Rosanna

Broken lines descendant chart

I use Word 2002 on my Win XP SP3 desktop system. When I create a Descendant Indented Chart the lines look fine.

post-395-1276018375_thumb.png

When I use Word to save the file a dialog box opens stating that the document is a Word version 6.0 or 95 for Windows document despite the fact I've told TMG to use Word for Windows 2000 or later.

Do you want to update it to the latest word format?

To overwrite, click Yes.

To save in the current format, click No.

If I click Yes, the document is saved and the lines are fine :thumbsup2:

If I click No, another dialog box opens stating this file needs to be saved using the Word6.0/95 text converter...

The result is the Courier New font is changed. :yucky:

post-395-1276019558_thumb.png

If you are not receiving the first dialog asking you to update the file to the latest word format, you might try using Save As... instead of save, when the Save As dialog box opens, the Save as type will be set to Word 6.0/95 (*.doc), activate the drop down list, scroll up and choose Word Document (*.doc) from the top of the list.

Update: Testing on my MacBook Word:mac 2008, the report from TMG opens in compatibility mode the lines are a little jagged with the vertical lines slightly to the left of the lines with horizontal elements. Save wants to convert the file to .docx format, and two compatibility issues are flagged Word 6.0/95 format and a font substitution has occurred. Saved file as .docx, also saved in Word 97-2004 format and lines remain as shown.

post-395-1276024283_thumb.png

BTW this isn't an issue for me. :ph34r:

Edited by ggilbert1

Although I would like to know what TMG fonts are necessary to draw these lines.

The four WG fonts are:

A Line TMG (Alinetmg.ttf)

HelvSB75 (helvsb75.TTF)

HelvSS75 (Helvss75.ttf)

Wholly genes LD (Wholly.ttf)

Let me know if you are missing any and I'll send them along -

Virginia

Thank you Virginia. Cutting to the chase as usual. I checked these and they are all there. Thank you that helps with my trouble shooting.

regards

Rosanna

I use Word 2002 on my Win XP SP3 desktop system. When I create a Descendant Indented Chart the lines look fine.

post-395-1276018375_thumb.png

When I use Word to save the file a dialog box opens stating that the document is a Word version 6.0 or 95 for Windows document despite the fact I've told TMG to use Word for Windows 2000 or later.

Do you want to update it to the latest word format?

To overwrite, click Yes.

To save in the current format, click No.

If I click Yes, the document is saved and the lines are fine :thumbsup2:

If I click No, another dialog box opens stating this file needs to be saved using the Word6.0/95 text converter...

The result is the Courier New font is changed. :yucky:post-395-1276019558_thumb.png

If you are not receiving the first dialog asking you to update the file to the latest word format, you might try using Save As... instead of save, when the Save As dialog box opens, the Save as type will be set to Word 6.0/95 (*.doc), activate the drop down list, scroll up and choose Word Document (*.doc) from the top of the list.

Update: Testing on my MacBook Word:mac 2008, the report from TMG opens in compatibility mode the lines are a little jagged with the vertical lines slightly to the left of the lines with horizontal elements. Save wants to convert the file to .docx format, and two compatibility issues are flagged Word 6.0/95 format and a font substitution has occurred. Saved file as .docx, also saved in Word 97-2004 format and lines remain as shown.

post-395-1276024283_thumb.png

BTW this isn't an issue for me. :ph34r:

Hello Glenn

Thank you for taking the time to send such clear instructions and I have been experimenting again. I just need to say at this point that I found my Word 2003 keys in a file and I have the Standard edition 2003. I recall that the cover had that it was a teachers and students version. This may be making a difference but it was ok before.

I do not have the same message you receive at the beginning.” do you want to update to the latest format. I have set out my steps. But to cut to the chase I have found out that if I do not save to report_outlook and save directly to desktop or my documents I have no problems opening and attaching and it arrives ok.

My steps.

Open report descent chart indented.

“Save type” Word for windows 2000 or later

“file name” = name of the family extension to Master genealogist report_output

Then the only message I get is that the document has been successfully saved to

“report_ output “It gives the full file extension.

Message just asks if I want to “open it now.” Which I do, as I want to see it first so I say yes.

Now in this report_output file the document is correct. It has the solid line. It is a word document.

My next step is “save as”. I save to desktop, as I want to attach it. My file type is Word06/95 (*.doc ) In the drop down menu no other word files.

I save it and then I get the message that the file needs to be saved to Word06/95 text converter.

I look on desktop and it looks ok. I then attach it and I get broken lines.

Now this is the spooky part

A variation of this as discovered in my testing. ..1) I save it to desktop and look at it and it is ok. I don’t do anything. I go back and look at it for a second time and the lines have been broken.

2) Instead of saving the document to the report out_put file as save directly to desktop or my docs and I can open it as many times as I want , I can attach it to an email and it arrives intact. At no time during this process do I have to deal with the conversion message.

