pdvpdv

unable to make VCF report

Hi,

I am an new user of TMG.

Have the UK version and windows 7.

I can make normal reports, preview and print them, I cannot make CHART reports.

I am unable to save them and unable to view in Visual Chartform.

Even if I make an empty file in VCF itself and save it, and then go back and try to make a report and overwrite the existing empty file, the file is gone.

Can anyone help me out ?

Hi,

I am an new user of TMG.

Even if I make an empty file in VCF itself and save it, and then go back and try to make a report and overwrite the existing empty file, the file is gone.

Can anyone help me out ?

Select the Ancestor Box Chart report and use the Delete button under the Configuration name to restore the default report definition.

The Chart Destination should be set to 'View in Visual Chartform'

Make no other changes.

Click' Create Chart'

Does anything happen at this point?

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for your quick reaction.

I did what u proposed, still the same.

Meanwhile I got an email from Wholly Genes and they tell me that there is a bug.

With a 64bits operating system, which I have, reports aren't send to a word processor.

They expect the problem to be fixed soon.

If this is the reason I might have to wait until they fixed the problem.

Paul

Hi,

I am an new user of TMG.

Can anyone help me out ?

Select the Ancestor Box Chart report and use the Delete button under the Configuration name to restore the default report definition.

The Chart Destination should be set to 'View in Visual Chartform'

Make no other changes.

Click' Create Chart'

Does anything happen at this point?

Virginia

OK. Thanks for the reply.

So, I still don't know then why the VCF charts are not working.

Any more suggestions ?

The 64-bit issue (which is not a bug) has nothing to do with VCF charts and they should work for you.

Paul -

(I've moved the topic to the VCF Forum).

To be sure we're on the same page - do not try to save the vcf file before you create it. The Chart Destination 'Save to Visual Chartform' should be ticked by default. Do not enter any Save to information. VCF should open with the chart when you click Create chart.

Did you install the TMG program and your data to the default locations?

Could you have an anti-malware program blocking the call to vcf? Or a Windows7 permissions issue?

Virginia

Virginia,

At First thought it was removed, but I found now where the topic had gone to.

I was doing exactly what u told me. Set it back on default and set to view in visual chart form.

Just like I do when I make a report like Journal report which opens in PDF.

When I do it with all Box chart reports that should give preview in VCF nothing happens.

Don't think anything is blocking VCF, I even set off my virusscanner.

Indeed just like connection between programm and VCF is blocked.

Do I have to install VCF as a printer somewhere in TMG to make a preview ?

regards,

Paul

Paul -

(I've moved the topic to the VCF Forum).

To be sure we're on the same page - do not try to save the vcf file before you create it. The Chart Destination 'Save to Visual Chartform' should be ticked by default. Do not enter any Save to information. VCF should open with the chart when you click Create chart.

Did you install the TMG program and your data to the default locations?

Could you have an anti-malware program blocking the call to vcf? Or a Windows7 permissions issue?

Virginia

Paul -

I hope that other users of VCF with Windows7 will have some suggestions.

How long are you waiting for VCF to open? For a very large chart with many generations or images, it could take several minutes for the data to transfer. Try a simple 1-generation Descendant box chart with no images and see if that could be the problem.

I don't know why an empty chart you saved in VCF stand-alone would not be listed in VCF / File Open and you could not find it later. Is your data stored in the default My Documents folders?

Virginia

Virginia,

At First thought it was removed, but I found now where the topic had gone to.

I was doing exactly what u told me. Set it back on default and set to view in visual chart form.

Just like I do when I make a report like Journal report which opens in PDF.

When I do it with all Box chart reports that should give preview in VCF nothing happens.

Don't think anything is blocking VCF, I even set off my virusscanner.

Indeed just like connection between programm and VCF is blocked.

Do I have to install VCF as a printer somewhere in TMG to make a preview ?

regards,

Paul

Do not install VCF as a printer. VCF is a (separate from TMG) charting/drawing program and is linked to by the TMG genealogy program. TMG passes your requested report definition and user defined parameters to the VCF program as arguments. This occurs automatically when you request TMG to Create Chart.

You can use VCF to hand create your own drawings without using TMG. Have you tried that? The VCF screen contains the chart or drawing, whether it was invoked by TMG or done by hand. The preview option only shows you how the printed drawing would look.

