gillibrandd

Different sentence for Alive/Dead when Event Occurs

I am trying to generate a different sentence depending on whether the person was alive or not when an event occurred. This is mainly for the parents of the bride and groom at a wedding where they may be shown on the certificate even if they have died.

I thought something like if he is alive

[RF:father of groom] was shown as the father of the groom at [R:Bride] and [R:Groom]'s wedding <[L]> <[D]>. <[M2].>

But if he had died

[RF:father of groom] although he had died was shown as the father of the groom at [R:Bride] and [R:Groom]'s wedding <[L]> <[D]>. <[M2].>

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

Regards

Derek

:wub:

Make two different roles.

[RF:father of groom] was shown as the father of the groom at [R:Bride] and [R:Groom]'s wedding <[L]> <[D]>. <[M2].>

[RF:father of groom deceased] although he had died was shown as the father of the groom at [R:Bride] and [R:Groom]'s wedding <[L]> <[D]>. <[M2].>

If you are trying to affect the narrative of the Principals' sentences, then separate roles is probably the best solution. But TMG has a built-in sentence feature you might use.

If the LIVING flag is set for a person, then the entire sentence template for that person may be split into two parts by two adjacent vertical bars ‘||’ , i.e. “not-living text||otherwise text” . You can only use one set of these double bars in a sentence template. Everything before the separators will be used if the LIVING flag is set to ‘N’ for the person that is the focus of this sentence, otherwise (if LIVING is set to either ‘Y’ or ‘?’ ) the sentence structure after the separators will be used. Double-bars in the sentence template when [P2] is the focus will be controlled by the LIVING flag of [P2] not of [P1] of that tag. The person who is [W] is the focus of their Witness sentence, so double-bars in a Witness sentence template will be controlled by the LIVING flag of that Witness not of either Principal of that tag. Do not confuse this with the double bars defining split parts of a Principal or Witness memo.

In your case this feature would work in the Father's Witness sentence based on whether he was not living, but would not work for the Principals' sentences because they would be based on whether the Principal was not living.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am not sure that the Living Flag will work because it is whether they were living when the event occurred. So for instance a person may be the father of the bride (say) twice. The first wedding may be before he dies and the second after he dies.

So I think the two role approach is the best for my situation.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards

Derek