Rosanna

Broken lines descendant chart

I have accepted that by attaching a report document to an email it needs to be converted by Word6.00/95 text converter as prompted which gives broken lines. However now I am not sure. Can it be fixed? I have my report settings on Word 2000 or later. I dont want to upgrade from Windows XP until I see what the future is for TMG 8 and what software I will need. Does anyone have a solution please? Or maybe refer to a previous thread.

regards

Are you trying to send the document as an email directly from Word rather than as an attachment in your email service? What report are you sending? If there are graphic lines would saving/sending it as a PDF file work better?

Virginia

Are you trying to send the document as an email directly from Word rather than as an attachment in your email service? What report are you sending? If there are graphic lines would saving/sending it as a PDF file work better?

Virginia

Hello Virginia

To the rescue again! I sent a detailed reply and ensured it was clear, but it appears it didn't arrive as explorer went down again. I will send it tomorrrow. - many thanks

Rosanna.

Virginia

Hello Virginia

To the rescue again! I sent a detailed reply and ensured it was clear, but it appears it didn't arrive as explorer went down again. I will send it tomorrrow. - many thanks

Rosanna.

Hello Virginia.

I am sending descendant indented charts. I save it to desktop Word, not TMG as I suggested, prompts me to use the text converter.. I then attach it to an email as usual. When I open to document I can see the vertical lines have broken in the conversion, i.e. - - -

PDF

My Adobe Writer is no longer working (see below). But yes it would send ok.

However, I use a word document so my recipients can make changes to the actual document and send it back. Not by using editing tools, just adding and editing information using bold type. It is easy for them and easy for me as I retain the ID’s. I do know that once the document is changed as a Word document this causes broken lines but it used to arrive at the recipients mailbox intact (solid lines).

I see the vertical lines are intact on the screen before it is converted. It is only when I attach them to the email that the line becomes broken - - - . I think this has only happened recently since I changed from Windows XP2 to XP3. I recall this happened in Version 4 and I had to get new fonts (you sent them). But it was just too old for Word 3.

When I go into reports I choose file type “Word for windows 2000 or later”

More on PDF

I had an “Adobe Writer” for my business that I purchased over 10 years ago. I used to convert Word documents into PDF files and lock them, but it seems to have stopped working since I changed to XP3 recently. It cost me a fortune from Adobe, who had the market then, but I didn’t keep it updated as I only used the converter (called the distiller). So I can’t understand why other people who don’t have a lot of programmes can convert documents into PDF’s. I have tried to find out how to get a cheaper converter but to no avail. I have asked what software they are using but they don’t seem to know. I know there are illegal programmes out there but maybe there is a legal generic one I can get. Out of topic but I really need to know.

Kind regards

Rosanna.

Rosanna -

As a long-time WordPerfect and now Open Office user, I don't have much experience with Word so am not sure what is going on. I can save a report as a .doc file using the Word for Windows2000 option in TMG - and send it as an e-mail without losing the lines. Where does the text converter come into it? Is this after opening it in an earlier version of Word?

If the recipient will be editing or adding text, I see that PDF is not a practical option for you. Maybe another Word user will have a suggestion for sending the Word file without losing the lines.

Virginia

Rosanna -

As a long-time WordPerfect and now Open Office user, I don't have much experience with Word so am not sure what is going on. I can save a report as a .doc file using the Word for Windows2000 option in TMG - and send it as an e-mail without losing the lines. Where does the text converter come into it? Is this after opening it in an earlier version of Word?

If the recipient will be editing or adding text, I see that PDF is not a practical option for you. Maybe another Word user will have a suggestion for sending the Word file without losing the lines.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

Yes it sis strange as I never have this problem with any other work I save to desktop etc. When I save it to desktop it comes up with a message that "the file needs to be saved using Word6/95 text converter." it goes on to say to ensure it is from a trusted source before you do it. I think it is fixable but I am at a loss as to why it occurs from files from the report.

thanks anyway. I am about to reinstall Adobe

regards

I'd like to think there is a better solution for you than going to PDF - which your recipient can't edit like the .doc file.

