Bob Greiner

custom tags in List of People report

Is there any way to include custom tags in the various list reports, particularly List of People? I created a new tag "Last Residence" in the Other group to indicate the location where I last discovered a person living. While I could possibly use the place of death, in some cases I don't have that information for some people. I would like to print a report using list of people that includes names, dates, and the Last Residence information. However, in the report options for output columns, there are only a standard set of tags included in the drop down lists. Is there any way to add the new tag to this list? I want to output the report to an Excel file so I can manipulate it into a table.

Provided the dates you are interested in displaying are those on the custom tag, I think a List of Events will work better for your purposes.

Tag Type ... Label Equals Last Residence END

Should work well. I just ran it on my custom 1880 tag and got 481 events.

You can then "print" out all the Last Residence events along with Principal 1 an Principal 2 along with the place data for the tag and the date. Sort it by county or city or whatever with a secondary sort by name, or any combination of columns available.

A List of Witnesses will work too, and it will list all witnesses as well as principals.

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

VP Arlington "RUG"

DC Area TMG Users Group

Sorry, Bob, I don't think you can do this with the List of People report. But I think a different report may give you what you want. I suggest using the List of Events report. In that list you can filter for people and events with certain characteristics.

For example, let's say you wanted a list of people that had the custom Flag "SPECIAL" set to 'Y' and wanted their Birth, Death, and LastResidence tag. I would use something like the following filter (notice the parentheses):

Principal1... // SPECIAL // = Equals // Y			 //   // AND (  Tag Type...   // Label   // Contains // Birth		 //   // OR   Tag Type...   // Label   // Contains // Death		 //   // OR   Tag Type...   // Label   // Contains // LastResidence // ) // END

Then for the Options / Output Columns I would probably have something like:

1   Prin1 ID	Prin1 Last, Given	Tag Type Label2   Sort Date	Place

Using the List of Events this way you can output only specific events for specific people. And by sorting by ID then by Sort Date will group them by person and list them within person the way they show in the Details screen.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thank you both for your suggestions. Unfortunately, in my mind I am looking for a single line of output per person containing birth and death dates, as well as the place of last residence, and some flag values as well. If I search for multiple events, the resulting report contains multiple output lines per person. I would then have to manipulate that file to merge multiple lines into a single data row.