I am interested in the Pedigree Booklets that Patt and Teresa have posted. I am talking about charts to our Boston TMG user group this Saturday and I thought the Pedigree Booklet is such a good idea. It would be a nice topic. However - I have some questions.....

1. I don't quite understand the basic format of how you print the charts on a page. Are you printing the center two charts (the subjects fathers ancestors and mothers ancestors) on one page, so that when the book opens up you see both charts? Or is there one chart to a page, and then the pages get pasted together?

2. Teresa said 'The mother goes on the left side, the father on the right'.

Patt's chart has the father on the left and the mother on the right.

Is there a general consensus as to which one goes where?

Actually I think I prefer the father on the left and the mother on the right, but I will go with the acceptable norm

3. Patt's booklet has the chart for the first two pages, and then starts printing the extended charts, starting with the father. Even though the father's chart is a left-to-right chart, when the extended charts are printed, they are right-to-left charts. Is that the usual practice?

4. How do you get page numbers? Manually?

5. The 'continued on ' phrase - I assume that is entered manually. If not, then you would get the phrase when there is no continuation.....

6. Is each chart created one-by-one? I.e. enter the person's number, print, enter next person's number, print, etc.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's such a neat idea.

Thanks for the help

Linda Reinfeld

I am interested in the Pedigree Booklets that Patt and Teresa have posted. I am talking about charts to our Boston TMG user group this Saturday and I thought the Pedigree Booklet is such a good idea. It would be a nice topic. However - I have some questions.....

1. I don't quite understand the basic format of how you print the charts on a page. Are you printing the center two charts (the subjects fathers ancestors and mothers ancestors) on one page, so that when the book opens up you see both charts? Or is there one chart to a page, and then the pages get pasted together?

2. Teresa said 'The mother goes on the left side, the father on the right'.

Patt's chart has the father on the left and the mother on the right.

Is there a general consensus as to which one goes where?

Actually I think I prefer the father on the left and the mother on the right, but I will go with the acceptable norm

3. Patt's booklet has the chart for the first two pages, and then starts printing the extended charts, starting with the father. Even though the father's chart is a left-to-right chart, when the extended charts are printed, they are right-to-left charts. Is that the usual practice?

4. How do you get page numbers? Manually?

5. The 'continued on ' phrase - I assume that is entered manually. If not, then you would get the phrase when there is no continuation.....

6. Is each chart created one-by-one? I.e. enter the person's number, print, enter next person's number, print, etc.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's such a neat idea.

Thanks for the help

Linda Reinfeld

Thank you for your description of Patt and Theresa's booklets. The booklets sound like a great idea !!! If any one knows Patt and Theresa, please ask them to post procedures and examples for their booklets as a topic on this forum. It would be greatly appreciated by all.

Using TMG, each pedigree chart is generated separately via the subject's ID number or name. Once generated to VCF, charts may be hand edited, combined, saved to a file and printed. The chart files can be recalled later, and processeed further, using VCF.

Best wishes,

Link to postings:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...?showtopic=5991

The link is also in the pinned message 'One-page-charts' at the top of VCF forum.

Virginia

Thanks again, Virginia.

Best wishes,

Chart2.jpg

This is pretty close. I made it a single letter-size page, Portrait, assuming they would in a notebook or taped together. If you planned to use larger paper, folded, you could put opposing charts on one page. Make each chart separately, enlarge the canvas and copy the second chart to the first.

My settings are

Options:

4-generation ancestor chart

Mother - left-to-right orientation (Father would be right-to-left)

Boxes - 115 width, no minimal

Gap between boxes: same generations 10, between generations 20

Box fill transparent

Frame - other file, fancy frames: ribbonyellow(20f).emf chain

changed frame width to 15

Text - Tahoma 8 B for names; Tahoma 8 R for data

Data types - default, but at lower left on that page make Place preposition Blank so you don't get a lot of blank lines with just a preposition showing.

Other - Remove blank lines, Allow word wrap, text alignment left

Tip: Have a 'Run last Report' button on your custom toolbar. This saves a lot of time when tweaking a chart.

Tip for taping: I do not use cutlines and overlap pages. Instead I align the two pages (abutting - not overlapping - and face-up) and tape them in two blank places with removable scotch-type tape. Flip the pages over carefully and use permanent scotch tape on the back to join them. Then remove the tape on the front sides. For heavier paper, a librarian's gummed tape is wonderful for joining the pages on the back.

Virginia

Hi Virginia -

Thanks so much for the instructions. I had made a fairly decent pedigree chart, but yours looks better!

