Allan -

The first time TMG v7 runs after it is installed, it creates three Data File Storage (DFS) folders, as explained in the Help topic 'Data File Storage'. There will be a set of three DFS folders for each installation you made - each path ending with the name of the installation folder you used. The default installation folder is as in the list below. You should be able to find the folders if you look in those locations on your computer. I added the three DFS folders to my Favorites list in Windows Explorer - so I can find them easily.

My article here explains in a little more detail, with screenshots, which files are in which folders, and also explains how to see hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer, in case that is why you are not finding them. The list below was drawn up before Win7, but the locations in Win7 are similar to Vista:

==================================

1. Shared Program Data Files (buttons, graphics, language, help files, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

=================================

2. User Program Data Files (layouts, toolbars, dna, app.ini, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

================================

3. User Data Files (logs, projects, config files, export, exhibits, etc.)

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

=================================

Let us know if that is not clear or if you have any questions about the DFS system.

Virginia

Virginia - It is doing it again!! 'File in use by another user'. The only change I have made from when it was working properly on my re-installation (when it had reverted to being an unregistered 30-day trial copy) is to enter my Serial Number in order to register it as a licenced copy. Could the system be tripping up over this?

Would it help if I sent over a .doc with a sequence of screenprints?

The installation program (tmg7setup.exe 05/08/2010) has 45,462KB. The application itself (tmg7.exe 13/02/2009) has 41,638KB. Are these complete?

The values that you gave are rounded so are useless.

TMG v7.04

tmg7setup.exe - 46,552,735 bytes

tmg7.exe - 42,636,703 bytes

You have to look at the file properties to get the file size.

Select the file. Right-click and select 'Properties'.

tmg7setup.exe - Size 44.3 MB (46,552,735 bytes) Size on disk 44.3 MB (46,555,136 bytes)

tmg7.exe - Size 40.6 MB (42,636,703 bytes) Size on disk 0.6 MB (42,639,360 bytes)

... so no difference there.

No. For Reports I get four more different message when I Ignore, and finally a message saying 'The report definition is in use by another user' which I cannot close. For Preferences I get two different message on ignore, and then a display of the Program - The Master Genealogist v7 folder contents

When I close that I get a new message 'file outtype.dbf' does not exist. When I Ignore that I get five further different messages, and then get thown back to TMG Preferences - Current Project Options - General. If I then click on Project Options - Reports the display is empty.

Edited by allanpeter

Jim, Michael, Virginia, Terry.

Thanks to you all for your support on this. There seem to be some fundamental issues with the application, like calling for a .dbf file that doesn't exist, and locking me out because it thinks there is another person using the program. I have put the problem to 'support@whollygenes.com' who, I hope, have the technical resources to figure this out. If there isn't a quick (and robust) solution I will most likely revert back to populating my previous software package. Whilst it doesn't have some of the nice features of TMG, it also hasn't given me any problems for the past ten years.

Best regards

Allan

Edited by allanpeter

Allan,

There has to be something unique either about your computer system or how you are installing the program since hundreds and hundreds of users have no problem installing and using this software. Hopefully support can figure out the issue. Good luck.

Let us know what you find out, Allan. You also may be able to get some clues from the error.txt file in the Logs folder (in the User Data Files folder - No. 3 on my list above). The error.txt file captures and stores TMG error messages. Each message is date-and-time-stamped so you can correlate it with the actual installation process. A message saying 'class not registered', for example, could be significant in an installation. With an error event there is often a string of error messages - but only the first message in the string is important and most useful for figuring out the cause of a problem.

Good luck - and keep us posted.

Virginia

Many thanks Virginia. error.txt is certainly a well-populated file! This morning the sequence was (<my action>:

<Report - Descendant Indented Narrative>

24-08-2010, 07:49:25 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:50:00 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 9 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.MSETCONTROLS

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:50:42 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:51:11 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 9 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.MSETCONTROLS

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:51:36 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:51:41 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 9 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.MSETCONTROLS

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:51:43 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:51:45 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 9 FRMRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.MSETCONTROLS

<Ignore>

24-08-2010, 07:53:21 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

<Ignore>

Display of Descendant Indented Narrative with empty File type box

I wonder if there is a connection with the message 'File 'outtype.dbf' does not exist'.

Allan -

As I mentioned, only the first message in an error event is significant in determining the cause; that was

24-08-2010, 07:49:25 107Operator/operand type mismatch. 13 ISOUTFILETYPE

The other messages reflect actions that follow and do not need to be reported.

Tech Support will have some suggestions to help resolve the problem.

Keep us posted -

Virginia

Virginia,

Tech Support recommended that I do a re-installation in Safe Mode. I now no longer get any of the warning /fatal messages, which were causing my paranoia. This means that the re-installation has given me back a usable system. Although there is still a discontinuity between File-Performance-Reports displayed list of Options, and the list displayed in the Report Narrative Definition screen, because I still have access to the RTF option, I can once again produce and save reports with end/foot notes and, if I want, convert them to Word format. I can easily live with this.

Allan

FileTypes.pngFileTypes2.png

Allan -

Good news that you no longer are getting the error messages, but I don't understand why you are not seeing all the report file types on the report definition screen for the Descendant Indented Narrative.

In Preferences / Reports / Preferred output types, if you click on Select All and then OK, your screen should look like the first screenshot above, with all file types selected - including Word for Windows 2000.

In the report definition screen for the Descendant Indented Narrative, the 'Save to' drop-down list of file types should be fully populated as in the second screenshot. If not, there is still a problem that needs to be resolved.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia.

The problem remains that the 'Save To' continues to have jusr Acrobat, ASCII and RTF displayed. I've told TECH Support that I can live with what I've got, but if they want me to play with my configuration against their instructions to help them try and find the fault I'm happy to do this.

Allan