Sign in to follow this  
Mike Talbot

Very large VCF charts

Chart measurements, 8.5 x 130 inches.

selected paper size, 36 x 108 inches, roll

XP home, 2 gigs RAM, latest versions of VCF and Cute PDF

Problems:

The chart was trimed to components at a width of 8.2 inches, the PDF output file has blank "paper" out to the full 36 inches

A height cut mark prints to PDF at 108 inches, despite whether print cut marks is unchecked or not. The cut mark destroys a line of the chart.

Is it my error or a limitation of CutePDF or VCF? While seemingly minor, these errors mess up the idosycrasies of usage on website, seriously. I can sort of work around the cut mark problem with a little extra trouble, but the width, Help!

Thanks,

Mike,

I'd expect the PDF output to be the full width of the paper you specify - that is the size the PDF is assumed to be printed on. If you want less you need to specify a custom paper size that fits the chart.

I don't understand the cut line issue. You get them in the PDF even if you have them turned off? I've never seen that.

Mike,

I'd expect the PDF output to be the full width of the paper you specify - that is the size the PDF is assumed to be printed on. If you want less you need to specify a custom paper size that fits the chart.

I don't understand the cut line issue. You get them in the PDF even if you have them turned off? I've never seen that.

Thanks, Terry.

There is no custom paper size (user defined) option on my system. The 36 x 108 is the longest and closest to what I need of the dozens of predefined paper size options. Did I miss a code word or something?

Yes. The cut mark surprised me too. But, I can insert a line at that position with VCF containing no data, for CutePDF to destroy as a work around. Ugly, but good enough. If I specify legal size paper, a cut mark appears ever 14 inches of the PDF. Similar for other paper size selections. Ugh.

Best wishes,

Mike,

Here is the set of forms that I get when using DeskPDF (a paid-for PDF Writer)

It allows me to set any size up to 650 * 650 in. I regularly send proof copy PDFs of charts that are 12-30ft by 2ft - 3ft to my clients for checking. Some PDF writers get confused about page orientation in the custom page size mode. I have never seen cut marks on my PDFs.

Clearly this is limitation of Cute PDF. BTW: 108 in is a boundary in some early version of PDF implementations.

post-44-1276409328_thumb.png

Robin

Mike,

Here is the set of forms that I get when using DeskPDF (a paid-for PDF Writer)

It allows me to set any size up to 650 * 650 in. I regularly send proof copy PDFs of charts that are 12-30ft by 2ft - 3ft to my clients for checking. Some PDF writers get confused about page orientation in the custom page size mode. I have never seen cut marks on my PDFs.

Clearly this is limitation of Cute PDF. BTW: 108 in is a boundary in some early version of PDF implementations.

post-44-1276409328_thumb.png

Robin

Thanks, Robin. I missed the keyword "Postscript custom." Paper now defined to 8.5 x 130 inches. I now get a big blank area (22 inches long) in the chart starting at 108 inches. Those 22 inches are printed on a new page beginning with a cut mark.

As you said, It must be a failing of my version of CutePDF and the old 108 in. max. image length.

Back to the drawing board, thanks again to all,

Mike,

Print Cut Marks is an option on the File menu, separate from the View > Page Bounds command. Is it possible that you've checked the option on the File menu?

In the Thread Large Chart print to PDF the last post mentions the Bullzip PDF Printer as having solved the user's problem. I have not used it. It's free so it might be worth trying. :ph34r:

Good idea. However, Bullzip has a max. page length of 78 inches. Even farther from the goal. I'll play with Cute PDF (I also redownloaded and installed it with identical results) some more. Maybe there is an acceptable compromize between its 2 problems with my needs, somewhere, somehow.

To Terry: Yes, I had unchecked print page cut marks in print. Hadn't tried view. I just unchecked it in view which did not effect print, but only the display on the screen.

Thanks, you all and best wishes,

My confusion solved. What I reported as a cut mark at 108 inches, is something worse. It is a second PDF page divider for a one page chart. This is due to the demonstrated CutePDF max.page length of 108 inches. This new page destroys a line of the chart at 108 in. just like a cut mark would, so will have to work around that. I best get working-around using a postscript custom page size of 10.5 x 108 inches. Ugly, but should function acceptably.

I should have thought more about the ancient 108 in.page limit that you all told me about.

Thanks, all. Sorry to lead you in chasing after the wrong wild goose,

Glad you found the issue, Mike. PDF995 allows setting up to 200 inches in either direction in it's PostScript Custom Page size. I've not tested a chart that large, but I'd expect it to work. There are both free and paid versions, differing only in the freedom from ads in the paid version.

