Sign in to follow this  
amaston

Journal Report Question

I have a family where a grandchild (Gladys) is found living with her grandmother (Emily). I have added a parent-bio tag for Gladys with and linked that same person with the known grandmother Emily. I can only get Emily and her children listed with a gender into the report. The 2 children of unknown gender show in Emily's child list, but do not display their descendants. How to I get that line of descendants to display? I realize we don't know if the parent was a mother or father, but we do know the relationship of the granddaughter to the grandmother, so we should be able to see the rest of that line.

Thanks.

I just did some testing and it seems that to be able to set a person as a Primary parent, you must identify the Sex of that parent person so that TMG knows whether to make them a father or mother. TMG will only follow the lineage of Primary parents. So to get them to be a descendant it seems you must "pick" a Sex so that they can be set as Primary parents. I can see that this is a problem in this case, but that is what TMG seems to require. I realize that I have always made a "guess" for the Sex of an unknown parent. (Thus I haven't noticed this before.) What I usually do when I do not know the gender of the unknown parent, and have no other data to make a better guess, is to guess them being female. Regardless, I make clear comments in the memo of the Relationship tags and a Note tag in the unknown parent to make it clear that I am guessing. Whatever guess you choose to make, be sure to make clear notes as to why you did this.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I just did some testing and it seems that to be able to set a person as a Primary parent, you must identify the Sex of that parent person so that TMG knows whether to make them a father or mother. TMG will only follow the lineage of Primary parents. So to get them to be a descendant it seems you must "pick" a Sex so that they can be set as Primary parents. I can see that this is a problem in this case, but that is what TMG seems to require. I realize that I have always made a "guess" for the Sex of an unknown parent. (Thus I haven't noticed this before.) What I usually do when I do not know the gender of the unknown parent, and have no other data to make a better guess, is to guess them being female. Regardless, I make clear comments in the memo of the Relationship tags and a Note tag in the unknown parent to make it clear that I am guessing. Whatever guess you choose to make, be sure to make clear notes as to why you did this.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thank you! I was afraid that is what I would have to do.