rowan.bradley

Problems upgrading from v6 to v7

I have just upgraded from v6 to v7. I've backed up my project from v6 to a SQZ file, and restored it into v7. All seemed to go well. I've then made a few changes to my database, closed TMG7, and opened it again. The first thing I notice is that the "open last" button is greyed out. If I choose "Select" and navigate to the PJC file, it tells me that it is a TMG5 or 6 file, and I need to back it up using TMG6. This is _not_ a TMG5/6 file. It was not there before I restored my backup into TMG7. It was created by TMG7. I've now tried this twice, with the same result.

What's going on? How do I convert my data so I can work on it in TMG7? As far as I know, I don't want ever to go back to TMG6, so an irreversible conversion would be fine.

Thanks - Rowan

Read the data File Storage help project to determine where your project should be located.

Where was the project that you tried to open located?

Thanks for your reply.

Read the data File Storage help project to determine where your project should be located.

I've done this. There's a lot to absorb here.

Where was the project that you tried to open located?

The original TMG6 project file was in \\Sue-pc\c\Users\RowanB\Documents\Genealogy\TMG Projects\Sylvester-Bradley__.PJC

The SQZ file that I created using TMG6 was in \\Sue-pc\c\Users\RowanB\Documents\Genealogy\TMG Projects\Backup\SYLVESTER-BRADLEY 2010-11-26 18-09-02.sqz

The new project created by TMG7 was in the default location, which is C:\Users\Rowan2\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\Sylvester-Bradley__.PJC

It seems odd that I'm having these problems since (as far as I know) I'm not trying to do anything at all complicated. Surely everyone who upgrades from TMG6 to 7 must have to do exactly what I'm trying to do? It can't be this difficult!

Thanks - Rowan

I have no ideas as to why there is a problem but let's get the network out of the equation.

Try this.

Copy the v6 backup to the current machine.

Delete the project that you have created...

C:\Users\Rowan2\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\Sylvester-Bradley__.PJC

Restore from the current machine and see if it works correctly.

btw... If you have one project, the Projects folder is fine. If you have multiple projects, I'd suggest putting each in its own folder under the Projects folder.