Rosanna

Never married and no children tags

I find it better to google past questions as search on this site doesnt filter.

I came up with a post that answered my question (and I use it for same purpose) but I cant make it work for me. I want to be able to use it for descendants indented chart and journal. I must be doing something wrong. I get nothing in descendants indented chart. I only changed the sentence structure in the tag I created for never married (within marriage group). I would prefer not to use memo tag either. It is ok for journal but not for descendants indented chart. However I havent set " accent" as I dont know how to do this. I wonder if it makes any difference. This is what I get in narrative.

1. Julie1 Knight (5042); never married was born on 18 Nov 1947 at Sydney, NSW.. She never married.

There were no children of Juliie ' Knight (5042) and the unknown spouse mentioned above.

Here is the post I followed..

<"I use a "never married" tag. The sentence merely reads [P] never married. I put a sort date after their death date, so it reads at the end of their bio. Similarly, I have one for people I know had no children.

Making a separate tag makes it easy to isolate those people (I have an accent set on them) to easily know I shouldn't be wondering why I had no info on their children or spouse.

A flag would work for the same purpose, but would not appear in the narrative.

I like to try and use the memo field for information only about the event the tag is for. I only use the death memo field for information about the death.

But as with everyting in TMG, it all boils down to a personal choice. One way is not more right than another. Do it whatever seems to suit you">

I hope someone can help please and it is something simple I am not doing.

many thanks

I came up with a post that answered my question (and I use it for same purpose) but I cant make it work for me. I want to be able to use it for descendants indented chart and journal. I must be doing something wrong. I get nothing in descendants indented chart. I only changed the sentence structure in the tag I created for never married (within marriage group). I would prefer not to use memo tag either. It is ok for journal but not for descendants indented chart. However I havent set " accent" as I dont know how to do this. I wonder if it makes any difference. This is what I get in narrative.

1. Julie1 Knight (5042); never married was born on 18 Nov 1947 at Sydney, NSW.. She never married.

There were no children of Juliie ' Knight (5042) and the unknown spouse mentioned above.

<"I use a "never married" tag. The sentence merely reads [P] never married. I put a sort date after their death date, so it reads at the end of their bio. Similarly, I have one for people I know had no children.

Making a separate tag makes it easy to isolate those people (I have an accent set on them) to easily know I shouldn't be wondering why I had no info on their children or spouse.

I like to try and use the memo field for information only about the event the tag is for. I only use the death memo field for information about the death.

But as with everyting in TMG, it all boils down to a personal choice. One way is not more right than another. Do it whatever seems to suit you">

Create the "Never Married" tag in the Other Group, not in the marriage group.

Creating it in the Marriage Groupwill automatically create an unknown spouse.

many thanks

Create the "Never Married" tag in the Other Group, not in the marriage group.

Creating it in the Marriage Groupwill automatically create an unknown spouse.

many thanks

This relates to answer before the end of my post

quote <Create the "Never Married" tag in the Other Group, not in the marriage group.

Creating it in the Marriage Groupwill automatically create an unknown spouse> quote.

Ok thanks. That works for Journal report but no for descendants indented chart. The fields are birth death marriage and burial. That is why I thought it had to go into marriage group. It is the descendants chart that I need it mainly as I can always add it to memo field if I only wanted it in journal. I need it for the same reasons as the person who answered the question previously on the forum.(above) Is it the " accent" I am missing? I have never used this before.

Thank you

Edited by Rosanna

Rosanna,

You want to add the notation "never married" to both the Journal and do the Descendant Indented Chart? Is that right?

The two types of reports are very different, as you know. The Journal is narrative style report, and creates complete sentences, using the data you enter in the Date, Place, and Memo fields according to the "rules" specified in the Sentence, using as many of the tag types as you specify.

The Descendant Chart, on the other hand, is designed to be a very dense format that report that reports only birth, marriage, death and burial information, using only the raw data in the Date, Place, and Memo fields, without benefit of the Sentence.

