jonsaunders

TMG7 Crash Changing Screens

I wrote on the forum on this topic (or similar) once before, but now I can't find the thread. I am using TMG 7.04 on a dual monitor WinXP 32 bit system with current maintenance and multi-monitor enabled in TMG. The problem I experience often is TMG crashes when I move it's window from one monitor to the other or when I click away from TMG to another app on the other monitor.

At first the problem seemed to be random, but being a (former) professional developer/programmer, I know that crashes are really never random, there is always a cause, just need to find it.

Well, after many, many observations, I believe I now have a clue as to the cause, and it seems to be "focus".

I use a three panel TMG layout with Details, Children, and Siblings panels. If the current focus in TMG is in the Details panel, particularly with the word "Name" highlighted, I don't seem to have a problem. But if the current focus in TMG is in either the Children, or especially the Siblings panel, the crash is almost inevitable.

As a workaround I try to remember to establish focus in the Details panel before switching monitors or tasks, but I sometimes, in haste, (I work on this thing 6-8 hours a day and it is easy to do) I forget to set focus and sure enough TMG crashes.

Does this information help?

I wrote on the forum on this topic (or similar) once before, but now I can't find the thread. I am using TMG 7.04 on a dual monitor WinXP 32 bit system with current maintenance and multi-monitor enabled in TMG. The problem I experience often is TMG crashes when I move it's window from one monitor to the other or when I click away from TMG to another app on the other monitor.

At first the problem seemed to be random, but being a (former) professional developer/programmer, I know that crashes are really never random, there is always a cause, just need to find it.

Well, after many, many observations, I believe I now have a clue as to the cause, and it seems to be "focus".

I use a three panel TMG layout with Details, Children, and Siblings panels. If the current focus in TMG is in the Details panel, particularly with the word "Name" highlighted, I don't seem to have a problem. But if the current focus in TMG is in either the Children, or especially the Siblings panel, the crash is almost inevitable.

As a workaround I try to remember to establish focus in the Details panel before switching monitors or tasks, but I sometimes, in haste, (I work on this thing 6-8 hours a day and it is easy to do) I forget to set focus and sure enough TMG crashes.

Does this information help?

Wow. I have a similar setup on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines and have never had TMG crash while dragging it from one monitor to another, whatever the programs internal focus. The first thing I'd try is to uncheck "use multiple monitors." Mine isn't checked and, as I said, I'm having no problems. The video drivers organize the screens. If the problem persists I'd make sure that the video drivers are the latest version, and perhaps reinstall them just for luck even if they are up to date. Do you have one display card or two?

Hope this helps.

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

I have a single ATI Radeon X1300 video card (ca 2006) with dual DVI ports. It appears that I have upgraded the video driver once or maybe twice (8.4), but I do not appear to be at the latest level (9.3) for this, now legacy, card.

In the past I tried toggling the TMG multi-monitor setting on and off with no discernable difference.

I'll wait to see if there is any comment from the TMG folks before I jump into changing drivers and potentially destablizing my now very stable system.

Edited by jonsaunders

If this is a crash, there may be a VFP9 error message. Those are recorded in the vfp9rerr.log which is located in the system32 folder (WinXP). Only the first error message in the incident is meaningful.

Both monitors have the same screen resolution? You did say though that it also happens when you switch to another app on the same monitor.

Virginia

If this is a crash, there may be a VFP9 error message. Those are recorded in the vfp9rerr.log which is located in the system32 folder (WinXP). Only the first error message in the incident is meaningful.

Both monitors have the same screen resolution? You did say though that it also happens when you switch to another app on the same monitor.

Virginia

Yes, both monitors are at the same resolution.

Yes, I believe that it is a VFP9 error, but for some reason the latest entry in the log file you name is from 2008.

I don't ever recall a TMG crash when switching apps on the same monitor.

I believe that I posted the error message the last time I reported the problem. How can one find their prior posts here?

Jon

Use the Search function (upper right of screen) and click 'More Search Options'. You've posted in 9 topics prior to this one, but none obviously refer to this issue (without checking each post).

Found another instance of the VFPRerr.log file. Here is the error message text:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2010.11.21 12:24:08 AM. Error log file: C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\VFP9Rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 556 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

This error log file is 26kb in size and filled with nothing but this same error message over and over again.

Found another instance of the VFPRerr.log file. Here is the error message text:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2010.11.21 12:24:08 AM. Error log file: C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\VFP9Rerr.log

Called from - tmgmain line 556 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist v7\tmg7.exe}

This error log file is 26kb in size and filled with nothing but this same error message over and over again.

C0000005 is the code for unhandled access violation. If you check for system errors in the event viewer (in XP I think that is found at Control Panel/Administrative tools) you should find the errors reported in more detail. With luck it will tell you specifically what program or driver produced the error. I do not think it is TMG. If it were, this forum would be full of howls of agony. There is a good chance that the problem is somewhere in the video drivers.

One other thing you might try is to close every program you can except TMG and make sure the crash still occurs. If it does then at least you've narrowed the field to XP, your drivers, and TMG. A fresh install of TMG might be indicated at that point.

There are also a few computer worms that can produce this behavior -- try scanning with a good anti-virus program. Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast are both free and could at least relieve you of that worry.

Robert

It's a FoxPro error that is happening outside of the TMG code and is probably a memory or timing issue. The error message tells us nothing.

The only way that such an error can be worked with is to be able to replicate it exactly. That means that the setup and your exact steps in creating the error must be recorded.

C0000005 is the code for unhandled access violation. If you check for system errors in the event viewer (in XP I think that is found at Control Panel/Administrative tools) you should find the errors reported in more detail. With luck it will tell you specifically what program or driver produced the error. I do not think it is TMG. If it were, this forum would be full of howls of agony. There is a good chance that the problem is somewhere in the video drivers.

There is nothing in the System error log to match this time stamp. In the Application error log the matching record identifies Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9 as the culprit with event numbers 1000 and 1001.

It's a FoxPro error that is happening outside of the TMG code and is probably a memory or timing issue. The error message tells us nothing.

The only way that such an error can be worked with is to be able to replicate it exactly. That means that the setup and your exact steps in creating the error must be recorded.

Sounds like it is time to jetison VFP9 and move to a platform with a future. I sure would like to hear what WG's plans are in this regard. I have a huge investment in TMG7 and it is getting larger every day. Maybe the new platform would be able to extract a GEDCOM in less than the 4.5 hours that TMG7 takes. My prior package of choice could do it in about ten minutes. Unfortunately that package was abandoned by its creators. Hope I haven't bet on two wrong horses in a row.