Wholly Genes Forum

John Oldman

28th May 2010

TMG Gold v 7.04.000

Windows XP Professional Version 2002

Service Pack 3

2.93 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

ENTERING EXHIBITS

I have set up my exhibits as external, in a tree of folders.

I currently have 100 files in total in the tree.

When I view the Exhibit Log, with a focus of All Exhibits, in either of the Details, Tag Entry or Citations windows I get a count of 215 exhibits.

QUESTION 1: Is this what I should expect or have I erred in entry of exhibits.

· My procedure was to enter all Primary exhibits, portraits, via the icon on Details window

· All other Exhibits I entered in each of the Tag Entry and Citations windows, i.e. 2 entries each person.

I have searched all 53 pages of the Forum seeking guidance, but I am not convinced that I completely understand it all.

Upon experimenting I have discovered that when I have a Tag Entry with a Witness(es) if I only attach an exhibit to the Citation window that exhibit does not show in the Witness(es) Exhibit Log, whereas I need to attach the exhibit to the Tag Entry window.

QUESTION 2: If I have erred, what is the correct, or recommended, process.

You have 100 external exhibit files.

You have 215 exhibit records. Each exhibit record contains a link to an external exhibit file.

Since you linked to some exhibit files more than once, you have more exhibit records than there are exhibit files.

%%%%%%%%%%

The exhibits that show in a person's Exhibit log are those exhibits linked to the person and to the events in which that person is a principal.

When the person is a witness to an event, an exhibit linked to the event will not show in that person's exhibit log (when the focus is that person).

Exhibits linked to a citation don't show in a person's exhibit log (when the focus is that person).

%%%%%%%%%%

Since you have chosen to maintain your exhibits in a tree, you should manage those exhibits outside of TMG. Don't use TMG backup/restore for your exhibits. Restore will restore the exhibits but to one folder rather than reconstructing the tree.

You have 100 external exhibit files.

You have 215 exhibit records. Each exhibit record contains a link to an external exhibit file.

Since you linked to some exhibit files more than once, you have more exhibit records than there are exhibit files.

%%%%%%%%%%

The exhibits that show in a person's Exhibit log are those exhibits linked to the person and to the events in which that person is a principal.

When the person is a witness to an event, an exhibit linked to the event will not show in that person's exhibit log (when the focus is that person).

Exhibits linked to a citation don't show in a person's exhibit log (when the focus is that person).

%%%%%%%%%%

Since you have chosen to maintain your exhibits in a tree, you should manage those exhibits outside of TMG. Don't use TMG backup/restore for your exhibits. Restore will restore the exhibits but to one folder rather than reconstructing the tree.

Thanks Jim,

From your comments I have now determined that from any given exhibit log I can get a variation of views dependent upon my choice of focus for that log.

This has helped me to some degree.

However I'm still not sure on how many exhibit logs to which I should attach the same exhibit.

Further, when I use a photo of a headstone identifying multiple persons buried in the same plot should I rename the exhibit file for each person (Principal) for whom I use it associated with their Death & Burial Tags, or is it OK to use the same file multiple times?

You can link an external exhibit file as many times as you wish. It makes no sense to save the same file under different names.

Exhibits can be linked to a person, an event, a citation, a source, a place, a repository. An exhibit can also be unlinked (general) but that serves no purpose. From TMG, only exhibits linked to people and events can be output in reports. With Second Site, exhibits linked to the other focuses can also be output.

There is a considerable amount of information about exhibits in Help.

I have never been very happy about the way TMG7.04 deals with exhibits (internal or external), but as often happens, in time I have come in terms with it using now only external.

However, I am wondering if the following is a common situation or is just with me:

When adding jpg evidences to the project, I may use according to my convenience, the "Add" button or the "Scan" button.

In the first case, I use to copy a previously scanned (outside TMG) jpg file to my exhibits folder and then add it. In the second case, the image is scanned on the go within TMG and the file automatically saved to the exhibits folder.

The resulting difference is that while the first image file may still be viewed with any image program, the second opens only within TMG. Again, is this a common situation?