dreward

Copy project appears not to work

I am trying to copy my main project "FAMILY" to a new project name "AUS FAMILY" by following the instruction on chapter 2 page 16 of GTMOO.

Everything seems to go OK, data appears transferred but when I click on the project name AUS FAMILY, all I get is a blank page, no names in the index, no master source lists etc, in fact nothing.

When I compare the copied FAMILY file with AUS FAMILY the details agree exactly - file sizes the same, no files missing.

I have retried this now three times and each time the same result. What is it that I am doing wrong?

Can anyone help here? I am using v7.04

Dave

Dave -

In the copied project, check File / Data Set Manager to see if that data set is Disabled. If so, enable it.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

Thanks for your reply. When I called up the Australian Family in the Dataset, it wasn't there so couldn't be enabled.

However I'm begining to get confused about Projects and Datasets again.

I created a new project called Australian Family by copying the original FAMILY, therefore to my mind I dont have a dataset called Australian Family.

I'm sorry to be so vague here but this is the first time that I have tried to copy. I have in the past created 6 new projects but never copied. I prefer projects to multiple datasets as I don't like having to wade through names ID prefixed by 1:000, 2:000, 3:000

Dave

What you describe shouldn't happen but you need to follow Virginia's instructions.

Every project contains one or more subsets called data sets.

You need to use File / Data Set Manager. Select the data set in the list and click the [Enable] button if it is active.

Dave -

Every project has at least one dataset. Like you I prefer one dataset per project. If you look in File / Dataset Manager you will see your single dataset in your project. So for a single dataset in a project, the terms project and dataset are the same entity. If folks have multiple datasets in a project, the terms are more specific.

When you use File / Open from the Sample project or your primary project, do you see your copied project Australian Family listed there?

Virginia

Dave -

Every project has at least one dataset. Like you I prefer one dataset per project. If you look in File / Dataset Manager you will see your single dataset in your project. So for a single dataset in a project, the terms project and dataset are the same entity. If folks have multiple datasets in a project, the terms are more specific.

When you use File / Open from the Sample project or your primary project, do you see your copied project Australian Family listed there?

Virginia

Good evening Virginia and Jim

First of all I have deleted all files from the new project directory Australian Family. To make sure nothing was left I did a reboot.

Back in TMG I once again did Copy Project and during the copying process TMG opened a few windows from which I concluded everything was going OK. Once finished, I visually checked the number of files (81) in the Australian Family directory, which had now also all been renamed as Austalian Family, with the original Family directory. All the extensions and sizes matched.

Then via the Projects file list called up the Australian Family which evetually gave me once again the total blank page, no index, Source List or anything else.

Next step was to go to the Dataset manager which informed me that the dataset Australian Family was added but each of the 6 boxes and the title line was greyed out. My next step was to add the Australian Family dataset once more - thus now 2. Now all boxes tickable, clicked OK and got a 2nd Australian Family dataset.

Going on the assumption that the first was useless, I considered deleting that but decided the wording that appeared - "are you sure you want to delete dataset Australian Family" meant I was going to delete the whole dataset! Is this true ?

So I'm back once again to square on and still wondering what to do next.

Virginia, the answer to the last question above is YES the Australian Family dataset does appear.

Cheers

Dave

I copy projects all the time so I'm not sure what the problem is :unsure: the operation should be straight forward

1. In Windows Explorer create a new folder in your preferred location for projects this new folder will be the destination for the copy
  2. Start TMG - close the project if it's the one you want to copy - File > Close Project - (you can't have the project you wish to copy open)
  3. File > copy Project (this is active even when there no open project)
  4. Navigation dialog opens - Navigate to the project project folder you want to copy - select the project - click Open
  5. Dialog box opens - Selected project: path and project is displayed
    second line says Now specify the NEW project location and name to which it will be copied. - click OK
  6. Navigation dialog opens - Navigate to new folder you created in step 1 select it - type a name in the File name text box - click Open
  7. Progress dialog box displays then closes
  8. Dialog box opens: The project has been successfully copied. - click OK
  9. File > Open Project - navigate to the new folder - select the New Project - click Open - new copy of project opens. :rolleyes:

Dave -

I made a video of the Copy process. You can view the video (no audio) on Screencast here or download it to your computer for future reference. The orange Download link for the video is at the very bottom of the screen, under the thumbnails and below the Details tab / Content. You want to download the .swf (Flash) file, not the .jpg. On your computer, rightclick on the video and select your browser to view it.

My routine may differ a bit since I keep each project in its own folder, but the basics are the same: select the .pjc file of the project you want to copy and then give the copy .pjc a new name and new folder if you wish.

Hope this helps to find the problem -

Virginia

Dave -

I made a video of the Copy process. You can view the video (no audio) on Screencast here or download it to your computer for future reference. The orange Download link for the video is at the very bottom of the screen, under the thumbnails and below the Details tab / Content. You want to download the .swf (Flash) file, not the .jpg. On your computer, rightclick on the video and select your browser to view it.

My routine may differ a bit since I keep each project in its own folder, but the basics are the same: select the .pjc file of the project you want to copy and then give the copy .pjc a new name and new folder if you wish.

Hope this helps to find the problem -

Virginia

To Virginia and Glenn

First of all my thanks Virginia for the video instruction and Glenn for his instructions about copying.

Instead of trying these on the main computer I decided to install on the netbook, a reasonably uncluttered clean machine: needless to say both set of instructions worked a charm but one part of Glenn's instruction sprang out like a bolt of EverReadys, namely that the project you were trying to copy should be closed. The project to be copied came over perfectly as it did when using Virginia's.

Back to the main computer - Virginia, your instructions once more gave a blank person page and blank everything despite the fact all files were copied and despite the fact that I used both methods ie, closed down and kept open the original project.

Glenn, your method - close down project to be copied - produced the required result and I'm happy now but I fail to see why my computer had such an aversion to copying the project. Obviously there must be bug somewhere inside it.

Anyway I now have the result I wanted and once again thanks to both for your help.

Dave

Dave -

I'm happy to hear you finally got it working. Good reminder about making sure the project-to-be-copied is closed.

I wondered if something in the location/path of the copy might have been a problem on the computer.

Virginia

Glad you got the copy - I'm not sure why you didn't get the dialog re copying open project.

When you try to copy an open project you should get a dialog box telling you that the project is in use and can't be copied.

post-395-1281629426_thumb.png

Clicking OK simply dismisses the dialog box.

Edited by ggilbert1