Sign in to follow this  
JohnR

Married name variable

I can't find a variable which will force the use of a woman's married name in a sentence eg. "She is probably the Alice [Married Name] whose death was registered in December 1909 in Bristol"

And whilst I am here, has there been any sign of implementation of a very old wish of mine that we can use a surname only variable in sentences?

John,

There is no variable that returns the married name, but you can choose which name is used. In the upper-right corner of the Tag Entry screen there is a pulldown menu that defaults to "primary name". You can change that to one of the other name variations. As far as I know, there's no way to configure TMG such that a particular name tag is the default for a specific tag type.

As John said, you can pick which Name tag to use for a sentence by the drop-down name list for that person. I don't know about your wish, but as a workaround for the Surname only, you can make a Name tag with double exclusion marks ('--') in every field except the surname, and then use that Name tag from the drop-down list to get only the surname.

John,

In the upper-right corner of the Tag Entry screen there is a pulldown menu that defaults to "primary name". You can change that to one of the other name variations.

I don't know how many times I have looked at that screen and not realised that was anything significant. (A quick calculation suggests about 144,000 times). Thanks for all the advice.