Al Wilson

Import Sources from FTM

I am trying to import a database from FTM, and it does not seem to accept sources or photos (media). Is there something special that I have to do to import that information. The photo media is not such a big deal, since the total number of them is small (less than 100). But the sources is a bigger problem. The text in the sources is a major effort to recreate.

I am having the same problem with files from FTW ver. 5

The sources are there in part, but the data is scrambled. It seems importing via GEDCOM gets some info and importing via Genbridge gets other info, but neither method gets all the information for tags and sources.

Kathleen,

I responded to your GEDCOM topic.

For direct FTM v5 import, you need updated import components. (This won't affect citation and source import. There are no known import issues there and the import depends entirely on the data being imported.)

The direct FTM import can be done using the Simple Import Wizard. There usually aren't any changes that need to be done with the Advanced Import Wizard.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below and I'll send you updated components.

Jim Byram

Hi Al,

It would help to know which version of FTM you are using and the steps you are taking to import.

I am using FTM2010. I just received TMG a week ago, and it ran the first import routine given in the program. It found one of my FTM databases (I have several), I picked the database, and then it asked some questions about facts or evidence, or something. Then after the question phase, it ran for about 2 hours to import the data (about 2500 people). After it was done, I recognize the names and data. But the sources appear to be gone. Some of the photos came through, but apparently not all of them. So, what do I do. I could try the process again. I could try to fix the FTM database to make it more importable. Or I could try some way to add the sources to the data that did import. I will bring up the question in the user group meeting this week. Any suggestions...

TMG v7.04 does not support the import of a FTM 2010 database. You'll notice that FTM 2010 was not a selection on the list in the import wizard.

You need to export your FTM 2010 database to FTM 2008/2009 and import that database to TMG. Be sure to change the name of the database created when you export to FTM 2008/2009 so that you do no9t overwrite your FTM 2010 database.

TMG v7.04 does not support the import of a FTM 2010 database. You'll notice that FTM 2010 was not a selection on the list in the import wizard.

You need to export your FTM 2010 database to FTM 2008/2009 and import that database to TMG. Be sure to change the name of the database created when you export to FTM 2008/2009 so that you do no9t overwrite your FTM 2010 database.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, and it worked. I had to look around a little bit (not much) to figure out how to save the FTM file in the 2009 format, but after that, the rest worked well.