John K

Journal Report - Marriage References - Extra Spaces

I have a minor formatting problem for which I have not been able to find a solution. I am creating a Journal Report, and wish to show the reference field when someone is named. However, the output I am getting includes an extra space after names of spousal parents to whom I have not assigned a reference number. An example appears below:

"He married Sarah Houghton , daughter of Elijah L. Houghton and Sarah Jackson (176d), on 1 December 1808 ..."

[As can be clearly seen, there is a space after the name Sarah Houghton, and before the comma. Although it is not as easy to see, there is also an extra space (i.e., 2 total spaces) after the name Elijah L. Houghton.]

Is there a way to get rid of these superfluous spaces (without giving up the ability to display the reference field)?

In case it is relevant, this is the sentence structure I am using. (I thought the problem might be resulting from an unneeded space in the formula, but there are no spaces (other than before and after the word "married").)

[P] married [PO]<[PARO]><[D]><[L]><[M]>

This is a sentence issue that has to do with all narrative reports, not a Journal report issue. Please title the topic appropriately.

I think what Jim is trying to say is that these extra spaces from a non-existent reference number will appear in all narrative reports that output reference numbers. I know of no way to get rid of them other than to post process the report in a Word Processor, and search for all double spaces to be replaced with a single space. Some software will ignore the double spaces and collapse them when it formats for printing so you don't have to "fix" it, but that is software specific. For most of us it requires that extra post-processing step. If you use Second Site for your output, most Web browsers automatically collapse multiple spaces. So even though they are there, you will not see them on Web page output.