One thing you might try. Check the setting in your TMG report preferences:

Preferences / Program Options / Reports / Prompt to open file output :

If you have it set now to open the report, change it to 'Always ask'. Then say NO after you run the report in TMG. Maybe that will bypass the converter and allow the formatting to remain - and the report to be e-mailed from the desktop as is.

Virginia

I'd like to think there is a better solution for you than going to PDF - which your recipient can't edit like the .doc file.

One thing you might try. Check the setting in your TMG report preferences:

Preferences / Program Options / Reports / Prompt to open file output :

If you have it set now to open the report, change it to 'Always ask'. Then say NO after you run the report in TMG. Maybe that will bypass the converter and allow the formatting to remain - and the report to be e-mailed from the desktop as is.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia

I did this but the document wont save unless you say "yes" to the conversion. I looked at microsoft updates and I had a lot of Office Word 7 so I deleted these. However it hasn't made a difference. I dont get this conversion message when I attach documents done in Word 2003 and no one else seems to have this problem in TMG. I will have to keep troubleshooting. Thank you for you time

regards

Rosanna.

>>>

I am sending descendant indented charts. I save it to desktop Word, not TMG as I suggested, prompts me to use the text converter.. I then attach it to an email as usual. When I open to document I can see the vertical lines have broken in the conversion, i.e. - - - <<<

What you are describing would be consistent with your saved report not being in Word format but rather in text format. On the report definition screen are you sure that you have set the report file type to "Word for Windows 2000 or later?" The filename extension should be ".DOC" -- TMG will attach that automatically. If you are in fact getting your report in .doc format then Word should not be prompting you at all when you open the report -- and your lines ought to be intact. When you attach the report to an e-mail as a file it should be exactly the same to the recipient as it was when generated.

I know that you said that you are using the right format -- but sometimes drop-down lists keep the focus of the mouse and can be accidentally changed by movement of the scrolling wheel.

Hope this helps.

Robert

What you are describing would be consistent with your saved report not being in Word format but rather in text format.

Robert -

Googling the conversion message, it appears to relate to the Word version or combination of versions on a machine rather than to a text format. Rosanna suggested the problem may have come about with an update from XP2 to XP3. One of the Google discussions mentioned an association with a MS update.

Virginia

What you are describing would be consistent with your saved report not being in Word format but rather in text format.

Robert -

Googling the conversion message, it appears to relate to the Word version or combination of versions on a machine rather than to a text format. Rosanna suggested the problem may have come about with an update from XP2 to XP3. One of the Google discussions mentioned an association with a MS update.

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

As I re-read the correspondence I think you're right. Perhaps the best course for Rosanna would be to uninstall all versions of Word, reinstall the latest she can lay her hands on, and make sure that all the Office patches & updates are installed. The process sounds more formidable than it is in reality.

I don't see how the operating system upgrade to XP3 would affect the content of a Word document or fool Word into asking for the text conversion. Of course we're discussing computers and Microsoft, so who knows?

All good wishes.

Robert

>>>

I am sending descendant indented charts. I save it to desktop Word, not TMG as I suggested, prompts me to use the text converter.. I then attach it to an email as usual. When I open to document I can see the vertical lines have broken in the conversion, i.e. - - - <<<

What you are describing would be consistent with your saved report not being in Word format but rather in text format. On the report definition screen are you sure that you have set the report file type to "Word for Windows 2000 or later?" The filename extension should be ".DOC" -- TMG will attach that automatically. If you are in fact getting your report in .doc format then Word should not be prompting you at all when you open the report -- and your lines ought to be intact. When you attach the report to an e-mail as a file it should be exactly the same to the recipient as it was when generated.

