KathleenC

Tags not available

I'm combining my dataset with a cousin's from Family Tree Maker (I believe it's ver. 5). Some of the tags came through labeled "GEDCOM" or "Note" and I want to change them to proper tag names. However, when I try to change the tag type, all the tags are not available in the list. For instance, trying to tag a burial citation, I go to the list and Burial is not available.

Does anyone know what's going on here???

You need to reimport and use the Advanced Import Wizard.

Step 5: GEDCOM Options 1

You might want to select 'Assume marriage of parents'

Step 7: Tag Types Options

Assign unknown, custom and Event-Misc GEDCOM tags as custom TMG tag types.

For example...

Select the _UID GEDCOM tag type (a custom tag type).

Click [Properties]

Enter a tag type name - for example "_UID" (no quotes)

Select 'save as custom tag type'

Assign to the Other Event group by selecting this.

Click [OK] to complete the operation.

Do this for all unknown (unassigned) and custom (have a leading '_') GEDCOM tag types.

You do the same for GEDCOM tags assigned as Event-Misc.

Select the GEDCOM tag and click [unassign] to unassign.

Then click the [Properties] button and proceed as above.

Don't try to change GEDCOM tags that have been assigned to standard TMG tag types (other than to Event-Misc).

%%%%%%%%%%

FTM 5 is an old program that differs considerably from TMG. I don't know whether the GEDCOM import or the direct import will do the best job. Irrespective of which method is used, there will be considerable post-import cleanup.

Excellent! Thanks, Jim. I knew it would be a problem, but the more steps I can eliminate, the better. The other big problem I have found is that FTM puts any 'comments' in the 'place' field.

I've tried both GEDCOM and direct import - each has its drawbacks - basically, it's just a mess! Hopefully, we can do this just once. :-)

I have found is that FTM puts any 'comments' in the 'place' field.

That's correct. Older FTM versionss (version 16 and earlier) use one field for two types of data - comments and place data. When you move your data to another program, you need to clean that up. There is no way around this.

The best way to deal with this in TMG is to work from the Master Place List. From there, you can select a place and click the [Events] button. Then you can edit each each event and move the data to the appropriate field.

Kathleen,

If you use the advanced import from FTM, at step 5 you can specify how the Location/Comments field is to be interpreted for each event type. If the location or comments usage was consistent for specific types of events in FTM, you may be able to improve the import results by using that feature. Even if it was not completely consistent, you may be able to set it so as to interpret more of the events correctly.

btw... If you are using TMG v7.04 and do not have updated import components, you need to contact me by clicking on the link below and get the updated components. Otherwise, the import won't have the SEX flag set correctly for individuals and some other issues are fixed also.

Jim Byram

If you wish to use the import feature that Terry discusses above, you will need the updated import components. You probably shouldn't need to mess with those settings. Most or all FTM events will already have the optimal setting for comment/place import.