Daryl Edmonds

Problem with CDX files

I've been travelling, entering data in my laptop and, now that I'm home again, went to restore my desktop data to match my laptop, which I've successfully done many times before. This time, when I try to do that, I get the following error message: "There are problems with CDX files. Please let me know about it ASAP. Sher". I think I read somewhere that they are index files. How do I fix them, if I can?

Hi Daryl,

1) Take a copy of the **original** SQZ file and keep it somewhere safe.

2) Now a SQZ file is a ZIP file with a different (legacy) extension.

3) Depending on the Zip/Unzip tools you have available, you may have to change the SQZ extension to ZIP before the next step.

4) Now use WinZip or its equivalent to extract all files from the SQZ archive into a **new** empty folder.

5) Using Windows Explorer navigate to this new folder.

6) Sort the files by type to make the next select easier.

7) Select **only** the files with .CDX extension and **delete** them.

8) Now open TMG, File > Project Open and navigate to the new folder and select the PJC file.

9) TMG should now open the project, and in the the process will re-create the just deleted CDX files.

10) Prove that the project is now working as expected.

11) Now File > Backup this project to create a repaired SQZ file.

12) Return to your normal method of restoring, but using this repaired SQZ file.

13) You might like to submit the **original** SQZ file to Wholly Genes Support for them to send it on to the developer Sher. If you do this you should cross-reference to thread on the forum to give him the context.

Thanks Robin,

I was about to say "don't worry, it's been fixed" when your reply came in. My computer was getting sluggish (seems to be a Windows phenomenon, anyone know a cure?) so I closed all programs and rebooted the computer. When I reloaded TMG it created a new index, etc. and the restore went without a hitch. I'll file your repair method away for future reference.

Thanks Jim - yes I did know that but just lost it in a a "senior moment".

At least all is now working for Daryl.