robinkaspar

Research log/tasks

I don't use the research log like I should, but now that I'm getting older, I see the benefits more than ever.

I pulled a list of tasks report and found several entries I created back in 2006. They are all labeled "general" rather than "person" and without any names, I can't tell who the tasks are for and I'd like to either correct that or delete them entirely.

For instance, the task for one says "look up Harry and Bessie in 1930 Allegany County Maryland." I can't find a Harry and Bessie in my main project. I vaguely recall creating a project on Harry Truman back when my mother insisted she was always told she was related to Harry Truman's mother. I did a little census work on them, determined that there weren't any apparent links to our family and quit. I got a new computer in 2007 and didn't copy over that project to the new one, so that project is gone. If this was a task from that project, could it still show up in my list of tasks in my main project? If so, how do I get rid of the entries?

Thanks for any help.

Robin in Short Pump

I got a new computer in 2007 and didn't copy over that project to the new one, so that project is gone. If this was a task from that project, could it still show up in my list of tasks in my main project?

No. The only way that a task record can exist in a project is if the task were added directly or by merge or by import to the project.

It's possible that you added the Truman data in another data set in the project and that data set still exists. Check File / Data Set Manager.

If so, how do I get rid of the entries?

Open the Research Log and set the focus to 'All Tasks'. Identify the tasks and delete them.

Thanks Jim.

I didn't know I could display all tasks. That's exactly what I was looking for, those errant tasks are now history.

Robin in Short Pump