Options / Sources / select Endnotes

To have the citation list in the report, you need to output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF or HTML.

If you output to screen or printer directly, you will need to run the Endnotes report after the Descendent Indented Narrative.

Options / Sources / select Endnotes

To have the citation list in the report, you need to output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF or HTML.

If you output to screen or printer directly, you will need to run the Endnotes report after the Descendent Indented Narrative.

Thanks Jim, but I think I am still missing something in the way I am configuring this. I am outputing to Word, and still get nothing tagged on the end of the report.

Hi Allan,

When you say "citation list" added to the end, I am not sure whether you really mean the citations to each event, or the Bibliography? You need to be sure that your report Options are set to output the citations. Open the Report Definition and click the "Options..." button. On the "Sources" tab, if you want the actual citations at the end, select "Endnotes". However, if you want the citations as footnotes on each page, but the list of sources at the end as a Bibliography, select "Footnotes" here. Then on the "Publications Tools" tab, select Bibliography.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Hi Michael/Virginia.

Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm afraid I'm still struggling with this one. My challenge is that I have migrated a GEDCOM from my previous database to TMG V7 (silver). Typically, in the previous database I had an entry against an event (Death) under 'Source Reference' as '(see notes) - Free BMD Mar 1855 Depwade 4b 203'. In TMG I can see it as being brought across on the Tag Entry window as: 1 citation, and below that in the blue line '24 (see notes) Free BMD Mar 1855 Depwa..... . If I 'right click' and select 'Edit this citation' I see 'Source 24 (see notes) at the top of the Citation window, and 'Free BMD Mar 1855 Depwade 4b 203' in the Citation Memo box. In my Descendancy Narrative Report, against this event I have 'He died on 7th Feb 1855 at Depwade, Norfolk, aged 84.' followed by superscript 1. My expectation is that superscript 1refers to '24 (see notes) Free BMD Mar 1855 Depwade 4b 203' - and that is what I want to see printed under the heading Endnotes at the end of the Narrative Report. At the moment I don't even get a page with Endnotes as a header. On 'Report Options' I have selected 'Endnotes'. I can't find a View or Display setting in the Word configuration.

Allan

Edited by allanpeter

Allan,

If you see the superscript number then the notes are there. The issue is that Word only displays them in certain "views." The one that displays footnotes, endnotes, and other fancy features is called Page Layout in older versions, and I think Print Layout in newer versions. If you have a version of Word older than Word 2007, you use the View menu, and select that layout. The way to do that is different on the "Ribbon" used on newer versions, and I don't have that version here to find it. You might search Word Help for "layout" if you have Word 2007 or 2010.

Terry,

Many thanks for your comment. I'm using Word 2003, and cannot find any configuration in there to view Endnotes. However, what I have found is that, if I save the report to RTF, I then get an Endnote report. The text in the Endnote report corresponds to that contained in the Source - Source Definition - Full Footnote box. Not quite what I expected, and it may mean that I have to edit all the migrated Notes. But it is a solution. Having got this far, you might be able to tell me if there is a 'Simpleton's Guide to using Sources, Citations (Detail and Memo), Abreviations, Footnotes (Full and Short), Bibliography, Supplemental (Comments and Reminder), and Reference'. I can then more easily sort out what I need to use before I dive in again.

Allan

Allan -

I have Word 2003 and in TMG select the output for 'Word for Windows 2000 or later'. I am using the default settings for Descendancy Indented Narrative and with Sources as Endnotes (not as unique Endnotes). When this report opens in Word 2003, I see the Word 'Endnote' at the very bottom of the document - but there are no endnotes. When I click on View / Print Layout, all the Endnotes appear.

Is there some setting or step there that you are doing differently?

Virginia

Virginia,

Many thanks for this. Can you help me with instructions on how to navigate from the TMG main menu screen to where I select 'Word for Windows 2000 or later'. I feel I have searched every screen, but cannot find it!

Allan

Allan,

Select Report // Descendancy Narrative from the menu, which will display the Report Definition Screen. On that screen, click Save to: and from the pull-down list for File type: select Word for Windows 2000 or later.

If that is not one of your pull-down options, then from the main menu select File // Preferences. Under the main Program Options, click on the entry Reports. Scroll down that list and be sure that Word for Windows 2000 or later is one of the checked output types. If not, check it, then OK out of Preferences. Now that option should be in the pull-down list.

I am afraid this is becoming a nightmare. The only options listed are ASII, PFD and RTF. So I look in Preferences - Report Types, and every option, including 'Word for Windows 2000', has a tick against it. And yet it isn't listed in the Narrative screen Options! So I clear the ticks, and select only 'Word for Windows 2000' to see if that brings it into the Report Options on the Descendancy Narrative screen. Result - I now cannot get into the Report Narrative screen at all - message 'File is n use 2FRMRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.CMBFILETYPES.MFILLVALUES2' , followed by 'Operator/operand type mismatch 2FRMTMGOPTIONS.UNLLOAD'. Eventually , after a whole string of fatal error notices, I get 'The report definition is in use by another user'. This message has no option to Abort/Ignore/..., and I can't even close the programme. So I reboot, only to find that the problem is not resolved, and I am now permanently locked out of all Reports. I've tried closing the Project and restoring from the last backup. No change. Any ideas on what is causing this? I'm now going to try re-installing the TMG application.

Edited by allanpeter

What operating system are you using?

Has the report writer worked before and this is a new problem?

Do you have a printer installed?

Have you installed v7 in the default locations?

In Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced, what is the location of the Configuration_ files?

Virginia

Allan - if you are able to get into TMG, run the File / Maintenance Options: Optimize - Validate File Integrity - Optimize, in that order, repeating the process until Validate File Integrity shows no more errors.

