How can I keep the memo field from any report and Second Site, I just want it to be a note of information for me only?

I have it in a "Note Tag"

Thanks

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I can immediately think of two ways.

First, see the TMG Help topic titled "Exclude Information". You can modify the sentence of that Note tag to begin with one or two exclusion markers (one or two dashes '-'). Use one if you "sometimes" want it to print and two if never. Just to be paranoid you could also begin the Memo with those two characters.

As a second alternative, I prefer to create a custom tag type, possibly named "NeverPrint" or something similar. In all the reports I use I select which tag types will print as part of that report. I generally do a "Select All" for the Tags in the Report Options, and then "unselect" the few tags that I do not want part of that report. Of course you can also use the exclusion markers in this tag as well just to be doubly sure it won't print.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Depending on a number of setting you may be making, there are a several ways to suppress the memo. But the most effective way, in my opinion, is to create a custom Tag Type specifically for this type of notes. Then, in the Tags tab of report Options for TMG reports, or Data> Database screen of Second Site, specify that on "Selected" Tag Types are to be included, and then unselect your custom Tag Type, except in the rare cases where you may actually want to include it.

Depending on a number of setting you may be making, there are a several ways to suppress the memo. But the most effective way, in my opinion, is to create a custom Tag Type specifically for this type of notes. Then, in the Tags tab of report Options for TMG reports, or Data> Database screen of Second Site, specify that on "Selected" Tag Types are to be included, and then unselect your custom Tag Type, except in the rare cases where you may actually want to include it.

Thanks Micheal and Terry

Simple but effective

Good job

Kenny

As a second alternative, I prefer to create a custom tag type, possibly named "NeverPrint" or something similar. In all the reports I use I select which tag types will print as part of that report. I generally do a "Select All" for the Tags in the Report Options, and then "unselect" the few tags that I do not want part of that report. Of course you can also use the exclusion markers in this tag as well just to be doubly sure it won't print.

I name the tags I don't want to print by prefixing them with _NP that way they sort to the top of the tag list and are easy to identify and unselect for example my non-printing note tag is named _NP-Note :evo:

Users need to be careful about names that begin with special characters, such as your '_' underscore character. Some characters have special meaning and will not be treated as part of the name (e.g. '\' backslash), and many will sort in a different order depending upon the Collate sequence that the user sets for that project in Preferences // Current Project Options // Other. For example, the default GENERAL collate sequence will sort all special characters before the alphabet. But the MACHINE collate sequence (and SecondSite) will sort several special characters after the alphabet: '^' (caret), '_' (underscore), '`' (back quote), '|' (vertical bar), '~' (tilde). I have not tested the non-English collate sequences, but suspect special characters may sort differently in them as well. If you want to have some special names sort both before and after the alphabet, I recommend using the MACHINE collate sequence, which matches most computer sort orders. However, the default GENERAL collate sequence matches the sort order found in indexes of most hard-copy publications.

Users need to be careful about names that begin with special characters, such as your '_' underscore character. Some characters have special meaning and will not be treated as part of the name (e.g. '\' backslash), and many will sort in a different order depending upon the Collate sequence that the user sets for that project in Preferences // Current Project Options // Other. For example, the default GENERAL collate sequence will sort all special characters before the alphabet. But the MACHINE collate sequence (and SecondSite) will sort several special characters after the alphabet: '^' (caret), '_' (underscore), '`' (back quote), '|' (vertical bar), '~' (tilde). I have not tested the non-English collate sequences, but suspect special characters may sort differently in them as well. If you want to have some special names sort both before and after the alphabet, I recommend using the MACHINE collate sequence, which matches most computer sort orders. However, the default GENERAL collate sequence matches the sort order found in indexes of most hard-copy publications.

Michael thanks for the caution, I hadn't thought about the collate sequence effecting this, and I see that my _underscore tags sort to the bottom of the list in both TMG and SS when the MACHINE sequence is selected. I tried the other collate sequences and the underscore tags sorted to the top of the list for all of them, I didn't change languages, but after each change TMG did run a reindex. In any case my 'special' tags were grouped together which was my intent in using the underscore as the first character.

I believe underscore will always sort to the bottom in SS (or at least is default). But then I am not expert in SS, so there may be a way to set the collate sequence in SS like there is in TMG. I just don't know how.

I believe underscore will always sort to the bottom in SS (or at least is default). But then I am not expert in SS, so there may be a way to set the collate sequence in SS like there is in TMG. I just don't know how.

Second Site displays the tags in the same order as TMG depending on the collate sequence. If collate sequence in TMG is General the tags starting with underscore sort to the top of the list in Second Site, if the collate sequence in TMG is Machine, tags starting with underscore sort to the bottom of the list in SS.

The Sort Sequence in Second Site is in the Language Section, the available choices are: ASCII, ASCII - Anglicized, ASCII - Extended, French, German, Norwegian, and Swedish.

I have no idea how the collate sequence in TMG effects the sort sequence in Second Site.