Mary2

compatibility with windows 7?

I am moving to a new computer with windows 7 from an older computer with windows XP. I have TMG v 6.12 on the old computer. I have made backup files of all my projects on the old computer so I can use them to "restore" to my new computer. But I need to know if TMG 6.12 is compatible with windows 7, or will I need to purchase TMG 7 for the new computer?

TMG v6.12 would run as a legacy application under WinVista with some limitations. TMG7 was designed to run under WinVista.

The same applies to Win7. It is better to use TMG7 if running under Win7.

Read the pinned topic about how to make the transition from TMG6 to TMG7.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=9001

I have the same problem in that I use TMG V6 and now have a new PC with Windows 7 which I want to transfer all my information to. From what I am reading TMG V6 does not work propoerly with Windows 7, is that correct? If it does not then I am happy to upgrade but will upgrade to TMG V8, however when will that be coming out as I do not want to do 2 upgrades (to TMG V7 then TMG V8).

Thanks

That's correct. You should not use v6.12 with Win7.

OK thanks. Do you have an approx date of when TMG V8 will be out?

I hope sooner than later.

Rougly how long is sooner...

Only Bob Velke can answer that question, and believe me- he won't.

WG never makes announcements about possible, probabale, or planned release dates.

Only Bob Velke can answer that question, and believe me- he won't.

WG never makes announcements about possible, probabale, or planned release dates.

I understand that they do not want to make an official statement, but do any users have an opinion on this? This year, next year...?

I obviously need to change over from TMG 6 but do not want to do 2 upgrades near each other

Thanks

I obviously need to change over from TMG 6 but do not want to do 2 upgrades near each other.

Just one user's opinion, but I found the upgrade from 6 to 7 nearly transparent. What primarily occured was the introduction of a set of very nice new features, and some bug fixes. The earlier upgrade from 4 to 5 was a pretty big learning curve of a new layout and massive new features, but the data conversion was automatic. Based on the description posted by Bob Velke about the likely new features in Version 8, I see nothing I can think that would make the upgrade from 7 to 8 a problem. And based on past history, I expect Version 8 will provide a simple (usually automatic) way to convert your Version 7 projects.

In my opinion I would not wait. I suggest you get an advanced jump on using the new features in Version 7 by upgrading now, and then you will only have to learn about the new Version 8 features when it comes out. For me learning in stages would be easier.

I've seen the recent announcement that 'they will be making an announcement about V8 soon", any ideas when the announcment will be made? I am hoping that this will then give some idea of when V8 will be available

Thanks, Shaun

As has been mentioned in numerous postings on this Forum, the current version of TMG works on a 64-bit Windows OS with the one exception that some report output types (such as Word) are not available if you run on a 64-bit version. All other functionality works on 64-bit. Also TMG is strictly a Windows application. Some users have reported installing Windows emulation packages on non-Windows operating systems and successfully using TMG within that emulation package. I don't remember if a user has reported running on Solaris, but I would assume it would work with an appropriate Windows emulation package.

I run TMG in a Parallels virtual machine on a MacBook, I don't see a version of Parallels that runs on Solaris, some comments in Parallels forums are dated 2006-2009 Parallels Tools for Solaris? doesn't look very promising.

Is TMG available in 64 bit version.

TMG runs under 64-bit versions of Windows but is a 32-bit application as are most applications being run under 64-bit versions of Windows.

A 64-bit version of TMG makes no sense and isn't necessary. TMG does not have the extended memory addressing requirements that a 64-bit compile would address.