I know that you said that you are using the right format -- but sometimes drop-down lists keep the focus of the mouse and can be accidentally changed by movement of the scrolling wheel.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Robert -

Virginia

As I re-read the correspondence I think you're right. Perhaps the best course for Rosanna would be to uninstall all versions of Word, reinstall the latest she can lay her hands on, and make sure that all the Office patches & updates are installed. The process sounds more formidable than it is in reality.

I don't see how the operating system upgrade to XP3 would affect the content of a Word document or fool Word into asking for the text conversion. Of course we're discussing computers and Microsoft, so who knows?

All good wishes.

Robert

Thanks you Robert and Virginia. Robert here is the catch. My system was working well with 2003. ie descendant chart. However I was afraid of loosing all my data as computer is getting old and I didn't want to have to install the latest Windows and Word package until TMG catches up. I discovered I didn't have my Office disk. It was missing along with one other. (I often get a neighbour to mind all my disks while I am away as he has a lot of security). So I paid an arm and leg (cost of a new computer) to get my whole system and all its contents ghosted to an external modem which what was supposed to be scheduled daily back ups. It was during this business (very recently) that the Tech noticed I didn't have an XP3 update. I seem to have had this problem since then. I cant recall having to convert it before. So cant reinstall Word. However I notice " Word6/95 text converter." is a very old file so I am going to try and find it on my system and delete it. So you are both right. It seems to be a problem external to TMG. I will let you know how but doubt anyone else would have my problem.

Thank you for your help.

regards

Rosanna

Thanks you Robert and Virginia. Robert here is the catch. My system was working well with 2003. ie descendant chart. However I was afraid of loosing all my data as computer is getting old and I didn't want to have to install the latest Windows and Word package until TMG catches up. I discovered I didn't have my Office disk. It was missing along with one other. (I often get a neighbour to mind all my disks while I am away as he has a lot of security). So I paid an arm and leg (cost of a new computer) to get my whole system and all its contents ghosted to an external modem which what was supposed to be scheduled daily back ups. It was during this business (very recently) that the Tech noticed I didn't have an XP3 update. I seem to have had this problem since then. I cant recall having to convert it before. So cant reinstall Word. However I notice " Word6/95 text converter." is a very old file so I am going to try and find it on my system and delete it. So you are both right. It seems to be a problem external to TMG. I will let you know how but doubt anyone else would have my problem.

Thank you for your help.

regards

Rosanna

If you have your Office validation key I would be glad to send you a copy of Office 2003. If you can't find it you might be able to get from your existing installation. It's in the registry somewhere -- alas, I don't recollect where and I am no longer using that version of Office.

Robert

Robert -

Virginia

All good wishes.

Robert

Thank you Robert and Virginia. Robert here is the catch. My system was working well with 2003. ie descendant chart. However I was afraid of losing all my data as computer is getting old and I didn't want to have to install the latest Windows and Word package until TMG catches up. I discovered I didn't have my Office disk. It was missing along with one other. (I often get a neighbour to mind all my disks while I am away as he has a lot of security). So I paid an arm and leg (cost of a new computer) to get my whole system and all its contents ghosted to an external modem which what was supposed to be scheduled daily back ups. It was during this business (very recently) that the Tech noticed I didn't have an XP3 update. I seem to have had this problem since then. I cant recall having to convert it before. So cant reinstall Word. However I notice " Word6/95 text converter." is a very old file so I am going to try and find it on my system and delete it. So you are both right. It seems to be a problem external to TMG. I will let you know how but doubt anyone else would have my problem.

Thank you for your help.

regards

Rosanna

Hello Robert and Virginia

I replied to this theme stating why I cant reinstall. I also said it was not TMG specific. However I just tried sending reports to "my documents" and although it asked to convert the files ,when they were opened in my documents they were ok. I sent another file to desktop and opened it and it looked ok. I then attached it to an email and sent it to my other mail box and it arrived with broken lines. I then sent it from my documents as an attachment to my email and once again it has broken lines. I then sent a new one to my documents and was asked to convert. I opened it in my docs and it was ok. But I opened it a second time and it had broken lines. It just doesnt make sense.

