iamken

Relationships

TMG V7.04

I have a weird situation, My ancestors are all intermingled, for instance, My 4th G Grandfather's father is shown as my 3rd G Grandfather on the "Automatic Relation tag" to me.

I goto "Relationship" calculator and it is true but also shows him as my 5th G Grandfather which is also true.

Question, how do I get the "Automatic Relation Tag" to show up as my 5th not my 3rd

SS also shows him as my 3rd

Love to change it

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny,

I am not sure I follow you. Are you saying that TMG and/or SS is showing a relationship that isn't correct? If so, then you may have an indexing issue or a stray tag somewhere.

It seems like you are NOT saying there is an error. Instead, you are saying that there are two paths to the ancestor, in one he is a 3rd G and in another he is a 5th G, but you'd prefer that TMG and SS ignore the 3rd G relationship and show the 5th G. In SS, you can't do that: SS shows the closest relationship.

Kenny,

Just like SS I think TMG will also always want to show the closest relationship. Some users have added a custom Tag to their data to output sentences that describe such complex and multiple relationships, especially when there are multiple paths such as in your family tree. That may be a better solution for your purposes than relying upon the automated relationship which will always try to show the closest.

Kenny,

Just like SS I think TMG will also always want to show the closest relationship. Some users have added a custom Tag to their data to output sentences that describe such complex and multiple relationships, especially when there are multiple paths such as in your family tree. That may be a better solution for your purposes than relying upon the automated relationship which will always try to show the closest.

Thanks a bunch John and Michael

Of course, I did not want to hear that.

Heck that's not very complex, I remember something like this a 3rd G grandfather that's also a couple cousins, I think there was 6 relationships.

Michael, you said add a tag to describe that, if I did that John how could I get that tag to be under or on top of the relationship statement in SS?

Kenny

Michael, you said add a tag to describe that, if I did that John how could I get that tag to be under or on top of the relationship statement in SS?

Kenny,

Sorry, but there's no easy way to add custom content to the relationship section that SS adds to the person page entry.

Kenny,

Sorry, but there's no easy way to add custom content to the relationship section that SS adds to the person page entry.

Thanks John

Kenny,

Depending upon what would be appropriate to the narrative style you have chosen, you could put an appropriate Sort Date on such tags so that they are either first or last in your narrative. I might consider having it last, with a leading [:CR:] in the sentence to separate it from the "normal" narrative. It would not be in the standard SS relationship section, but may do close to what you want?

Kenny,

Depending upon what would be appropriate to the narrative style you have chosen, you could put an appropriate Sort Date on such tags so that they are either first or last in your narrative. I might consider having it last, with a leading [:CR:] in the sentence to separate it from the "normal" narrative. It would not be in the standard SS relationship section, but may do close to what you want?

Thanks Michael

I'll toy with that idea

Kenny

My TMG v.8 is showing a relationship between two subjects of tenth cousin 17 times removed. The son of one of these people is showing no relationship. Any idea why? Do relationships beyond certain limits not display? If I check the same relationship using the Relationship Calculator, the relationships show. But the relationship tag field shows no relationship.