glamberson

Genealogical Proof Standard

Hello everyone. I have a point I would like to make that is really a feature request for TMG 8 or even 9.

Could the process of providing proof for and explanation of hypotheses be intrinsically part of TMG?? PLEASE???

I know there are some ways to accomplish this is some ways, but why must I customize TMG a significant amount for this? One would think it would be a front-and-center function/highlighted feature.

I am specifically referring to the process of explaining an hypothesis and applying the Genealogical Proof Standard to my data. Recently, when working on another hypothesis that a colleague wanted some facts on, I very briefly brought up this issue in a blog post, and it occurred to me that this would be the proper venue to mention this in.

When documenting a theory in my data based upon quite a lot of research, I would like there to be a way to apply a methodology like the Genealogical Proof Standard, Preponderance Of Evidence, or others, indicating what I had done, what records I had searched, with positive, negative, inconclusive and with no results, that is VERY APPARENT, instead of having to add customized tags (like a PROOF tag or something), generic notes, etc., do accomplish this.

How many times have you been asked, "Why do you think Jimmy is the son of Mary?" It's not like methodologies do not exist for explaining theories and making proofs. I really feel this aspect of my research should be readily viewable, summarized and available in TMG as a major, very visible feature/function.

This may be way too late to be included in TMG8 as a major focus, but maybe, if it is not accommodated enough in TMG8 this discussion can be useful as a precursor to the Genealogy Tech conference next year (along with a MAJOR GEDOM standard upgrade), and of course, TMG9.

I am a bit confused about your post. Are you looking for a set of criteria which form a basis for such a proof, something like an application form? Or should the several dozen items in the GPS be formalized into specific tags in TMG? I can see where such a feature would be very useful to the professionals who use the GPS all the time. If the latter then anybody could create a set of custom tags for that purpose. And I can imagine they would be made available through the Internet similar to the several web sites with tips and custom tags.

Mike

Mike,

Sorry for being a little too vague. I would like TMG to include as a major feature that is apparent to even novice users that allows for the inclusion and presentation of theories, proofs and the status of the same based upon various genealogical methodologies. I would like to be able to enter into my data that on Feb 26, 2006, I went to the Brehm Public Library and searched the microfilm of the Mt. Vernon Register News newspaper from Feb. to March 1857, which I searched personally, I found NOTHING.

I would like to be able to make a survey list of relevant records and log my results, whether positive, negative, inconclusive, not applicable or whatever, in a way that is central and integrated into the way the information in TMG is viewable.

Providing proofs and theories is an intrinsic part of my research, and I think this is true of anyone. I have numerous theories, good and bad, proven, unknown and disproven, that I certainly do not have incorporated in any way into TMG. Who doesn't?

Why should this be the norm?

I don't think one should have to be a professional genealogist to have, discuss and present such theories and proofs. TMG is in fact used both to present information via various forms of output as well as an information store. The ability to provide an interpretation of the presented data, as is constantly necessary, should be readily available to both the novice and the professional.

--

I used to work at a very large company in the technology section. We would often hire gifted people with limited experience in working with a huge infrastructure that was already in place. When a problem arose, they would often try to solve it by adding yet another piece of technology when in fact we already had the tools in the toolbox to solve the problem. They simply weren't familiar with these tools.

My point in saying this is that TMG has the infrastructure to provide better integration of research, theories and proofs. As intrinsic parts of genealogical research, these should be ready and accessible to any user of TMG, regardless of aptitude, right out of the box. The Genealogical Proof Standard, for example, can be applied in basic form by any user or be applied in exacting detail sufficient for any professional genealogist. Applying such an approach using a checklist, presenting a theory, summary, proof, or whatever should be easy for any user and presented in such a way as to be as apparent as how to add a mother or a marriage tag to a person to cite a couple of examples.

I hope this helps clarify my thought, although there are no doubt still many vagaries in my statements.