I would put up with broken lines in emails as I am at the end of this part of my book. But if I cant use it in my docs I have probably spent all the money on ghosting my programmes for nothing. What Word program can I upgrade to that is compatible with V7? This is my only option as far as I can see. As you said <Perhaps the best course for Rosanna would be to uninstall all versions of Word, reinstall the latest she can lay her hands on>. However what if it is in XP3? Has there been a thread on this?

How feasible is it to get a new computer with Win 7 installed and not Win 10. Last time I checked Win 7 wasnt compatible with this TMG version. Shall I start a new thread on this? It will be several months before I need to complete my book and then I will need the descendant charts.

Also I cant find the text converter on my system although there is another file name relating to a file that is part of a "Word file that converts documents which is still there, but not working. The message is that it may not have been fully uninstalled. It send me to microsoft but nothing there on this error. I dont know if it is part of TMG - mswrd525.wcp Do you know/ please.

kind regards

Rosanna

Thank you for your help.

regards

Rosanna

If you have your Office validation key I would be glad to send you a copy of Office 2003. If you can't find it you might be able to get from your existing installation. It's in the registry somewhere -- alas, I don't recollect where and I am no longer using that version of Office.

Robert

Thank you Robert. What do you use now? I should have kept the keys seperate as I so with other programmes. I will look for it, but know it wasn't apparent on start up. I have been offered the Word 2003 version but keys were the problem, thank you very much. I was thinking about advertising for one not being used in my local paper. Also I was told that some stores still sell it and would be happy to reduce the price. I havent followed this up yet.

Further to my problem I looked at past posts and found Terry's answer to my problem re updating. I will still have to use XP for reports even if I had Win 7. No one seems to talk about XP3 ( all XP2) and I have been looking on the Microsoft site and other forums. I havent come across XP3 issues or even compatibility. I have come to the conclusion that I should consider reinstalling XP2 first rather than Word. As I said it seemd to have started with this installation.

Once again thank you for your kind offer.

regards

Rosanna

Dear Rosanna,

I am having a lot of difficulty in understanding some of what you have written. You seem to be confusing the operating system with your Word program or at least not distinguishing clearly between them in your posts.

Your computer's operating system is Windows XP. I think you are at the latest (and last!) version of that with the installation of Service Pack 3. Many of us call that XP3 for short. Microsoft Word is a program which runs under the operating system. When you say "Office Word 7" I don't know what you mean. The three most recent versions of Word are from Office 2003, Office 2007, and, just coming on the market, Office 2010. All will run perfectly well under Windows XP, any version.

TMG 7 writes Word files that will open correctly in all the versions of Word that I have mentioned and a few others as well. Word 2003 is particularly good, for me at least, because its interface (not the "ribbon") is one I am familiar with. TMG files written in the format "Word 2000 and later" work perfectly for me in Word 2003.

Does the "Ghosting" program which you bought do more than back up your files? Perhaps if we knew a little more about that matters might become clearer.

Robert

Hello Robert

No I know the difference between operating systems and software as I am a computer user for about 13 years using the old DOS system. I have also referred to XP2 and XP3 throughout our conversations. However I am trying to understand why the problem should occur so suddenly.

What I don’t know is what is compatible with TMG 7 and what isn't. You said <Word 2003 is particularly good, for me at least, because its interface (not the "ribbon") is one I am familiar with. TMG files written in the format "Word 2000 and later" work perfectly for me in Word 2003>.

Well yes, that is what I am using and this is my problem. It was ok before and now it isn't because I have to convert all my files. Where this command to convert comes from I do not know as I have searched my files. I have no choice in the matter if I want to save the file using the converter.

