We networked 2 computers with TMG 7 pre Vista. Once we got new laptops with Vista, no more file sharing with TMG. Life has not been the same since. We now have Windows 7 which we thought would enable us to network again, but not the case. Has anyone else tried to network and succeed?

We've had to change software which I am not happy with. Plus, no one else there allows for file sharing and networking. Any suggestions?

Raleigh, I moved this from the "Tips" forum to the TMG 7 Support Forum.

Terry Reigel

We networked 2 computers with TMG 7 pre Vista. Once we got new laptops with Vista, no more file sharing with TMG. Life has not been the same since. We now have Windows 7 which we thought would enable us to network again, but not the case. Has anyone else tried to network and succeed?

We've had to change software which I am not happy with. Plus, no one else there allows for file sharing and networking. Any suggestions?

Raleigh, I moved this from the "Tips" forum to the TMG 7 Support Forum.

Terry Reigel

What's not networking? TMG? Windows?

It should work fine

I have a Windows XP Pro PC with shared directories on there, that I can see from my Windows 7 laptop.

All I needed to do was to ensure that the same (exactly) user name with the same (exactly) password exists on both and that was it.

If you have no passwords set on either, that could be a problem (IE the PC just goes straight to the Desktop)

Example, if you set the login as Raleigh with password as password123 on one, then also use these on the other. Set up the share and when you go to network on the other it should then be useable

** This also worked on Windows Vista with XP too.

We now have Windows 7 which we thought would enable us to network again, but not the case. Has anyone else tried to network and succeed?

Yes networking works with Windows 7 but be aware that it matters which edition of Windows 7 you have as one pc (Home Premium edition or better) needs to create the group that the other PC can join (Microsoft call the feature Homegroup)