Sign in to follow this  
mmeadows30

Editing Tag Fields

When generating a journal report I noticed that my census events are all run together into a single paragraph. I want to automatically start a new paragraph for each census tag. I went to tag field editing, selected, "census 1850 - free". I clicked on edit, selected roles and sentences but can't edit "male sentence structure" where I'd like to insert a CR at the start of the thing. Perhaps this isn't the correct way to do this? I'm a former UFT user and new to TMG. I checked the FAQs and didn't see this topic covered there. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

As you found, by default, in a Journal report all tags after the initial BMDB paragraph output as a single paragraph. Placing a [:CR:] code (followed by a [:TAB:] code if you want to maintain the indent) in the front of a tag Sentence is the way to break up the text into paragraphs.

I think the reason you can't edit the Sentence is that you are in the default "Beginner" mode. To fix this, use the File > Preferences command to open Preferences, and on the Program Options > Data Entry screen change to Advanced mode.

Thank you Terry. In advanced mode I can edit the field.

When I used the following, however, it didn't seem to add the CR and TAB in the report :

[:CR:][:TAB:][P] was census 1850 - free <[D]> <[L]>

Did I get the CR and TAB entered correctly?

Yes, that part looks fine. But the sentence itself makes no sense - is the output really supposed to be something like "John Jones was census 1850 - free 3 Mar 1850 in Some City"? Is that what you see in the report?

I suspect the problem is that you are not using the same Language in the report that you are using in the Sentence.

[:CR:][:TAB:][P] was census 1850 - free <[D]> <[L]>

is the default sentence in the tag type list for census 1850 - free

the only thing different is the CR & TAB which I inserted at the start of the line.

I assumed that this would cause the automatically generated text for the 1850 census data to appear on a newline. It does not. Perhaps the CR and TAB are special characters? I just typed them in as they are seen above.

Terry: I got this working. I was editing the principal role for that tag instead of the head of household role. When I added the CR & TAB into the head of household role it worked fine. Thanks very much for your help. I checked out your TMG tips, too. They're excellent. Thaks again! :)