waldonj

Changing Tag Type

Is there an easy way to change the Tag Type without deleting and re-entering the entire record with the correct tag type? I have, for example, Birth events that somehow got Event-Misc tags (probably due to GEDCOM imports). When I edit the event in the Details view for the person, the tag filter is greyed out, so I cannot change the Filter to modify it to the Birth group.

Within TMG you can change a tag type to another type within the same group, but not to another group. However, I believe that some external utilities might be able to do this. I will leave it to other users to comment on the capabilities of the TMG Utility or the BeeSoft tag utility. I have not used either to do this, but believe they can.

As Michael explained, you can change a single tag type to another tag type within the same group via the edit window. TMG Utility will change multiple tags from one type to another. It's typically used to change all "X" tags to "Y" tags. The tag types can be in different groups. You can assign a filter so that only tags from certain people are changed. See the help page for Change Event Type.