Glad you found the issue, Mike. PDF995 allows setting up to 200 inches in either direction in it's PostScript Custom Page size. I've not tested a chart that large, but I'd expect it to work. There are both free and paid versions, differing only in the freedom from ads in the paid version.

Thanks so much, Terry.

PDF995 is magnificent and cured my problem. I now have a one page chart of one page, 8.5 x 130 inches. No pseudo-cut marks no extensive blank "paper" on the right. No work-arounds needed. No new learning-curve. Perfect. Must remember to not get greedy and want a chart of over 200 inches (like maybe a 5 gen. descendant chart). I'll try to attach it - have never tried to attach a PDF file on this forum, before.

To those who want to try PDF995, remember, you must make it the Windows default printer for VCF PDF output to work properly.

It appears that PDF995 has some PDF editing capabilities. Off I go to try them. Play time!

Thanks, again and best wishes to all,

0Descendants_of_Louis_Andre_Talbot.pdf

Edited by Mike Talbot

Thanks so much, Terry.

You're welcome, Mike.

PDF995 is magnificent and cured my problem.

Great. I've used it for a number of years and it's worked fine. In fact, I used it to prepare my book for the printer.

To those who want to try PDF995, remember, you must make it the Windows default printer for VCF PDF output to work properly.

I've never done that, and it's worked fine for the few times I've tried it with VCF. I do know that the page boundary lines in VCF won't be right if your are using non-standard page sizes. Have you found other issues too?

I've never done that, and it's worked fine for the few times I've tried it with VCF. I do know that the page boundary lines in VCF won't be right if your are using non-standard page sizes. Have you found other issues too?

My reply got lost, try, try again.

Both CutePDF and PDF995 worked fine on letter and legal size charts without the default printer trick.

Other than the CutePDF and PDF995 work the same except for the Cute PDF limit of 108 inches and the PDF995 annoying advertizements.

Using Postscript custom sizes are the only times that I've had problems with unexpected new pages.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Good idea. However, Bullzip has a max. page length of 78 inches. Even farther from the goal.
Ouch :puke: Sorry

PDF995 is magnificent and cured my problem. I now have a one page chart of one page, 8.5 x 130 inches. No pseudo-cut marks no extensive blank "paper" on the right. No work-arounds needed. No new learning-curve.
Glad to hear you've got it solved :beer:

Good idea. However, Bullzip has a max. page length of 78 inches. Even farther from the goal.
Ouch :puke: Sorry

PDF995 is magnificent and cured my problem. I now have a one page chart of one page, 8.5 x 130 inches. No pseudo-cut marks no extensive blank "paper" on the right. No work-arounds needed. No new learning-curve.
Glad to hear you've got it solved :beer:

Using Bullzip was instrumental in showing me that I had a max.page size problem and not a cut mark problem. It was one key to the final solution.

Thanks again for your help,

From one of the technically challenged --

How do you know if you have a postscript printer (mine is an HP Deskjet 841C)?

Do you need a postscript printer, in addition to one of the PDF programs, to create PDF files?

Thank you.

Linda

From one of the technically challenged --

How do you know if you have a postscript printer (mine is an HP Deskjet 841C)?

Do you need a postscript printer, in addition to one of the PDF programs, to create PDF files?

Thank you.

Linda

Good news. I don't have a postcript pinter nor do you need one to create PDF files using postscript options. I seldom print genealogy data to hardcopy. When I do want hardcopy, it's from VCF, JPG or MSWord to an Epson 870. I never print a PDF file nor the big JPG files. If I wanted a big chart printed, I would use the WG service, here, or maybe Kinko's for charts that would fit into the JPG format.

I need PDF files for my internet site so that the various internet search engines can find individual names, which they can't do with VCF-JPG chart files. PDF is also useful to send files, of any size, to relatives. Everybody has or can get a free Acrobat Reader.

Best wishes,

Linda,

No, you don't need any special printer to create PDF files. The tools we are discussing above - PDF995, CutePDF, and the others - are "fake" printers. They are small programs that act like printers, in that when you install them, they appear in your list of printers on your computer. To use them, in any program that can print documents you proceed like you are going to print the document. But you choose the fake printer instead of a real printer that is installed on your computer. Then, instead of actually printing your document the fake printer creates a PDF file of it.

The beauty of this fake printer approach is it works with virtually any program that has the capability to print. The program doesn't have to know anything about PDF files - the fake printer takes care of that. That's why it works with Visual ChartForm, as well as most any other program that creates documents that can be printed.