bradhallsr

Cant print any PDF Reports on my Windows Vista 64 Bit computer.

I'm running TMG Version 7 Gold. My PC is running Windows Vista 64 Bit.

For the longest time now I have not been able to make, Print or view any PDF reports with TMG 7. I tried going through all the steps to install the PDF Printer, and have had no luck. I even went to the file and set it for compatability mode, still no luck.

Should I back-up my TMG files, and un-install TMG, then do a Re-install of TMG 7 Gold?? Will this fix my PDF problem, or is TMG 7 PDF Reports not able to work on a Windows Vista 64 Bit system?

At the bottom of the Report Definition Screen I had to change the Print Page Range number back to #1, how it got set to a much higher number is a mystery. After changing it back to #1, I can now make PDF files and print them.

I can't save any PDF files/reports. I have tried everything I can think of, but the reports just quit during creation if I try to save them to a file or folder, I even tried to save to my desk-top, with no luck. Anyone have any Idea what is wrong? My PC is running Windows Vista 64 bit.

I went and re-set up my PDF printer port to a new port and that fixed the problem of not being able to save any of my PDF Reports. Now I can make, View, and save any of my .PDF reports anywhere on my PC.

Thanks for the tip about making a dummy port for my PDF printer. Great Job!!!

Edited by bradhallsr

I am running TMG v7.04. My operating system is Windows 7, 64-bit. After some frustration trying to get reports to print I followed the instructions to install the PDF printer, including removing the previously installed PDF printer, reinstalling the printer, and creating a new printer port. A test using a group sheet report worked fine and I mistakenly thought my problems were over. Yesterday I went to create a descendant indented chart. After I clicked on "Create Report" the report program started up. As expected, it showed the initial preparation box indicating it was processing 800 or so persons. Then everything froze. When I went into Task Manager it showed both the report program and TMG as "not running." I had Task Manager end both programs.

I checked in the file in the folder I have designated for reports. TMG had created a PDF report, however, the file was 0 bytes in size. Today when I tried to delete that file from within WordPerfect x5 I got the error message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Print driver host for 32 bit applications. Close the file and try again." Attempts at creating a new report, I tried both group sheet and descendant indented, resulted in the same program lock-up and the same 0 byte files which couldn't be deleted because they were "open in Print driver for 32 bit applications." The 0 byte files deleted without problem using Windows Explorer.

After deleting the PDF files I tried to create a descendant indented report again. As before the "Progress" box appeared with the message "Calculating text for 806 people..." The progress indicator stopped at 75% with TMG frozen. Again I went into Task Manager. It showed both RR Descendant Indented and TMG as "not running."

Any suggestions?

Today when I tried to delete that file from within WordPerfect x5 I got the error message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Print driver host for 32 bit applications. Close the file and try again." Attempts at creating a new report, I tried both group sheet and descendant indented, resulted in the same program lock-up and the same 0 byte files which couldn't be deleted because they were "open in Print driver for 32 bit applications." The 0 byte files deleted without problem using Windows Explorer.

I'm confused by your reference to trying to delete the PDF file from within WordPerfect 5. Did you select Save to: Acrobat (PDF) in the Report Destination?

Virginia

Today when I tried to delete that file from within WordPerfect x5 I got the error message "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Print driver host for 32 bit applications. Close the file and try again." Attempts at creating a new report, I tried both group sheet and descendant indented, resulted in the same program lock-up and the same 0 byte files which couldn't be deleted because they were "open in Print driver for 32 bit applications." The 0 byte files deleted without problem using Windows Explorer.

I'm confused by your reference to trying to delete the PDF file from within WordPerfect 5. Did you select Save to: Acrobat (PDF) in the Report Destination?

Virginia

Before having to use TMG's PDF printer I save the files in WP format. After changing to the TMG PDF printer and saving the reports as PDF files I left unchanged the existing Preferences setting in TMG specifying the folder where the files would be saved. I happened to be using WordPerfect for something else and decided out of curiosity to see if I could delete the 0-byte PDF files from within WordPerfect. WordPerfect does a reasonable job of opening PDF files and of converting standard WPS files to PDF files. It would have deleted a 'normal' PDF file, so I was surprised by the message. I only included the message as a bit of additional information which might provide a clue to those more knowledgeable than I as to what is going on.

Stuart

After changing to the TMG PDF printer and saving the reports as PDF files...

You sound like you are trying to use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 directly. You can't do that.

You should never select the PDF driver as a printer driver from TMG (from Printer Setup) or from any other application.

You set up the PDF driver as I described on the forum (link above).

To print a report to PDF from TMG by selecting the output as Acrobat (PDF) on the report definition screen (File type). You then specify the path and filename for the PDF file (File name).

When you click [Create Report], TMG will send the output to the PDF driver.

After changing to the TMG PDF printer and saving the reports as PDF files...

You sound like you are trying to use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 directly. You can't do that.

You should never select the PDF driver as a printer driver from TMG (from Printer Setup) or from any other application.

You set up the PDF driver as I described on the forum (link above).

To print a report to PDF from TMG by selecting the output as Acrobat (PDF) on the report definition screen (File type). You then specify the path and filename for the PDF file (File name).

When you click [Create Report], TMG will send the output to the PDF driver.

I am quite aware that the TMG PDF printer is not for direct use. My problem is that when I try to get TMG to prepare a report it hangs -- the computer freezes -- shortly after the "Progress..." screen starts up. I added the WordPerfect bit simply as another potential clue. There is in fact nothing to print as the PDF files TMG manages to create are 0-byte files as TMG freezes soon after the point in the process of creating the PDF files where the shell of the file is created.

What was the file name and path you specified in TMG to save the pdf file?

Virginia

The following copied from the TMG Report Definition Screen - Decenant Indented Chart:

J:\Word Perfect Files\wptxt-TMG\Morton John K0358 20100425.PDF .

Stuart

To eliminate possible variables, you might try saving the PDF report to the C: drive - say to the desktop - with a name like DIC.pdf and see if it opens with Adobe.

Virginia

Nope. I tried to create a family group sheet. TMG hung up on the blank screen where the screen version of the group sheet would normally be displayed. I had to close TMG using Task Manager. TMG did, however, create a PDF file. In this case it was C:\Users\Dad\Desktop\TMGtest.pdf. As in the previous attempts the file size was shown as 0 bytes. Trying to open the file in Adobe's PDF reader resulted in the following message "There was an error opening this document. The file is already open or in use by another application."

Stuart