strathglass

How do you enter the nickname in a Nickname tag?

It certainly isn't obvious to me.

The only thing I can assume is that I am supposed to edit the sentence and change "Nickname" to the desired nickname, but that just seems ridiculous!

Can anyone advise?

Regards,

Strathglass.

The only thing I can assume is that I am supposed to edit the sentence and change "Nickname" to the desired nickname, but that just seems ridiculous!

Can anyone advise?

Regards,

Strathglass.

Just enter the nickname in the given name of the name-nick tag....

Can anyone advise?

Regards,

Strathglass.

You can include the nickname enclosed in quotes or apostraphies in the given name field. This is the way most newspaper obituaries present nicknames and so do I. That way a nickname is obvious to anyone who has ever read an obit, so no sentence or prose changes are necessary.

The beauty of TMG is that you can do it, and most things, the way that pleases you.

Best wishes,

Mike, I assume you are saying to put the nickname in quotes in the Primary Name Tag, rather than in the Name-Nick tag? The advantage of that is it appears as the "title" name in TMG reports and charts, and in sites created with Second Site.

But I can see a couple of disadvantages. One is that it won't show up in it's proper alphabetical location in the Picklist, name indexes, or list of name in sites created with Second Site. Another is that it will appear whenever the full name is used in narratives, unless you create a separate Name Tag without the nickname and specify that in Tags which will use the full name.

Choices, choices. :)

I prefer to use the Name-Nick tag, and modify the sentence as needed. For example, my default sentence says "He was known to family as..." but on occasion I change it to "He used the name ... except for a few formal occasions" or "As an adult he generally went by..." depending on what I can learn about the subject's practices.

Mike, I assume you are saying to put the nickname in quotes in the Primary Name Tag, rather than in the Name-Nick tag? The advantage of that is it appears as the "title" name in TMG reports and charts, and in sites created with Second Site.

But I can see a couple of disadvantages. One is that it won't show up in it's proper alphabetical location in the Picklist, name indexes, or list of name in sites created with Second Site. Another is that it will appear whenever the full name is used in narratives, unless you create a separate Name Tag without the nickname and specify that in Tags which will use the full name.

Choices, choices. :)

I prefer to use the Name-Nick tag, and modify the sentence as needed. For example, my default sentence says "He was known to family as..." but on occasion I change it to "He used the name ... except for a few formal occasions" or "As an adult he generally went by..." depending on what I can learn about the subject's practices.

Your assumption of the primary name tag is correct. What an imbeded nickname does to the sort order and index depends on where you put the nickname in the given name field. I put the nickname(s) last in the field, so it affects nothing but the given name field length. No other tags or complex sentence structure additions are needed. Depending on your goals and taste, though, TMG lets you put it wherever you like.

I have never used the Name-Nick Tag nor have needed to explain a nickname in quotes/apostrophies in the primary given name field to anyone. Data is shared frequently with 1st thru n th cousins.

Another advantage of imbeded nicknames is that no special attention is needed to get nicknames to appear on VCF charts, of which I am fond. I only use Name-Var Tags for noms de plume, stage names or deliberately disguised names. It keeps things simple. A major beauty of TMG, is that you can make things as easy or as complex as pleases you. How TMG data is entered and displayed is all a matter of taste of the individual user.

Thanks for the clarification,

Mike's approach is reasonable, and I have used it at times.

But I would still like to know how to use the nickname tag:

there is no name field on the nickname tag: what is it you folks see for that tag and why does my tag look different?

Here is what I see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmachisholm/4964140525/

-Strathglass

That is not the standard name-nick tag, must be a custom tag or created from an import...

The standard tag is Name-Nick and looks like this....

post-19-1283797534_thumb.png

The standard sentence for the tag looks like this...

post-19-1283797551_thumb.png