TMGnewbie

Changing image in box

I am a registered user of Supertools version 2, but because I have not used it in a while I am a little rusty on how to use it.

I have a highly customized box chart I created a year ago on which I need to just change the image of the person in one of the boxes. The box detail properties/components of the box I need to change are listed as:

The person's name

Metafile (Frame)

Rectangle (MainBox)

Text [1]

Text [2]

Text [3]

Image [image]

It is the last component "Image [image]" I need to change to a different image.

Is there a way to do this without having to recreate the chart and redo all the customizations I already did?

Thank you.

Jeff

More info:

The chart report was created on a different PC running XP that I no longer use and have replaced with a new laptop using W7. SuperTools V2 is now installed on this new Windows 7 PC and therefore does not have the settings I used to create the chart. (I had to search for the chart to even open it).

Fortunately I did not junk the old PC and I do have access to the old PC. So, if necessary I can use it if that would permit the editing or update I need to do.

Jeff,

You cannot select or replace an image within a person box. BUT you can paste a new image exactly over the out of date image.

Use the picture icon on the toolbar to select a replacement image. Because this likely to have many pixels, click near the top left of your chart. It is likely to then display much larger than you need. Select the image, drag the bottom-right handle up to the left while the SHIFT key is pressed. The aspect ratio of the image will be maintained as you reduce it to the required size. Now drag it to superimpose the unwanted image.

The ability to select and replace such an image is on the Visual Chartform feature enhancement list.

Robin

Jeff -

Another way to update a chart is to make a new chart with the new info or image and copy/paste a box or boxes into the old chart that's been customized:

- make the same chart (using the same settings) with the new image and leave that chart open on the screen

- use File / Open to open the old chart (to be cautious you may want to save the old chart with a new name and work on a copy)

- use Window on the menu to switch between the 2 charts

- important: using View, verify that both chart views are set to Percentage 100% so the boxes are the same size.

- use Copy / Paste to copy just that box from the new chart to the old chart, deleting the box with the old image.

Virginia

Thank you both.

I used RobinL's suggestion and it worked fine.

Virginia's suggestion is also excellent and I may also give it a try.

I am creating a fancy family tree for inclusion in a book I am writing. After creating it I "selected everything" and pasted it as an image in my paint program, saving it as a graphic file which I then used in my Word document.

It worked fine, but I was wondering if there were simpler ways to do it. I did not try to copy/paste directly into Word but that might also have worked.

Jeff -

You can save your chart directly as a .jpg file, using File / Export in VCF. In the VCF forum there are jpg images (from File/Export) attached to many of the messages - wherever you see the attachment icon (a paperclip) next to the message subject.

Virginia