Sign in to follow this  
strathglass

Audio Files not External?

When my backup size grew enormously after adding some audio file exhibits, I thought maybe I accidentally added them as internal exhibits (I default to external).

However in checking it seems audio files do not indicate if they are internal or external, and based on the db backup size, I can only assume they are in reality stored as internal.

Is this true? Is there any way around this issue?

Regards,

Strathglass.

When my backup size grew enormously after adding some audio file exhibits, I thought maybe I accidentally added them as internal exhibits (I default to external).

However in checking it seems audio files do not indicate if they are internal or external, and based on the db backup size, I can only assume they are in reality stored as internal.

Is this true? Is there any way around this issue?

Regards,

Strathglass.

I have a couple of very large external mp3s which are exhibits in my "oral history" tag. I didn't notice any particular jump in backup size when they were added (to tell the truth, I wasn't looking very hard). But they are definitely external; if one changes the file extension in the exhibits folder TMG can't find them any more and the little audio icon in the exhibit log changes to a frowny face.

Robert

In v7.04, I can't see any way to attach an audio exhibit except as an external exhibit. Looking at the Properties / Info tab will show you how the file is linked. The space taken up by a single exhibit record linked to an external exhibit is insignificant.

When my backup size grew enormously after adding some audio file exhibits, I thought maybe I accidentally added them as internal exhibits (I default to external)

Is it possible you have "include external exhibits" checked in your backup?

I think I have two issues here:

#1 - Terry is right, I have the backup configured to include external exhibits, so that explains the backup size (but more on this below).

#2 - It is still not clear though that the audio files are external:

I have two ways to see exhibit info:

[a] there is an area at the lower right of the exhibit log that displays info about the exhibit, and

on the info tab of the exhibit's properties window.

Here is what I see using these two methods:

FOR AN INTERNAL EXHIBIT (an image, 2nd exhibit for the person):

[a] shows:

"2 (Internal), (1-15)/15

person 1:3"

shows

"IMAGE

Internal image file

Full name c:\USERS\STRATHGLASS\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\TMG422098729\E_000013.jpg

(etc)"

FOR AN EXTERNAL EXHIBIT (an image, 1st and primary exhibit for the person):

[a] shows

"1 (External), (1-15)/15

shows

"IMAGE

External image file

Full name c:\strathglass_genealogy\exhibits\PHOTO-SMITH-John circa 1935.jpg"

(etc)"

FOR AN AUDIO EXHIBIT (9th exhibit for the person):

[a] shows

"9, (1-15)/15

shows

"AUDIO

26,741,239 bytes, 13 Aug 2010 20:24:34

c:\strathglass_genealogy\exhibits\MISC-SMITH-John oral recording circa 1959.mp3"

So you see, it is not obvious for the audio exhibit (unlike the other two cases) whether the exhibit is internal or external.

However the path info does support the notion that it is external. Shouldn't the info per [a] and support this like it does for image exhibits?

Finally, how are images in a backup handled? Specifically, what happens when I do a restore to those images? (Never had to do a restore.)

Regards,

Strathglass

Finally, how are images in a backup handled? Specifically, what happens when I do a restore to those images? (Never had to do a restore.)

If you store your exhibits in a single folder, the files will be copied to the folder you specify in the Wizard.

If you store your exhibits in a tree, manage your exhibits outside of TMG and don't use backup/restore for exhibits.

%%%%%%%%%%

An audio exhibit is more complicated than an image exhibit.

The audio file is linked as an external file.

You can also add an image to the audio exhibit. The image can be linked as an external file or converted to an internal memo in the audio exhibit record.

I have a related question. When I first started using TMG, I did not pay attention if pictures were added as internal or external. Now I make them all external as I begin to use Second Site. Some of my older exhibits, still show when I click on exhibits for that person, but I cannot find where

that picture is stored.

So my question is, when I am viewing a picture in the exhibts section, how do I find where it is stored?

Thanks.

When the exhibit log is open and an exhibit is selected there is a box at the right above the buttons at the bottom. It will say "(Internal)" or "(External)". If you click on Properties for the selected exhibit, and click the Info tab, it will also tell you whether it is internal or external, and if external where the file is located.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

In future it is better to start a new topic when you have a new question rather than adding it as a reply to an existing topic. It is easier for other users to find it and offer answers.