vjsmith

pjc file missing from backup

I have been running tmg 7 for a couple of years now, and have been backing it up using Mozyhome. In January 2010 I got a new Windows 7 computer and was able to successfully transfer my tmg data to that computer and continue my research. Late last month I had a failure on the new computer and after trying everything advised by Dell and Microsoft it appears I will have to revert to my factory settings. Prior to doing that, I am using another Windows 7 computer to confirm that my tmg restore will be successful.

On Mozyhome I have a backup of c/users/myname/documents/The Master Genealogist v7. Within that folder there are seven folders, including

Exhibits, Log and Projects. Within Projects there are many .dbf files for my two projects Perrat and Valerie Smith (total 59). There is no .pjc file in that folder. There is also a Sample folder containing dbf files, again with no .pjc.

I still have access to the backup of the old computer, and the two missing .pjc files are on the old backup, however that backup is from January 2010 and I have added lots of data to tmg on my new computer since then.

My question is -- where are the pjc files stored on a Windows 7 computer? If I don't have it backed up, is there anyway for me to regenerate it using the .dbf files? If I copy the old pjc files from my old XP computer backup, and place them in the new Projects folder, will there be problem? Help!! If anything is confusing please ask and I will try to clarify.

My question is -- where are the pjc files stored on a Windows 7 computer? If I don't have it backed up, is there anyway for me to regenerate it using the .dbf files? If I copy the old pjc files from my old XP computer backup, and place them in the new Projects folder, will there be problem? Help!! If anything is confusing please ask and I will try to clarify.

The .pjc file is in the same folder with the remainder of the project files and should be backed up when the project is backed up.

I'm assuming that your projects are all at the TMG v7.04 level.

Your project files should be located in the Projects folder or in subfolders under the Projects folder.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

You can copy the Sample__.pjc file from the Sample folder under the TMG program folder to where the Sample project files are located under your user data tree (as above).

You can copy the .PJC file from the latest backup of each of your other projects to where the remainder of the project files are located under your user data tree.

You need to make TMG backups and adopt a reliable method of storing those backups so that you don't get into this situation again. A TMG project is a collection of files and all of those files need to be backed up together and restored together. Any other practice is a quick way to lose your data.

The .pjc file is in the same folder with the remainder of the project files and should be backed up when the project is backed up.

I'm assuming that your projects are all at the TMG v7.04 level.

Your project files should be located in the Projects folder or in subfolders under the Projects folder.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

You can copy the Sample__.pjc file from the Sample folder under the TMG program folder to where the Sample project files are located under your user data tree (as above).

You can copy the .PJC file from the latest backup of each of your other projects to where the remainder of the project files are located under your user data tree.

You need to make TMG backups and adopt a reliable method of storing those backups so that you don't get into this situation again. A TMG project is a collection of files and all of those files need to be backed up together and restored together. Any other practice is a quick way to lose your data.

Are you saying that it should be okay for me to use my .pjc file from January after I restore my Projects folder?

Yes.

You should check the Preferences / Current Project Options / Advances tab and correct the paths as needed. If you use a PJC that came from WinXP under Win7, the paths will all be wrong.

Be sure to read the data File Storage help topic and understand it. The Win7 paths are the same as the WinVista paths in the topic.