Is there anyone on the list who is using an iPad and gedview or famviewer?

I would like to share notes with you on how you have formated your gedcom to get the best output for these programs on the iPad.

Specific questions is about sources and exibits.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I do not have an iPad yet, not as easy to come by in Aust yet and still quite expensive for my needs.

But I have and iPod touch in which I have Gedcomed my TMG file into using famviewer.

I have found it ok just, means I have my family history data with me where ever I go, if I do not have my laptop, but so far have not done much with it, eg any editing etc. Not sure if I can ?

Maybe there is an update that I have not done yet to do any editing. My main reason to put it on my iPod touch was just to view if I happend to drop into any archive or place or out somewhere and needed to remember some data, at least I could look at it and view it, so in that respect it has been ok for me to do that.

I have a notebook computer on which I am running TMG, which when I go to an archive I take with me, light easy to carry and can work on battery for a long time, compared to my normal laptop.

all I do when I make any alternations is when I come home it to up date the sqz file in my home laptop.

Biggest issue is to remember to keep the notebook up to date with TMG sqz file before I go to archives etc.

Sorry this is not what you were asking about, but just how I do use the famviewer on my iPod touch.

Ailsa in Brisbane.

Thanks for the reply

I use my iPhone also with famviewer. The screen is kinda small but great for taking pictures at cemeteries and the recording when I get home.

I bough a iPad for my wife on mothers day this year. She has very bad isight and has a hard time reading. But with the iPad she can read great

and infact has read several books since she got the iPad. Lots more than ever before. Best investment I have made.

I am trying to figure out which is the best genealogy software for the iPad and am currently leaning toward gedview. I am just testing it out to see

the best way to set up the gedcom to get what I want. So far I transfer everything.

Some of my sources do not look too good on the iPad so I am looking to see what I can do to help that I need enough so that I can decipher what it means

and be able to explain where it comes from.

I thought about secondsite but have not tried it yet.

Roger

Edited by RWells

Second Sight would be the best choice for the iPad since it uses all TMG data directly and does not involve using a GEDCOM. No other alternative would come close to being comparable.

I seem to recall some discussion about the iPad browser on the Second Site mail list but don't recall the issue.

Second Sight would be the best choice for the iPad since it uses all TMG data directly and does not involve using a GEDCOM. No other alternative would come close to being comparable.

I seem to recall some discussion about the iPad browser on the Second Site mail list but don't recall the issue.

The discussion from John Cardinal is here. Generally says don't use frames, and use a simple style. There may also be an issue with page size, so use only a few people per page.

I haven't an IPad. Can't justify the expense, yet. On Friday I played with an iPad in a computer store. I searched the web for "A Gallery of Websites created with Second Site" http://winters-online.net/ss2websites/ where there are over 350 sites to look at. That will give you an idea on how it would look on an iPad. It would show you why so many of us like Second Site.

If all you want to do was have your database with you, this is the way I would go. Just before yo go researching, create a default site and load onto device. Make notes at the research centre and enter into database at home. Next time regenerate another updated site.

Janice Cornwell

down under

I have a picture attached to an event. Will SS show this picture?

Yes. You will need to think about picture sizes and screen fit. SS allows an alternate exhibits folder so that you can have a set of images formatted for SS and use those rather than the copies in your default TMG exhibits folder.