I have been trouble shooting with you and Virginia and as a result some things have been ruled out so my discussion has progressed as a response to this interaction. That is why it is not fluid. For example I found that descendants charts saved in 'my docs ' looked ok on first look. But once I had opened it a second time it reverted back to broken lines. I can see this is hard to understand and I don’t understand it. So this changed the problem. I thought it was Word 2003 itself and had nothing to do with it being used from TMG or in any other. I then oscillated and realised that yes it is still related to TMG Word 2003 used in reports which is the only Word program that asks me to convert it. Also it is the only document that uses graphics. And it is the graphic that are my problem (Vertical line) Maybe it is as easy as installing a new font. Maybe I have lost the font that does this? I know when I was using TMG version 4 I had to download new fonts at one stage.

To answer some of your questions.

1) I am merely saying the problem started with XP3 installation. Perhaps this is not compatible with TMG? But I am sure others are using it and haven’t had a problem. All information I have found for troubleshooting relates to XP2. Virginia drew attention to discussions on the net about a problem with XP3 and I am looking at this.

2) A previous post asks about the descendant charts in Word 2007 and Terry said that no they do not work with newer operating systems and Word packages and he suggested doing charts with XP - presumably with Word 2003. (You can keep XP on your computer and run with 2010 and obviously 2007).

3) Office 2007. Well no I did mean Word 2007. Office is a package and includes a lot of other programmes such as access, excel, PowerPoint etc. But not all people have the full office system - I have never had it. You can buy Word 2007 separately. I had Word 2003 and not the full Office package. It had a few other programmes i.e. money something but not the big ones such as excel. So Word 2007 is correct.

4) A new Windows operating system Microsoft 2010 is about to be released as you know as well a new Microsoft Office 2010 package is also going to be available. (Bought separately as always). This includes Word 2010. So if I am going to buy a new computer it is not going to solve my problem as TMG is not compatible with Word 2010 (nor 2007). You can run the new operating systems concurrently with XP and this is what Terry was saying and that is what I am saying. Even if I upgrade I will also need Word 2003. But I need to solve this problem.

5) Ghosting is taking my operating system and everything on my computer and storing it on an external hard drive. Ghosting is a way of doing it that doesn’t require individual installations. Some people only use external hard drives because they can’t lose their data if the computer goes down. I did this so that I don’t lose my data and that I can continue to use Word 3 as don’t have the disc to reinstall. But unless I can’t fix this problem it was to no avail.

I found that some files sent to me with extension “xml” instead of “doc” . I couldn't read them. This primarily related to vista package and all its programmes and I am not sure but think it is Word 2007 as well. Also some people couldn't open my attachments but many not experience enough to be able to tell me what system and software they had.

A compatibility pack is available to make sure that you can open and save Office Open XML Formats in earlier versions of Microsoft Office and I think this is the problem. I might have got this program in an automatic download. I was getting downloads for Office 2007 which I don’t have so anything is likely.

This is from Microsoft. <You can install the compatibility pack on a computer that is running Microsoft Office 2003 programs, Microsoft Office XP programs, or Microsoft Office 2000 programs. When you install the compatibility pack, you can open, edit, save, and create files in the robust Office Open XML Formats.> compatibility pack is available to make sure that you can open and save Office Open XML Formats in earlier versions of Microsoft Office.>

Now as I said it is possible that I received this in an automatic download and it is converting my files in such a way that I lose the solid vertical line and have a broken line. As this is only a problem with Descendants charts and no other documents so it appears the compatibility pack just may be the problem.

Although I would like to know what TMG fonts are necessary to draw these lines.

This is my next step is to see if I have this compatibility download that may have been included in a download I can’t identify.

So please close this topic I will continue to try and find a solution since no one else has experienced this.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards

Rosanna.

Dear Rosanna,

I am having a lot of difficulty in understanding some of what you have written. You seem to be confusing the operating system with your Word program or at least not distinguishing clearly between them in your posts.