I had to tweak my settings a little to get it to fit on one page.

diagram location - offset from left margin - 10

gap between boxes - between generations - 25

I like checking blank prepositions - it removes the 'b' blank and 'd' blank.

It is somewhat difficult to create a standard chart because of all the variations in data. Some of my place names seem to be quite long. Combined with long names, your boxes can get quite tall, and run off the page!

Thanks for your pinned one-page charts. I will be making good use of all of it - or as much as I have time and patience for - this Saturday!

Linda Reinfeld

Linda -

I changed the box gaps also, and edited my message above to include those numbers: within same generations 10, between generations 20.

Instead of using the phrase 'Continued on...', you could insert numbers like those in the TMG Pedigree Report. There is a collection of numbers in the VCF Palette downloadable here. Those numbers are in boxes, but you can rightclick and change the box line to transparent and have a stand-alone number.

Virginia

Patt’s pedigree booklet

These are the basic steps. I hope I’ve not forgotten anything important. It was quite a long time ago that I set this up.

After generating the charts it does require you to do some customization.

First you need to create the report templates. They are Ancestor Box charts

Ancestor Chart booklet left (this is the left side of the 1st 2 pages of the booklet)

Chart style:

right to left

max generations 4

I don’t change the title as I customize it after I generate the chart.

Boxes:

width 140 (I think I changed this so it would fit on the page properly)

box fill color white

box border white

frame - other file - I used starsgold (under fancy frames)

Lines & Text - I doubt that I changed

background - solid - white

I have image off at this is a research tool for me

data types are up to you

Other is also up to you. Although, blanks for missing dates is nice so you can write in your findings.

Generate the chart and see if you like it. You want to make sure you got all the data you want on the finished booklet

Once you have what you want, you can make the customizations.

On the 4th generation boxes you need to add the continued info.

Right click on the box, and add line to box.

Right click on the box again and select detail properties.

Go to the bottom of the list and select Text (New Line)

Select Properties and then text. Type in the box: Continued on page 1 (for top box)

(I then copy “Continued on page” so I can paste it on each of the next boxes and just have to add the appropriate number)

After you finish adding the extra line you’re going to have to adjust the spacing on the boxes to adjust for the extra line.

Next you create the 2nd template. Use the first template and go to the options and change Box to left to right. And save this as:

Ancestor Chart Booklet right (this is the right side of the 1st 2 pages)

Generate the chart and add the extra lines to the 4th generation and customize your title.

The last template you need is a blank chart. Open Ancestor Chart right and go to options. On the bottom left of chart style, select blank chart. Click ok and save this as Ancestor chart booklet right blank. Generate this chart and save it as a Blank chart.

(Note you can save them with any name, but these were the names I used)

If you make any changes to the templates be sure and change the other templates.

Use the booklet right chart to generate all the continued on pages.

When you have a line that ends before the 4th generation you use the blank chart to fill in the spaces. Open the blank chart you saved. Select the missing selections you need to add to your chart and copy them and paste them on the booklet chart. I find it easiest to select the section I need and right click on the selection and select group.

I use the title to create the page number on the 1st continued chart. I note where it is and then copy and paste that on the other pages.

I know this sounds like a lot of work. But once you have it you only have replace pages you find new info for. If you only want to replace info on one person you can generate a new chart and copy and paste the one box onto a previously saved page.

I hope this helps any interested people

Patt

Just a few thoughts: How about adding images to the boxes. Within reason, if you increase the width of the boxes, you wind up with an overall smaller chart (try 176 pixels, if you frequently encounter long names). It is usually easy to compensate for the added width by overlapping generations 1 and 2. It only takes a moment to do. Remember, individual boxes can be widened or narrowed when needed and appropriate.

How about importing large images where appropriate? They can be partially overlayed by chart components. Not using custom frames will gain much room on the chart and simplify the job. Their sizzle can be replaced by having images.

Nice work, keep those good ideas coming,

Patt -

Thanks very much for the information. Yesterday I gave a charting lecture/hands-on workshop to our group on charting. I started out with 5-generation ancestor chart, and unfortunately that took up 95% of the time! But I had a little time left to show examples of pedigree charts. I had printed out your chart, one that Virginia had done, and another I made up myself. And I gave them instructions as to creating the charts. Hopefully some will try them at home. It is such a nice concept.

Thanks for the extra instructions - the 'continued on' pages. They are a bit more complicated to do, and involve more hand editing, especially when all the ancestors aren't there, and you need to add extra boxes. But I see that it can be done.

Again, many thanks, and I'm sorry that the question caused you so many problems with the frames!!

Linda Reinfeld