Sign in to follow this  
bil

New Computer

Hello,

I have a new computer (windows 7) and am not sure how to transfer TMG over from my old one. I have backed up my data.....BUT how do I go about opening up TMG on the new one? I am using TMG v 7.4...and have the serial number etc.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions

Thanks

Bil

1. Install the program. Even if you have a CD, if possible download the "30-day free trial" from the WG website to insure you have the latest version. The unlock it with the TMG7 serial number you received when you bought the program. Be sure to enter the email address you used at that time, even if it has since changed, as the serial number is keyed to that address.

2. Copy your backup to the new machine, by use of a CD, thumb drive, or over your local network.

3. Open TMG and Restore your backup - this will place your data in the appropriate locations on the new machine.

Some finer points:

- If your new computer uses a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to create reports to a word processor file. There are a couple of solutions, the easiest of which is to retain a copy of TMG on a 32-bit system and make reports from that. If this issue applies to you, you can search the forum or ask for more details. This will be fixed in TMG-8.

- If you have external exhibits they may not recognized on your new machine because the path to them may be different. Read the "Missing Exhibits" article in Help for solutions, and ask questions here if you need more help.

- If you want to store your data in locations other than the default locations, read the "Data File Storage" topic in Help, and those articles linked to it. Ask if you need more help.