beetle3247

Getting Divorced Tag in Descendant Chart

I have read Terry Reigel's comment yesterday concerning another topic in which he stated that only the birth, death, marriage and burial tags are included in the Indented Descendant chart. My question is why wouldn't the Divorced tag be included in that report? It does go hand-in-hand with marriage, just as death goes with birth. If you have an individual who has married more than once, but you don't have a death/burial tag for the previous spouse, then the report implies nothing about how the previous marriage ended: did that spouse die or were they divorced? How much time after divorce/death did the other partner remarry? Or if they didn't remarry, how long was that partner single? I believe the Divorce tag should go along with any report that automatically reports a marriage tag. What do you think?

Well, what I think... :)

is that if one wants that much information, he or she should choose another type of report that has room for it. I find that there is often not enough space on a single line for BMD info, let alone more.

Others, of course, may differ.

I, too, would like to see "divorce" on all reports that show the marriage tag. I agree that that would clarify marriage issues. I have sent people a Descendant Indented Chart report, and they have questioned marital information because there was no divorce shown.

And, Terry, with options for what we want to include, those for whom space is an issue could "uncheck" the divorce tag.

Since Divorce is a separate tag group with a separate Primary tag per couple, it would seem to be an appropriate and implementable wish to include in charts. I would find an option to include this tag group in charts a useful feature and share your wish.

Since Divorce is a separate tag group with a separate Primary tag per couple, it would seem to be an appropriate and implementable wish to include in charts. I would find an option to include this tag group in charts a useful feature and share your wish.

I concur. In fact, I would go further. The indented chart is the quickest chart to generate and I use it more than any other for producing 'working charts' for people to review and correct. It's also often the best for presentation in written reports because it automatically fits to A4 sized pages. I have some macros programmed in Word to quickly make cosmetic changes to the chart (for example, I replace the '+' with "=" for the marriage relationship, and others for inserting gender symbols before the person's name).

Because these charts are so easy to generate, it would be very useful to be able to show other types of tags - not because you would necessarily want to show them all at once, but it may be useful to be able to quickly produce a chart that highlights some particular type of event.

One drawback with these charts is that it is easy to loose track of generational levels and marriage connections when then chart goes across multiple pages, particularly where an individual has several marriages, each with children, grandchildren and so on. The chart would be a bit more readable if the name of the descendant spouse were repeated for each of his/her marriages, so it is always immediately apparent without having to back-track through the pages.

pktropics.