Sign in to follow this  
jonsaunders

Tag Group Control

How can I remove the Baptism tag from the Birth group (without losing the thousands of baptism tags already in my file). I don't want TMG to assume anything about birth date from a baptism date if I should happen to get the baptism date entered first. As it works now, if I enter a baptism date first, I have to delete the baptism tag in order for the system to treat a subsequently entered birth tag as the birth date.

Note: Jon, I moved this topic to the proper forum.

Terry Reigel

If I well understood your problem, You shouldn't remove anything. You simply have to select the Birth Tag (on details window) and click "Primary". The Baptism Tag remains almost as it was, losing only its protagonism.

As vabopi says, you don't need to remove the exiting Baptism tags, instead make the Birth tags primary.

If you really want to move them anyway, you can create a new Baptism tag type, with a slightly different name, in the Other Events group. Then you can use John Cardinal's TMG Utility to change all the existing Baptism tags to the new tag type.

Jon,

While you could use the TMG Utility program feature of "Change Event Type" to change all Baptism events to some other event that was not in the "Birth" group of tag types, I would highly discourage you from doing so. There are advantages to having the Baptism tag provide a "beginning of lifespan" date when you do not have a Birth tag.

To identify all the people that have more than one tag in the Birth group and where their primary tag is Baptism, try the following filter:

// # of Birth Group tags	// > Is greater than // 1 // ANDv // Baptism... // # of Tags  // = Equals		  // 1 // END

Be sure to make the check mark in front of the Baptism... condition (shown above as the 'v'). The check mark defines that condition to be for Primary tags, which is what you are looking for.

You could use this filter on the Project Explorer to identify how many people have this condition, then make a Focus Group of them and work through them one by one. Or you might use the filter on a List of People report, and have the Report Options for Secondary Output set some temporary flag so you could easily find and work on these people.

Making the change is easy. Just click on their Birth tag and press the asterisk key. That will change their Birth tag to Primary.

If you really have too many people with this condition to consider, you could use a rather brutal set of steps in the TMG Utility to help, but only as a last resort. I recommend first checking to see how many people have this condition, and whether it is manageable to do by hand.

Thanks for asking this question. I ran the filter against my data and found one person with this condition where I had not been careful. Most of the time I do an Add Person, and add a Birth tag, possibly with just a "circa" date, and then add the Baptism tag so I don't usually have this issue.

As vabopi says, you don't need to remove the exiting Baptism tags, instead make the Birth tags primary.

Thanks, that does the trick. I wasn't aware of the asterisk key function.

Jon