Your computer's operating system is Windows XP. I think you are at the latest (and last!) version of that with the installation of Service Pack 3. Many of us call that XP3 for short. Microsoft Word is a program which runs under the operating system. When you say "Office Word 7" I don't know what you mean. The three most recent versions of Word are from Office 2003, Office 2007, and, just coming on the market, Office 2010. All will run perfectly well under Windows XP, any version.

TMG 7 writes Word files that will open correctly in all the versions of Word that I have mentioned and a few others as well. Word 2003 is particularly good, for me at least, because its interface (not the "ribbon") is one I am familiar with. TMG files written in the format "Word 2000 and later" work perfectly for me in Word 2003.

Does the "Ghosting" program which you bought do more than back up your files? Perhaps if we knew a little more about that matters might become clearer.

Robert

Hello Robert

No I know the difference between operating systems and software as I am a computer user for about 13 years using the old DOS system. I have also referred to XP2 and XP3 throughout our conversations. However I am trying to understand why the problem should occur so suddenly.

What I don’t know is what is compatible with TMG 7 and what isn't. You said <Word 2003 is particularly good, for me at least, because its interface (not the "ribbon") is one I am familiar with. TMG files written in the format "Word 2000 and later" work perfectly for me in Word 2003>.

Well yes, that is what I am using and this is my problem. It was ok before and now it isn't because I have to convert all my files. Where this command to convert comes from I do not know as I have searched my files. I have no choice in the matter if I want to save the file using the converter.

I have been trouble shooting with you and Virginia and as a result some things have been ruled out so my discussion has progressed as a response to this interaction. That is why it is not fluid. For example I found that descendants charts saved in 'my docs ' looked ok on first look. But once I had opened it a second time it reverted back to broken lines. I can see this is hard to understand and I don’t understand it. So this changed the problem. I thought it was Word 2003 itself and had nothing to do with it being used from TMG or in any other. I then oscillated and realised that yes it is still related to TMG Word 2003 used in reports which is the only Word program that asks me to convert it. Also it is the only document that uses graphics. And it is the graphic that are my problem (Vertical line) Maybe it is as easy as installing a new font. Maybe I have lost the font that does this? I know when I was using TMG version 4 I had to download new fonts at one stage.

To answer some of your questions.

1) I am merely saying the problem started with XP3 installation. Perhaps this is not compatible with TMG? But I am sure others are using it and haven’t had a problem. All information I have found for troubleshooting relates to XP2. Virginia drew attention to discussions on the net about a problem with XP3 and I am looking at this.

2) A previous post asks about the descendant charts in Word 2007 and Terry said that no they do not work with newer operating systems and Word packages and he suggested doing charts with XP - presumably with Word 2003. (You can keep XP on your computer and run with 2010 and obviously 2007).

3) Office 2007. Well no I did mean Word 2007. Office is a package and includes a lot of other programmes such as access, excel, PowerPoint etc. But not all people have the full office system - I have never had it. You can buy Word 2007 separately. I had Word 2003 and not the full Office package. It had a few other programmes i.e. money something but not the big ones such as excel. So Word 2007 is correct.

4) A new Windows operating system Microsoft 2010 is about to be released as you know as well a new Microsoft Office 2010 package is also going to be available. (Bought separately as always). This includes Word 2010. So if I am going to buy a new computer it is not going to solve my problem as TMG is not compatible with Word 2010 (nor 2007). You can run the new operating systems concurrently with XP and this is what Terry was saying and that is what I am saying. Even if I upgrade I will also need Word 2003. But I need to solve this problem.

5) Ghosting is taking my operating system and everything on my computer and storing it on an external hard drive. Ghosting is a way of doing it that doesn’t require individual installations. Some people only use external hard drives because they can’t lose their data if the computer goes down. I did this so that I don’t lose my data and that I can continue to use Word 3 as don’t have the disc to reinstall. But unless I can’t fix this problem it was to no avail.

