ricko

Idea for stop-gap unicode support

I have many Japanese names in my database that I obviously cannot store in TMG's database.

I have come up with a stop-gap solution to at leaset record those names. I create a custom tag "UNICODE and attach to it an external rtf file created with Windows Wordpad and saved in unicode format.

This works well.

If the file is saved as an external txt file, however, TMG opens the txt file in its own text editor and this program component does not recognize the file's format and therefore displays it improperly.

Could the text editor used by TMG be made to be configurable?

As a side note, even the web site created by Second Site does not display the unicode text file. John- can this be fixed?

(Haven't tried an rtf file in Secon Site.)

There is another alternative that I have been experimenting with.

In the .NET framework, a non ASCII character can be (UNICODE!) can be represented as the sequence

backslash lower case u then 4 hex digits where the 4 hex digits are the the Unicode code point for that glyph.

The 4 hex digits can be seen at the bottom left in Windows Character Map (for example the Male symbol is \u2642).

This can be entered anywhere in TMG as \\u2642 (note the escaped backslash).

On the TMG screen this is shown without glyph conversion as it is entered. This means that you can enter person names etc as correct characters in Name_Vars etc. Memos don't need to be special. Then at least your TMG project will contain the correct data in a standard format.

There are Unicode Editors that will input data in this form and show the correct glyphs for you. I have requested that (as an interim) WhollyGenes modifies their Report Writer to make this glyph translation as any printed output is created.

I am having the same problem, I think. I tried entering \\u0142 to change the l to the "Latin small letter l with stroke" for a Polish location. It displays as \\u0142. What am I doing wrong? I also tried the ALLCHARS suggested by someone else and couldn't get that to work either. I use the Arial font as my font and the Polish letter I want is listed there but it won't display in TMG. Please help me. I am very frustrated. Thank you for any help you can give me. Barbara

I am having the same problem, I think. I tried entering \\u0142 to change the l to the "Latin small letter l with stroke" for a Polish location. It displays as \\u0142. What am I doing wrong? I also tried the ALLCHARS suggested by someone else and couldn't get that to work either. I use the Arial font as my font and the Polish letter I want is listed there but it won't display in TMG. Please help me. I am very frustrated. Thank you for any help you can give me. Barbara

It will display as entered in TMG... "\\u0142"

Read what Robin wrote above more carefully. He wrote...

On the TMG screen this is shown without glyph conversion as it is entered.

As a side note, even the web site created by Second Site does not display the unicode text file. John- can this be fixed?
Second Site 3.1+ should detect UTF files, but they must start with the Unicode "Byte Order Mark" (BOM; See Wikipedia). The software you used to create the text file can probably be configured to add the BOM for you.

(Haven't tried an rtf file in Second Site.)
Second Site does not read or process non-text, non-HTML text file attachments, it just copies them to the output folder and makes links to them. So, for RTF files used as attachments with Second Site, the computer of the person browsing the site will determine whether or not an RTF file in UTF format will appear correctly.