Sign in to follow this  
dreward

Install TMG7 in Win7

Can anyone tell me where I can find a detailed account how to install TMG7.04 into Windows 7 please.

I understand this process is so radically different than say XP that I have doubts about doing it.

Dave

Dave,

I don't know what you are expecting to be different, but nothing really is. TMG 7 arranged your data files as required by Windows Vista and Windows 7, so if you have already installed TMG 7 you've got everything organized as needed. Just install TMG on your new system, then copy a backup of your data to the new computer, and Restore it. The default locations will be fine.

If you really feel the need to use other file locations you can, and you should read the Data File Storage article in Help.

If you new computer is running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 TMG will work fine except you will not be able to create reports as files to your word processor. If that is your case ask for help with alternatives.

Terry

My thanks for your reply. I have read the Help topic more than once but would seem to have a sort of dyslexia when it comes to the subject of TMG and its installation.

This started way back in 1986 when I was sent on a course to learn how to use Wordperfect on Wang and the first PCs. The instructor there, an Indian of indeterminate age, started of by distributing a copy of WPs 4.2 with the following instructions, which in that little box above my eyes has stayed permanently anchored.

His words were “never ever willingly install a 3rd party program in the C drive and always make a separate drive for your programs as well as data”. And I have followed that advice to date and been saved a lot of grief from various malicious mails etc.

There must have been 100s of mails sent on the subject of installing TMG7 on Win 7 but each reply seems to start with the words Installing TMG in Win7 is different! Then I “read” that TMG is placed in the C drive.

I have two computers, one with WinXP where my TMG7 resides and a new Win 7 32-bit computer where anything but genealogy goes.

On the XP machine I have installed TMG using the following preferences.

TMG, and other genealogy related programs, drive I:

Data resulting from those programs gets stored on dr E:

In TMG Preferences > Current Project Options > Advanced, I have the following sub-directories under I:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\

Configuration Files\Export\Repeat Files\Report Output\Slideshow\Timelines

Under Drive E I have TMG-Backup7 and TMG Photo Exhibits

In drive C:\Docs And Settings\All Users\AppsData\TMGv7 the following sub-directories, these being installed automatically:

Buttons\forUpdate\Frames\Graphics\Languages\RRW\SysData

All I want to know is whether I can install/will be allowed to TMG7 in Windows 7 in the same way as I have for XP.

Sorry to ramble on.

Look forward to your answer

Dave

TMG7 works the same irrespective of the operating system that it is installed under. There is no intrinsic difference installing and running TMG7 under WinXP and Win7.

The user data folder can be located in any valid user data space irrespective of the operating system.

TMG7 works the same irrespective of the operating system that it is installed under. There is no intrinsic difference installing and running TMG7 under WinXP and Win7.

The user data folder can be located in any valid user data space irrespective of the operating system.

Thank you Jim

Dave

Dave,

Yes, you can install TMG7 on a separate drive if you want to on Windows 7. However, while I've followed the advice of your long-ago instructor for many years, I've come to believe it's now outdated. While I do still put all data on a separate drive, starting with Windows 7 I have installed all apps in their default locations. I've done this for two reasons. First, you never could actually install everything on a separate drive - some apps just don't allow you to do that. And some that appear to still often put stuff on the C: drive. Secondly, with Windows Vista, and now Windows 7, Windows has finally put some security around the "program space" if you use the default locations. Thus, I've come to think it's not worth the trouble to use non-standard locations, and actually provides some value to use the defaults.

Dave,

I don't know what you are expecting to be different, but nothing really is. TMG 7 arranged your data files as required by Windows Vista and Windows 7, so if you have already installed TMG 7 you've got everything organized as needed. Just install TMG on your new system, then copy a backup of your data to the new computer, and Restore it. The default locations will be fine.

If you really feel the need to use other file locations you can, and you should read the Data File Storage article in Help.

If you new computer is running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 TMG will work fine except you will not be able to create reports as files to your word processor. If that is your case ask for help with alternatives.

I have succesfully restored TMG to my new computer...I THINK! It all seems to be working very well. I downloaded the Trial version and used my serial no to unlock it. My next question:\\I notice a couple of users say "Just install TMG on your new system, then copy a backup of your data to the new computer, and Restore it". Pardon my ignorance....a possibly really dumb question...but I simply installed it and restored my data. What is the difference between "copyiing a backup to new computer" and restoring data?

Many thanks

Bil

Language.

You don't restore TMG (the program). You install it. You did that. You unlock it. You did that.

From your previous installation, you made backups.

If Win7 is on a new computer, you copy the backup(s) to the new computer (by some means).

After the backup (or backups) is on the machine with Win7, you restore the backups. You did that.

You have to have the backup file available to the copy of TMG that's installed on your new computer to do the restore. Usually the easiest way to do that is to copy the backup file to the new system, but you can restore a backup that's located on another computer if you have a local network.