epaikin

Waiting for ver. 8

I was told that ver. 8 was in the pipeline and it wouldn't be long before it arrived....

Best regards

eåpaikin

Edited by epaikin

TMG v7 will run on any computer running WinXP, WinVista or Win7 that has adequate resources. TMG8 will run on the same computers that TMG7 will run on.

I installed to the default locations.

I use the toolbar icon to search for ID.

One of the error messages is:

"Alias 'REPEAT' is not found. 32REPUSH"

Neil -

Did you reboot after installing TMG?

Does Ctrl-I work for Search by ID without opening Windows Explorer (not Project Explorer, right?)

Was that the first error message (first message is the most critical)? For the' Alias Repeat' error message, run File / Maintenance / Initialize Repeat Files.

Also run the File / Maintenance routines in the order Optimize - Validate File Integrity - Optimize, until VFI reports no more errors.

Virginia

OK, I did all that and got the same results.

In running Maintenance, Validite File Integrity, the message box at the end said:

Validation Complete, no problems found

45 external exhibit files were checked

42 exhibit files were not found

No folders were specified to search for exhibits

(By the way, in this reply box how come I can't paste or insert an image?)

Anyway, what folders should I specify to be searched?

Anyway, what folders should I specify to be searched?

The folder(s) where the exhibits are located.

The default exhibits folder is:

C:\Users\your username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits

if that's where your exhibits are located.

Uh? Your exhibits are located where you put them.

You need to copy them to the defaults exhibit folder or to any valid user data location. You then need to set your Preferences Advanced tab exhibits path to the exhibits location.

And use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to update the exhibit paths.

Be sure to read and understand the 'Data File Storage' topic in help.

See the 'Missing Exhibits' and 'Moving Exhibits' topics in help.

My pictures show up in the program but I can't add any more or edit the one's I have. The Last VFI files says they were not found but they are there where the path points to.

I copied some images to the exhibits location as well, but they are included in the not found group as well.

This is bigger than I can understand.

Images show up as thumbnails but scanned documents show up as external files. Both images and documents were scanned by me on my scanner.

I can't add new images either. I can go and select them but nothing happens.

Have you read the 'Missing Exhibits' help topic?

Have you set the File / Preferences / Advanced exhibits path to the correct folder?

Have you run the external exhibits feature of File / maintenance / validate File Integrity to refresh the path for each exhibit?

I have read it over several times.

1c. Add the new Exhibits path(s) to the List of Folders for Location screen

i. On the List of folders for location screen, click [Add] and add the Exhibits folder path.

Note: If your exhibits are stored in multiple folders, you must add a path for every folder. If you add only the parent folder for the folder tree, the sub-folders will not be searched automatically.

I added the parent folder because it won't take the sub-folders adding to the list.

I end up with the same message: "44 external exhibit files were checked. 41 exhibit files were not found"

If I load an image, it displays the correct path for a moment, then disappears.

What am I doing wrong...if I am?

Edited by Neil

"I added the parent folder because it won't take the sub-folders adding to the list. I end up with the same message: "44 external exhibit files were checked. 41 exhibit files were not found""

I'm not sure why you were having trouble adding the sub-folders, but that is why you are still getting 41 exhibits not found. Since you only entered the parent folder, then only the parent folder is checked. (An option to check sub-folders would be a nice enhancement. )

"If I load an image, it displays the correct path for a moment, then disappears."

I would guess this is related to why you couldn't enter the sub-folders, but I don't have any good advise on what to do. Is is possible the exhibits are stored in a folder that you don't have access too.

Sheila Altenbernd

The path to my images is c:\users\neil\my pictures.

I can't select any sub-folders.

You may have gotten tangled up in Windows 7's library feature. Make sure that you're pointing to the actual native directory of your exhibits. I don't fully understand how these links work myself, but you might try c:\users\neil\pictures.

HTH

Robert

The problem is finally solved! It turns out that my photo images (JPG) were all checked off as hidden.

I went through Windows Explorer and unchecked the hidden box in Properties. Now it all works. I have no idea how my photos were all checked to be hidden while other folders with JPG's were not.

Thanks all for your help. This, I hope, is the final problem with my images. But you have been a great help in everything. Thanks for your time and concern for my frustration.