I found that some files sent to me with extension “xml” instead of “doc” . I couldn't read them. This primarily related to vista package and all its programmes and I am not sure but think it is Word 2007 as well. Also some people couldn't open my attachments but many not experience enough to be able to tell me what system and software they had.

A compatibility pack is available to make sure that you can open and save Office Open XML Formats in earlier versions of Microsoft Office and I think this is the problem. I might have got this program in an automatic download. I was getting downloads for Office 2007 which I don’t have so anything is likely.

This is from Microsoft. <You can install the compatibility pack on a computer that is running Microsoft Office 2003 programs, Microsoft Office XP programs, or Microsoft Office 2000 programs. When you install the compatibility pack, you can open, edit, save, and create files in the robust Office Open XML Formats.> compatibility pack is available to make sure that you can open and save Office Open XML Formats in earlier versions of Microsoft Office.>

Now as I said it is possible that I received this in an automatic download and it is converting my files in such a way that I lose the solid vertical line and have a broken line. As this is only a problem with Descendants charts and no other documents so it appears the compatibility pack just may be the problem.

This is my next step is to see if I have this compatibility download that may have been included in a download I can’t identify.

So please close this topic I will continue to try and find a solution since no one else has experienced this.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards

Rosanna.

The four WG fonts are:

A Line TMG (Alinetmg.ttf)

HelvSB75 (helvsb75.TTF)

HelvSS75 (Helvss75.ttf)

Wholly genes LD (Wholly.ttf)

Let me know if you are missing any and I'll send them along -

Virginia

Virginia,

This doesn't sound like a font install problem, but a change to the font-substitution rules inside Word. I know that MS was getting more picky about symbol fonts and making font substitutions, and in the case of box drawing symbols moving to the improved Courier New font where the box symbols are embedded at their proper Unicode code points. I don't think that Alinetmg.ttf or Wholly.ttf are properly designated as symbol fonts for use with later operating systems and hence the substitution occurs. It is likely that some MS update is now enforcing their rules more strongly hence the problem.

Robin

2) A previous post asks about the descendant charts in Word 2007 and Terry said that no they do not work with newer operating systems and Word packages and he suggested doing charts with XP - presumably with Word 2003.

Rosanna,

Actually that's not what I've said. What I said was that TMG-7's  reports and charts cannot be created as word processor files if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows. They work fine if you are using a 32-bit version of Windows (Vista or Windows 7). This will be fixed in TMG-8.

This has nothing to do with the version of Word you are using - TMG reports work fine with Word 2007, the current version. 

(You can keep XP on your computer and run with 2010 and obviously 2007).

Again you are confusing Operating Systems and Word - XP is an operating system, and 2007 is a version of Word (and all of Office, for that matter). I understand a new version of Office including Word is in the works.

To address what I think your question is here, you can install "XP Mode" in Windows 7 (the higher-priced versions only) which effectively creates a copy of 32-bit Windows XP within Windows 7. You can then install TMG in XP Mode, which does address the problem of not being able to create reports to a word processor. But that is not related to the problem you have been reporting, in which you can create the reports, but they are then corrupted when you open them in Word. 

I've not chimed in here because I have no clue what causes that problem.

4) A new Windows operating system Microsoft 2010 is about to be released as you know as well a new Microsoft Office 2010 package is also going to be available.

There is no new operating system about to be released - Windows 7 was just released late last year. What is being prepared for release is a new version of Office, as you say.

So if I am going to buy a new computer it is not going to solve my problem as TMG is not compatible with Word 2010 (nor 2007).

TMG reports are compatible with Word 2007 - I create them regularly. I expect they will be compatible with the forthcoming release of Word as well, though I've not heard of anyone who has verified that.

Even if I upgrade I will also need Word 2003.

As I said above, you don't.

But I need to solve this problem.

I totally agree. I which I had an idea to help.