catastrophe

Invalid seek offset.

Reboot your computer. Open TMG and - if you are able to without that error message - run the Maintenance options in the order Optimize - Validate File Integrity - Optimize, until VFI reports no more errors.

Did anything new on your computer precede this error? If you are running a virus scanner you might try turning it off temporarily while you try to open TMG.

Virginia

It's not an error that we're familiar with.

Apparently this is a known Visual FoxPro 9 error caused by an outside factor. It is discussed on this page...

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~InvalidSeekOffsetError1103

One explanation on that page is as follows...

"Over the years, we had seen this error and determined cause to be a memory conflict with printing systems from HP and a small number of other vendors. We fight this much less now with VFP9 SP2. VFP constantly polls the default windows printer whether you are in the act of printing or not, so there is no real natural indication it is the printer causing the problem. Try uninstalling HP printing systems or other specific vendor printing systems that exist and use only the equivalent driver for your printer from Microsoft."

I tried to restart and turn off my av. Neither option seemed to work. I do not have any printers installed. I checked that link and none of the issues listed apply to me. Im on a desktop running windows xp pro sp3 with v6 TMG.

Is there anything else to try?

To do TMG reports, you must have at least one (default) printer installed. And if VFP is checking the default prInter, there also must be at least one printer installed. Maybe that's the issue. Install at least one printer driver (whether it is actually used or not).

To do TMG reports, you must have at least one (default) printer installed. And if VFP is checking the default prInter, there also must be at least one printer installed. Maybe that's the issue. Install at least one printer driver (whether it is actually used or not).

I installed a printer driver. Also restarted to no avail. Is there anyway to save my data out of TMG? Is a windows backup enough to be able to recover from?

Edited by catastrophe

If it is a problem with the TMG program, your project files may well be all right. Did you make backups (.sqz files) from within v6?

You can always download and reinstall the program. The full v6 download is here.

You will need your registration number after you install the program.

Virginia

Did you make backups (.sqz files) from within v6?

You can always download and reinstall the program.

The full v6 download is here.

You will need your registration number after you install the program.

Virginia

This is actually a friends computer I am trying to fix. I dont think he has any backups. Is there a way or some files I can save before a reinstall that would allow me to recover all the data after the reinstall?

His data is in the project files. By default in v6 they are stored in C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\Projects. Each project contains multiple files - 60 or more files per project - and he may have more than one project in a folder, so save the entire Project folder in a new location before reinstalling.

Virginia