There are limited ways to get the phrase you want to print in both these types of reports. While you can use a Tag in the Other Events group in the Journal, which will allow you a lot of flexibility in the output you can create, that will not work in the Chart because it will not use that Tag Type. The only way to get that output in the Chart is to add it to the Memo of the primary Birth, Marriage, or Death tag, and set Memos to be embedded. But if you do that using a Marriage tag, the Journal will report a marriage "with an unknown spouse." You might be able to add that phrase to the memo of the Birth tag and get satisfactory results in both reports, especially if you crafted the Sentence properly.

Accents have nothing to do with this issue. Accents simple provide color coding on your TMG screens.

Rosanna,

You want to add the notation "never married" to both the Journal and do the Descendant Indented Chart? Is that right?

The two types of reports are very different, as you know. The Journal is narrative style report, and creates complete sentences, using the data you enter in the Date, Place, and Memo fields according to the "rules" specified in the Sentence, using as many of the tag types as you specify.

The Descendant Chart, on the other hand, is designed to be a very dense format that report that reports only birth, marriage, death and burial information, using only the raw data in the Date, Place, and Memo fields, without benefit of the Sentence.

There are limited ways to get the phrase you want to print in both these types of reports. While you can use a Tag in the Other Events group in the Journal, which will allow you a lot of flexibility in the output you can create, that will not work in the Chart because it will not use that Tag Type. The only way to get that output in the Chart is to add it to the Memo of the primary Birth, Marriage, or Death tag, and set Memos to be embedded. But if you do that using a Marriage tag, the Journal will report a marriage "with an unknown spouse." You might be able to add that phrase to the memo of the Birth tag and get satisfactory results in both reports, especially if you crafted the Sentence properly.

Accents have nothing to do with this issue. Accents simple provide color coding on your TMG screens.

Hello Terry

Thanks you for your time. Yes you are right, this is what i want to do. The problem with this solution is that it will show up memos for other people and I dont want to worry about filters etc.

I did manage to do it many times by using the marriage tag and writing in the date field I think "never married". This if course provides a new "principal" and assigns an id. This works visually when I print without the ID. (Hmmm) I will have to go back and see how I did this and continue to do it. I too keep going back to these people who I dont have any marriage/children.

The accent (now of course I remember what it is) is a good idea, but doesn't show up when working from hard cover with b & w printer. I think a "not married" and "no issue" shows the reader that your research has been completed and nothing missing, and saves future researchers a wild goose chase and showing just how clever we are to complete the lines!! A pity that fields for these tags doesn't exist in desc charts. They wouln't be used that often.

Many thanks

Thanks you for your time. Yes you are right, this is what i want to do. The problem with this solution is that it will show up memos for other people and I dont want to worry about filters etc.

Yes, that is a problem with using Memos in this way.

I did manage to do it many times by using the marriage tag and writing in the date field I think "never married". This if course provides a new "principal" and assigns an id.

That's because you are not just adding a Marriage Tag, but are actually adding a spouse - adding a new person. Instead of adding a person, just add a Marriage Tag. Use Ctrl M to open a Marriage Tag, or Add > Marriage from the menu. Don't enter a second principal. It's not needed. But, this will still give you and "unknown Spouse" in the Journal.

I think you might get better results (that is, avoid the undesired "unknown spouse" in other types of reports) by adding the note to an unused place field in the Birth Tag. 

The accent (now of course I remember what it is) is a good idea, but doesn't show up when working from hard cover with b & w printer.

Accents only appear on screen - not in reports, so they are no help for your issue.

Many thanks

You're welcome. :)

Rosanna,

I have not tried it, since I don't use the Journal report very much, but you might look at the Journal Report Option on the Miscellaneous tab of "Include missing spouse". If you only add a Marriage tag but do not link to some other person as Terry suggests, unchecking that option may make the Journal report look more like you desire while still letting the Descendant Chart also look more like what you want. Worth a test.

I am not sure if this will help or hurt you, but I have two PSEUDO people called *** UNMARRIED ***. First name is *** UNMARRIED Surname is ***. One is male, the other female. I use a custom never married role in my marriage tag and "marry" my unmarrieds to them.

