Rosanna

"Add child no father"

This is third attempt. Explorer problematic.. Went into previous posts for answer and nothing relevant as I dont use sentence structure. Looked in help menu - "Add a person"and then. "data entry relationships which sound like a lot of work for just this little problem.I am sure it can be explained more easily. None of info mentions how it will show up in report.

Problem

I had 5 illigitimate children to add to one family. (sigh!) I went into add person chose gender son/dtr and when I got to the "select 2nd parent" I tried ticking the box to highlight none and then later I ignored the box. Both had same result in descendants chart showing as "unknown Spouse". I tried to just use "add a person" but that goes back to the same "select a second parent" box.

In version 4 "link no person at present" doesnt show "unknown spouse"

Do I have to delete all these children or can they be adusted. Also how to I add a child without getting "unknown spouse" in repoet. All seems ok in the screen though.? One of these children belongs to the father and shows no mother. All have used their own name in surname for the child so probably no father or mother in the frame for these births!! Grandmother supplied the information so may not know of any defacto relationship or easier to just put birth.

Help appreciated. But remember no sentence structure please. I hope it is a simple one.

thank you in advance

Hi Rosanna,

Sorry you are having problems with your browser.

There are two descendant reports, but with the text you mention I assume you are using the Descendant Indented Chart report. If you will open that Report Definition, and select Options, you should click on the Miscellaneous tab. Under the "Other" group, uncheck the box "Unknown spouses" and you will no longer get the text you see.

You did not do anything wrong about entering the people. If you do not assign a Mother to a child, then that person is unknown. Whether that "unknown" text prints is only a matter of the report options, not how you entered the people.

Keep asking questions. As users we have "been there before" and are happy to help.