wchap

Moving TMG to new Computer

1. Download and install the "30 day free trial" from the WG website.

2. Unlock it with the code you received when you bought TMG7, entering the email address you used at that time.

3. Backup your data on your old computer, and copy that backup to the new computer (any method of copying is fine, but if you use a CD, copy the backup from the CD to the hard drive of your new computer).

4. Restore your backup on the new computer.

5. If you have external exhibits, and they are all in a single folder, you can either include them in the backup, or you can copy them to your new computer manually. If they are in more than one folder, you must copy them manually.

6. If you have external exhibits, the folder(s) they are in will most likely have a different path than on the old computer (especially if you are changing operating systems, and if you use the default locations, or place them under "my documents or the like). If that is the case, TMG will not see them. To fix that, run File > Maintenance > Verify File Integrity and enter the folder(s) where the exhibits are on the new computer when prompted. This will fix the issue, provided you don't have two or more exhibits with the same name in different folders; if you do, you will have to fix that manually.

I bought TMG7 and installed it on my desktop (runs Win XP) - everything was fine. I bought a new laptop last week and I tried to install TMG7 on it (runs Win7 64-bit professional) and got the following msg:

Cannot update the cursor_PLACEINI, since it is read-only.

Any suggestions?

Barbara

In addition to posting this msg here I also sent it to WG Support. Phil was able to come up with the solution. I re-installed TMG7 using Safe Mode then restarted my laptop normally and tried TMG7. I got a couple weird error msgs which I tried 'Ignore' on but TMG7 still closed. I later tried TMG7 again without a restart of the computer and everything works fine. I've been in and out or TMG7 on the laptop many times since then and absolutely no problems. Hats off to Phil!

Barbara

I bought TMG7 and installed it on my desktop (runs Win XP) - everything was fine. I bought a new laptop last week and I tried to install TMG7 on it (runs Win7 64-bit professional) and got the following msg:

Cannot update the cursor_PLACEINI, since it is read-only.

Any suggestions?

Barbara