Virginia

Did you reinstall? When you get back in to TMG, first in the Preferences select (check) what you had before (ASII, PFD and RTF) plus also check the Word option. That should let you back into the Report Definition. Virginia is asking the questions she did because there must be something unique/different about your installation. This is one of the most basic things that should work.

Michael/Virginia. I have managed to re-install. A slight problem because I was not allowed to re-install into the original folder (which the de-installation would not delete), so had to create a new folder and install into that. I could now get into the Narrative Report definition, and the Save To: File Type: now listed only 'Word for Windows 2000 or later'. I ran a report, saving it as a file, and then printed out the .doc file which now had the Endnotes page. I have checked File-Preferences-Reports, and as now expected, the only option ticked is the 'Word for Windows 2000 or later'. So, all now appears to be as it should be. The query is why, when all the Options were ticked, I was only getting .pdf, ASCII and RTF listed in the Narrative Report Definition? I did the Integrity/Optimise sequence as you suggested, Virginia, and the first run through came up with the message 'Three potential problems fixed', and then it was clean. The answer to your other questions, Virginia, are 1) Windows XP, 2) the report writer has worked before, c) I have a Brother printer installed, and d) C:\Documents and Settings\Allan Mornement\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Configuration_files\

So - thank you both for your efforts in finding a solution to my problem, even though it may have left you with the question as to why it occured. Now I have the Endnotes, I need to understand this whole 'Sources, Citations (Detail and Memo), Abreviations, Footnotes (Full and Short), Bibliography, Supplemental (Comments and Reminder), and Reference' process. Is there a 'Dummies' Guide'?

Allan

Edited by allanpeter

Glad you got it working. Virginia and I suspected a reinstall would fix it.

"Is there a 'Dummies' Guide'?" Yes, there are two I would recommend.

On-line see: Terry's Tips about TMG http://tmg.reigelridge.com/index.htm

You may also want to get his Primer book, which he mentions on his main web page.

If you go to his on-line Table of Contents you should review his Basic Tutorial on Sources.

Good luck, and feel free to ask a new question.

Michael/Virginia

Thanks again. I have never run a registry cleaner, despite the seductive 'pop up' advertisements that irritatingly appear at frequent intervals. I've always been wary in case it introduces more problems than it resolves. I am, however, thinking of downloading Microsoft Security Essentials to replace my current security package, on the grounds that, as a Microsoft application, it is more likely to 'know what it is doing'. Warn me off if I am wrong in this assumption!

I've had a quick 'peek' at Terry's tutorial. It looks good. I'll work through it after I have had my morning 'cuppa'.

Allan

Edited by allanpeter

Mmmmm - I don't seem to be 'out of the woods' yet. When I tried to run a Descendency Narrative I am NOW getting a message ' Report definition in use by another user'. This message closes after about six clicks, and gives me access to the Report Definition screen.. However, there is now nothing in the dropdown list of Save as File type options. So I go to File - Preferences - to see which option is ticked - and get a message 'File in use 25 OLEMULTI.INIT, and am denied entry. So I go to Maintenance and run Validate File Integrity, and get the message 'Validation complete. No problems found'. So I try to run the same report against another person, and get 'File is in use 2FMFRDS_PEOPLE.CNTREPDEST.CMBFILETYPES.MFILLVALUES2 I try a few more times to get into a Descendency Narrative Report Definition screen, and eventually succeed. But the Save as File type option now lists only .PDF, ASCII and RTF - once again. I hurry to File - Preferences - Report - and find the Output Types now completely empty. So its back to Maintenance - Validate File Integrity, and no problems found. I am rapidly losing the will to live with this.

Allan

A possibility... When I de-installed TMG using Windows Add/Remove programs facility, the facility would not remove the folder: The Master Genealogist v7. When I re-installed, the TMG installation program would not let me reinstall into the folder: The Master Genealogist v7' but made me create a new folder - which I called The Master Genealogist v7 install 2 - and into which the installation program installed a new folder called 'The Master Genealogist v7'. Is the new installation looking for data in the old installation? Ideally I would like to save a backup of my data to a safe place, and get rid of everything and start again.

You should uninstall, delete all remnant program folders and reinstall. It's always a good idea to delete the remnant program folder after an uninstall if it still exists.

Because the program folder still exists after an uninstall is not a reason to change the folder name when you reinstall. The correct approach is to delete the remnant program folder before doing the reininstall.

The uninstall will not remove the program folder when it contains some file that the installer didn't place there.

You also now have multiple sets of the TMG data folders. The data folders are created by the program based on the name of the program folder. Since you installed using two program folder names, you now have two sets of data folders. See the 'Data File Storage' help topic.

The data folders have nothing to do with the TMG installer. They are created by the program, not the installer and will not be removed by an uninstall. If you wish to delete them or to delete the extra set, you must do that manually. Note that to have them recreated, you must delete the data folders, not just their contents.

Jim,

I have got to where you intended me to get to, but not quite by the same route. I uninstalled TMG, and then renamed the remnant folders. I then reinstalled TMG, checked the Preferences - Reports, ran the Validation, and then ran three reports satisfactorily. I then received your note, and had confidence to delete the two remnant program folders. I then looked for the TMG data folder, but found only the one which I assume to be the current one. It looks as if my 'multiple' re-installations did not create a new data file each time, which might explain why, on looking at Save as File type, I found only the Word 2000 ... option listed - which I had set up with a previous installation. Looking back on the 'saga', the reason why I got locked out when I tried to bring 'Word 2000 ...' into the dropdown list is still obscure - at that time I was running on the original TMG installation. The reason why I created a program folder for the first re-installation into which TMG created its own new program folder was because I misunderstood the instruction. - I won't go back to recreate the circumstances where the instruction was displayed - I am just happy to be 'out of the woods'

Many thanks

Allan