I have no experience with Windows 7. But, grasping at straws: long ago with XP and TMG 5, VCF would fail to run if I had done a "naughty" in the previous use of VCF. A Reboot was needed to clear this problem. I have not experienced this problem with TMG 7. Have you tried to Reboot since you noticed this problem?

Sorry, but that's all I've got,

Virginia,

Just bought the programm. So do not have that much data put in yet.

Now I noticed if I take the person, with whom I can make the largest chart, the blue circle that pops up up when he is waiting for a chart to open, works.

So this means it regenerates data but VCF doesn't open or the data isn't send to VCF.

So thanks for trying to help me out, looking for anyone who experienced the same problem.

Is there anyone who runs TMG on window 7 , 64 bits and has no problems with the BOX charts ?

Paul

Paul -

I hope that other users of VCF with Windows7 will have some suggestions.

How long are you waiting for VCF to open? For a very large chart with many generations or images, it could take several minutes for the data to transfer. Try a simple 1-generation Descendant box chart with no images and see if that could be the problem.

I don't know why an empty chart you saved in VCF stand-alone would not be listed in VCF / File Open and you could not find it later. Is your data stored in the default My Documents folders?

Virginia

Yes, I've been running TMG 7 on Windows 7 - 64 bit for nearly a year with not problem creating box charts. I've created a variety of them. It would appear there is some issue with your system that we don't understand.

Paul -

I don't know why you are seeing the spinning circle icon ('blue circle') while the chart is loading.

I have put a video here showing the chart creation and - with this small chart - the almost instantaneous opening of VCF.

Try the Ancestor Chart from the Sample project as in this example and let us know what you see that is different.

Virginia

Virginia,

The blue circle in windows 7 replace the hourglass as Jim indicates well.

Did exactly what you told me and what is shown in the video.

I installed the program on another computer in network (XP) loaded the data I gave in already and there the charts work perfect.

So I loaded the VC2 chart I saved from the XP computer to the Windows 7 computer.

I opened it in the VCF and what I see then is completely different from what I saw on the XP computer.

Some names are invisible, some data is missing, eg.

So this means that there is defenetly something wrong with the connection between TMG and VCF and with the VCF itself.

Or there is a problem with the programm I downloaded (when I originally installed the program the tags weren't working and I had to reinstall) or it's a problem wit VCF and windows 7 ultimate 64bits.

Gonna reinstall the program and see if it works this time.

Let you know if it works then.

Paul

Paul -

I don't know why you are seeing the spinning circle icon ('blue circle') while the chart is loading.

I have put a video here showing the chart creation and - with this small chart - the almost instantaneous opening of VCF.

Try the Ancestor Chart from the Sample project as in this example and let us know what you see that is different.

Virginia

...it's a problem wit VCF and windows 7 ultimate 64bits.

There is no problem with Win7 x64 and VCF since this problem is unique to your system and is not seen on other Win7 x64 installations.

The full TMG v7.04 installer is here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

I suspect something on your system is interfering.

So I loaded the VC2 chart I saved from the XP computer to the Windows 7 computer.

I opened it in the VCF and what I see then is completely different from what I saw on the XP computer.

Some names are invisible, some data is missing. So this means that there is defenetly something wrong with the connection between TMG and VCF and with the VCF itself.

I don't know how the data could be lost from the saved chart. Something in the network connections?

Virginia

Hi - has anyone solved this problem because I have exactly the same problem as "pdvpdv" and I'm running Windows 7 64bit too.

Best Regards kasper

Edited by kbh

I am not aware of this problem.

I note that one of you is in Denmark and may be using a non-English setup for Win7 - that might be a clue.

Can you replicate this effect when producing a similar chart using the sample project?

Does it happen if you limit the number of generations to a small number (say 4)?

If 4 works increase that until you find a point of failure.

Alternatively, it sounds like one of the system DLL files that is used by VCF in your system is no longer functioning as expected. It may be it has been updated by a Windows update or overwritten with another version when another application has been installed.

kasper -

You might try some of the rightclick options on the vcf.exe file:

Run in compatibility mode (Windows XP). I am also using Win7 x64 and this worked for me when I had a problem opening VCF from TMG. I had to give permission each time when VCF opened, but it worked otherwise. The problem eventually resolved itself and I no longer use WinXP mode.

Check the Privilege level; try Run this program as administrator and also check the Permissions.

Virginia