So I can live with this until I update and I refer to Terry’s message. Still it is a bit strange.

regards

Rosanna

2) A previous post asks about the descendant charts in Word 2007 and Terry said that no they do not work with newer operating systems and Word packages and he suggested doing charts with XP - presumably with Word 2003.

Rosanna,

Actually that's not what I've said. What I said was that TMG-7's reports and charts cannot be created as word processor files if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows. They work fine if you are using a 32-bit version of Windows (Vista or Windows 7). This will be fixed in TMG-8.

This has nothing to do with the version of Word you are using - TMG reports work fine with Word 2007, the current version.

(You can keep XP on your computer and run with 2010 and obviously 2007).

Again you are confusing Operating Systems and Word - XP is an operating system, and 2007 is a version of Word (and all of Office, for that matter). I understand a new version of Office including Word is in the works.

To address what I think your question is here, you can install "XP Mode" in Windows 7 (the higher-priced versions only) which effectively creates a copy of 32-bit Windows XP within Windows 7. You can then install TMG in XP Mode, which does address the problem of not being able to create reports to a word processor. But that is not related to the problem you have been reporting, in which you can create the reports, but they are then corrupted when you open them in Word.

I've not chimed in here because I have no clue what causes that problem.

4) A new Windows operating system Microsoft 2010 is about to be released as you know as well a new Microsoft Office 2010 package is also going to be available.

There is no new operating system about to be released - Windows 7 was just released late last year. What is being prepared for release is a new version of Office, as you say.

So if I am going to buy a new computer it is not going to solve my problem as TMG is not compatible with Word 2010 (nor 2007).

TMG reports are compatible with Word 2007 - I create them regularly. I expect they will be compatible with the forthcoming release of Word as well, though I've not heard of anyone who has verified that.

Even if I upgrade I will also need Word 2003.

As I said above, you don't.

But I need to solve this problem.

I totally agree. I which I had an idea to help.

Many thanks Terry

I bow to your knowledge. I thought there was an operating system 2010. I did think that it was too close to release of 2007 given its late release.

Now I do recall you said something about 64-bit version of Windows. <They work fine if you are using a 32-bit version of Windows (Vista or Windows 7). I just replied to Gilbert re my problem and as a result of his different I experience creating reports I discovered I can get my reports intact if I save directly to desktop or my documents. I can’t "save as" from report_output in TMG. So whatever the problem is I can bypass the reports. I can live with this.

So if I need to get Windows 7 I should get 32bit. or are there limitations with this? Also should I get professional version even if I don’t want to run XP concurrently.

Many thanks

Rosanna

I think you are missing the step where you change the file type.

At the bottom of the Save As dialog box note the Save as type is Word 6.0/95

post-395-1276054813_thumb.png

Activate the drop down list - the small down pointing arrow at the right end of the box.

post-395-1276054988_thumb.png

The list will open with Word 6.0/95 selected, scroll UP the list probably to the top.

post-395-1276055072_thumb.png

Select Word Document

post-395-1276055170_thumb.png

Then Save the file.

If that does not work then I think Robin L is on the right track, and Word is enforcing font substitution rules, and I don't have an answer on how to work around it.

Note in my last post that when I opened the report with the most current version of Word for Mac, font substitution was done.

In my reading of documentation and web sites about MS Office 2007 and the treatment of fonts within this package, it seems that there are a number of switches that can be used to access the same font and get different outcomes in the display of a font. From Rosanna's last post, it seems likely that the two saving actions use different switch settings depending on the context. Hence the broken lines in some cases and not in others. These switch settings are likely to be out of the user's control. You can also see this behaviour being explored in some web blogs when describing font management in the .NET environment - single characters from one font get "on-the-fly" substituted for "Microsoft's best match" character from another font.

I have noticed this impact before and after installing a "Unicode BMP Fallback SIL" font. This font provides a display character for every Unicode code point (in Code Page 0) in the form of a square outline and the 4 hex digits of that code point (with small digits 1,2 on the top corners and the small digits 3,4 in the bottom corners) - very distinctive.

Now when I visit some web sites which use special characters that are not in standard fonts, I find that this "Unicode BMP Fallback SIL" font is used as a substitute. Before installing this font, the system made a different substitution and therefore rendered the web page differently.

Of course this would be solved if the work processor output could store the appropriate Unicode characters for these line symbols (here's hoping in TMG v8?). You can see them in Character Map for Courier New at U+2500, U+2502, U+2514 and U+2518.

I think you are missing the step where you change the file type.

At the bottom of the Save As dialog box note the Save as type is Word 6.0/95

post-395-1276054813_thumb.png

Activate the drop down list - the small down pointing arrow at the right end of the box.

post-395-1276054988_thumb.png

The list will open with Word 6.0/95 selected, scroll UP the list probably to the top.

post-395-1276055072_thumb.png

Select Word Document

post-395-1276055170_thumb.png

Then Save the file.

