New PC with Windows 7 64bit.

Installed TMG 7.04 on new machine. TMG itself functions as on the old XP machine. Problem on the new W7 is when VCF is called for a box chart, it starts but then hangs (not responding). The message bar at low right is about 2/3 along the full window. I can start VCF by iteself and build charts ok. Any idea as to what the problem would be?

This sounds like a data problem, or a GenBridge problem. It hard to tell without some more information.

What kind of chart are you trying create?

Does it happen with other styles of chart?

Is it project-specific?

Does it also happen if you create a chart from the Sample project?

This sounds like a data problem, or a GenBridge problem. It hard to tell without some more information.

What kind of chart are you trying create?

Does it happen with other styles of chart?

Is it project-specific?

Does it also happen if you create a chart from the Sample project?

Robin, just ran some tests here are the results.

(1) Using the project in question (my main project).

* Ancestor Box Chart: Error msg "Msoft Visual C++ Runtime Lib window, Runtime error, Prog=c:\program files(x86)\The Mater Genealogist\v7\vcf.exe"

* Descendancy Narritive, Family Group Sheet, Fan Chart, Journal and Pedigree all ok.

* Descendant Box Chart: hangs.....click close (X) and get VCF window "VCF has stopped working"

* Hourglass Box Chart: same error as Ancestor BOx Chart.

(2) Using the Sample project

* No errors for any report.

(3) Another smaller project I had built before installing TMG on the W7 PC (previous machine was XP) .

* No errors for any report.

(4) Can open VCF and load several charts generated from the "project in question" before installing TMG on W7 and all charts come in ok.

Do the problematic charts include images?

Virginia

The project that has the problem does utilize images in the box charts; however, the sample project which also has images runs fine.

Could it be the same problem you had last year with 16-bit images in VCF?

Virginia

I still had TMG on my old PC. Did a backup then moved that file to the new (w7) machine and did a restore. TMG on the W7 machine does now work correctly with VCF. After I ran the Validate File Integraty, all my exhibit images also show up correctly. Can't explain why I had trouble before the backup/restore but it works now!

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Joe

I'm back!.

Several days ago, used VCF to generate four descendant charts with images (my own project). All ok. Yesterday could not generate descendant charts with images.

Can build ancestor, descendant and hourglass charts with NO images but all fail if images are included. When I create a chart with images (my own project), the progress bar stops at 3 units long then the VCF window turns gray and "not responding".

Can build ancestor, descendant and hourglass charts with or without images using the sample project.

Running Validate File Integrity makes no difference.

The last descendant chart created displayed two images "all black". That was because they were 16 bit grayscale. Went to the images and resized to 8 bits. Ran the chart create again and it generated ok including the two, corrected images.

The only thing I have done between the good/bad image charts is several computer shut downs and start ups. No new images or data.

Any ideas?

Joe