sam.m

Frustrated by GEDCOM incompatabilities

For reference spotted the following blog post "Frustrated by GEDCOM incompatabilities" in which DearMYRTLE talk about her experience trying to import a Rootsmagic created GEDCOM in UTF-8 format in to TMG and ends up downloading Legacy Family Tree to create a GEDCOM in ANSI format as recommended here.

Can Rootsmagic (which I don't use) output ANSI format GEDCOM's?

Not as far as I can see. There is no option to control the character set and a GEDCOM file created by RM4 uses UTF-8.

'Myrtle' apparently doesn't understand how simple it is to convert a UTF-8 GEDCOM to ANSI.

RootsMagic developers have apparently chosen not to offer that option to ensure that users don't accidentally mess up their data by stripping off incompatible UTF-8 characters. Since most users don't know the difference between ANSI and UTF-8 they won't understand the consequences of chosing one over the other.

The real problem is that TMG doesn't accept the UTF-8 characters.

Edited by altenbernd

For reference spotted the following blog post "Frustrated by GEDCOM incompatabilities" in which DearMYRTLE talk about her experience trying to import a Rootsmagic created GEDCOM in UTF-8 format in to TMG and ends up downloading Legacy Family Tree to create a GEDCOM in ANSI format as recommended here.

Rootsmagic cannot save its Unicode data in Ansi format. I would not trust the data if it could.