So on the SIBLING and CHILDREN windows I get post-101-1278541870_thumb.jpg

Then in reports I can set the sentences to read however I want. For my PERSON role: [:CR:][:TAB:][R:Person] was never married. [bOLD:]This line does not continue.[:BOLD] For my BLANK ROLE role: --

So if you are reading a report you get Sally Boyce was never married. This line does not continue. NOTE: I only use this role for children who died too young to marry and have issue. If Sally had children, but just never married, I would not use this specific role.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it works for me. I can accent on people with this ROLE since it is easy to search for anyone with a NEVER MARRIED tag with the role of PERSON and I can see in the CHILDREN and SIBLING views that this person died young and never married because their "spouse" is *** UNMARRIED ***.

Just another way you can make TMG work for you. :)

I am not sure if this will help or hurt you, but I have two PSEUDO people called *** UNMARRIED ***. First name is *** UNMARRIED Surname is ***. One is male, the other female. I use a custom never married role in my marriage tag and "marry" my unmarrieds to them.

Then in reports I can set the sentences to read however I want. For my PERSON role: [:CR:][:TAB:][R:Person] was never married. [bOLD:]This line does not continue.[:BOLD] For my BLANK ROLE role: --

So if you are reading a report you get Sally Boyce was never married. This line does not continue. NOTE: I only use this role for children who died too young to marry and have issue. If Sally had children, but just never married, I would not use this specific role.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it works for me. I can accent on people with this ROLE since it is easy to search for anyone with a NEVER MARRIED tag with the role of PERSON and I can see in the CHILDREN and SIBLING views that this person died young and never married because their "spouse" is *** UNMARRIED ***.

Thanks Teresa

This sounds good. I will try it. So instead of creating a pile of new people which inflates the numbers in the data base, you use only one. I can do the same for No isssue. I am not worried about the Journal as I use the memo field.

Thank you

Rosanna,

I have not tried it, since I don't use the Journal report very much, but you might look at the Journal Report Option on the Miscellaneous tab of "Include missing spouse". If you only add a Marriage tag but do not link to some other person as Terry suggests, unchecking that option may make the Journal report look more like you desire while still letting the Descendant Chart also look more like what you want. Worth a test.

Thanks Michael

I will do some experimenting.

many thanks

Rosanna, I hope you get one of these variations to work for you, but if you don't, and fall back on using a memo, may I suggest that you put it in the Death tag memo rather than the Birth tag?

It is standard in Burke's Peerage and similar works to use abbreviations like "d.s.p." and "d.s.p.m.s." and "d.s.p.leg." followed by the date of death. These are abbreviations for Latin phrases meaning, respectively, "died without issue," "died without male issue," and "died without legitimate issue." (Sex and legitimacy are important when primogeniture is the primary method of property inheritance.)

Personally, I use "s.p." in the memo of a death tag where appropriate.

Rosanna, I hope you get one of these variations to work for you, but if you don't, and fall back on using a memo, may I suggest that you put it in the Death tag memo rather than the Birth tag?

It is standard in Burke's Peerage and similar works to use abbreviations like "d.s.p." and "d.s.p.m.s." and "d.s.p.leg." followed by the date of death. These are abbreviations for Latin phrases meaning, respectively, "died without issue," "died without male issue," and "died without legitimate issue." (Sex and legitimacy are important when primogeniture is the primary method of property inheritance.)

Personally, I use "s.p." in the memo of a death tag where appropriate.

Thanks Laura

I will keep it in mind. i havent had a chance to look at it yet.

regards

Thanks Teresa

This sounds good. I will try it. So instead of creating a pile of new people which inflates the numbers in the data base, you use only one. I can do the same for No isssue. I am not worried about the Journal as I use the memo field.

Thank you

Yes, I actually have two people, one male one female that I use. That way I can "marry" each person to the spouse named *** UNMARRIED *** in the PERSON role. You can put whatever you want into the sentence role. I just chose This line does not continue.