If that does not work then I think Robin L is on the right track, and Word is enforcing font substitution rules, and I don't have an answer on how to work around it.

Note in my last post that when I opened the report with the most current version of Word for Mac, font substitution was done.

Boy have I got a red face. I have dropped down that menu so many times and didn't see half of these options as it always opened at the bottom of my screen and I hadn't realised I was able to scroll down further. I just saw plain text and html. I just moved my window up and I saw them.

I cant believe this. Sorry everyone and thanks for your time. I am sorry I wasted it .I know how precious it is. I will now go and crawl in my little hole for the duration.

regards

Rosanna

Rosanna

In your steps above you state that you have a perfectly good word document saved in the "report_output" folder.

I suggest when TMG asks if "you want to open it now" you do so, confirm that it is what you want and then close it.

From your email program when you want to attach your file simply look in the "report_output" folder. If you don't want to do that then copy it to the desktop using Windows explorer.

Failing that, I think Gilbert (above) has spotted that you may be selecting the wrong file type when you choose "save as"

Many thanks Terry

You're welcome, Rosanna.

So if I need to get Windows 7 I should get 32bit. or are there limitations with this? Also should I get professional version even if I don't want to run XP concurrently.

It would appear that 64-bit is the future, so it would seem logical to move there now. But, virtually no applications you are likely to use are actually available in 64-bit, so you can't for the foreseeable future take full advantage of the capability. Many older programs, or parts of them (like TMG's report-to-word-processor feature) will not work on a 64-bit system. Further 64-bit drivers may not be available for your existing peripherals or may be available only in generic versions that don't support all the functions. The single reason to get a 64-bit system now, in my view, is the ability to utilize more than 4GB of RAM. For those who keep lots of programs open all the time, or who use lots of large files (like hi-res photos) this may make the trouble worthwhile. If you don't have that need, I see no reason not to stay with a 32-bit system for now and save yourself a lot of trouble on various fronts, not just TMG reports.

I don't see the need to get the professional version just for the ability to run XP Mode unless you have a real need for that capability. There are lots of issues with XP Mode that make it troublesome to use - don't plan on it unless you have a real need. And if you don't plan on using it in the future if you don't need it now. If you don't need XP Mode, only pay for Professional if some other feature makes it worthwhile to you (I don't know what that might be).

Boy have I got a red face. I have dropped down that menu so many times and didn't see half of these options as it always opened at the bottom of my screen and I hadn't realised I was able to scroll down further. I just saw plain text and html. I just moved my window up and I saw them.

I cant believe this. Sorry everyone and thanks for your time. I am sorry I wasted it .I know how precious it is. I will now go and crawl in my little hole for the duration.

regards

Rosanna

No need for apologies - hopefully the problem is solved. :cheers:

Rosanna

In your steps above you state that you have a perfectly good word document saved in the "report_output" folder.

I suggest when TMG asks if "you want to open it now" you do so, confirm that it is what you want and then close it.

From your email program when you want to attach your file simply look in the "report_output" folder. If you don't want to do that then copy it to the desktop using Windows explorer.

Failing that, I think Gilbert (above) has spotted that you may be selecting the wrong file type when you choose "save as"

Thank you Neil. I have actually solved the problem. I wasn't scolling up far enough to see the option I needed.

Many thanks Terry

You're welcome, Rosanna.

So if I need to get Windows 7 I should get 32bit. or are there limitations with this? Also should I get professional version even if I don't want to run XP concurrently.

It would appear that 64-bit is the future, so it would seem logical to move there now. But, virtually no applications you are likely to use are actually available in 64-bit, so you can't for the foreseeable future take full advantage of the capability. Many older programs, or parts of them (like TMG's report-to-word-processor feature) will not work on a 64-bit system. Further 64-bit drivers may not be available for your existing peripherals or may be available only in generic versions that don't support all the functions. The single reason to get a 64-bit system now, in my view, is the ability to utilize more than 4GB of RAM. For those who keep lots of programs open all the time, or who use lots of large files (like hi-res photos) this may make the trouble worthwhile. If you don't have that need, I see no reason not to stay with a 32-bit system for now and save yourself a lot of trouble on various fronts, not just TMG reports.

I don't see the need to get the professional version just for the ability to run XP Mode unless you have a real need for that capability. There are lots of issues with XP Mode that make it troublesome to use - don't plan on it unless you have a real need. And if you don't plan on using it in the future if you don't need it now. If you don't need XP Mode, only pay for Professional if some other feature makes it worthwhile to you (I don't know what that might be).

Hello Terry

That is very helpful thank you. No I only need a 32bit. I hope I wont need to upgrade until I complete my project. My concern was that I lost my Word 2003 disk and didn't have the keys. However I found the keys in my computer by accident, so I can get hold of my particular version that came with the computer - the limited version. However I will save this information just in case.

Once again thank you.