E524

date question

How does everyone deal with ongoing dates? I have someone who started work in 1996 and is still working in 2010 and will probably continue. So my problem becomes how to display that. From 1996 to 2010 seams like it creates a stop in 2010. between 1996 and 2010 doesn't sound right either.

How does everyone deal with ongoing dates? I have someone who started work in 1996 and is still working in 2010 and will probably continue. So my problem becomes how to display that. From 1996 to 2010 seams like it creates a stop in 2010. between 1996 and 2010 doesn't sound right either.

I like "from 1996 to date" or "from whenever to past whenever" or "from whenever to at least whenever." It's irregular, so one has to sequence the tag with the sort date.

Robert

Why put any ending date? Rather, "started in yyyy..." or "became a ___ in yyyy..." may serve just as well.

I find that standard sentences don't work well if I really know anything of substance about someone's occupation. I end up writing most of it in the Memo after beginning with the standard [P] was... phrasing, or simply changing the sentence to [M] and putting the whole thing in the memo in a way that makes sense.

I agree with Terry that the best way to get exactly the output you want is to customize the sentence. And if the sentence is simply "[M]" remember that you can include variables, like [D], in the memo text. However, if you really want to avoid an irregular date, what about "After"?

For a number of my tag types I have separate custom role sentences for my most common sentence structures. For a single date I have a sentence that begins with: "As of [D], [P]...". For a date range, or a date with a prefix like "After", I have: "[D] [P]..."

Hope this gives you ideas,