Sign in to follow this  
JohnR

Sentence structure problem

I have a tag with a custom sentence structure" [M1] <on [D]> [M2]. " The memo reads" [M1]Rector of Blanckebir[y] [M2]when he received letters of protection from the king "

and the outcome is: (an unknown value) Rector of Blanckebir[y] (an unknown value) when he received letters of protection from the king on 11 Jan 1283 (an unknown value).

What am I doing wrong ?

I have a tag with a custom sentence structure" [M1] <on [D]> [M2]. " The memo reads" [M1]Rector of Blanckebir[y] [M2]when he received letters of protection from the king "

and the outcome is: (an unknown value) Rector of Blanckebir[y] (an unknown value) when he received letters of protection from the king on 11 Jan 1283 (an unknown value).

What am I doing wrong ?

If I'm reading the above correctly you do not include [M1] and [M2] in the memo... you separate the segments by || thus the memo should read as (without the quotes) "Rector of Blankebir[y]||when he received letters of protection from the king"

Since "[" and "]" are reserved characters, you might also need to include escape characters.

"Rector of Blankebir\[y\]||when he received letters of protection from the king"

What am I doing wrong ?

If I'm reading the above correctly you do not include [M1] and [M2] in the memo... you separate the segments by || thus the memo should read as (without the quotes) "Rector of Blankebir[y]||when he received letters of protection from the king"

I'll name myself Goofey before anyone else does. I simply wasn't thinking and when I found Memo Part 1 etc on my mouse right click on the memo field I assumed that something had changed since last I wrote such a sentence. Thanks.

Since "[" and "]" are reserved characters, you might also need to include escape characters.

"Rector of Blankebir\[y\]

Does this apply in name fields and other defined fields as well?

Brackets define the the tokens used in constructing sentence and source templates so they can mess up the output processing if used elsewhere. If the output doesn't work correctly, it might be necessary to use the escape character. This applies to any data field used in output.

Read the Escape Character help topic.

Brackets define the the tokens used in constructing sentence and source templates so they can mess up the output processing if used elsewhere. If the output doesn't work correctly, it might be necessary to use the escape character. This applies to any data field used in output.

Read the Escape Character help topic.

Thanks. Didn't even know it was a problem with TMG.