I have been using TMG 7.04 with no problems backing up either during use or when I close the program'

Starting yesterday when I have tried to backup whilst the program was running, or when closing, I get the following message:

"Input file failure: This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another process.

After then clicking on "OK", the following message then appears:

"error occurred during backup. The ouput file C:{pathname etc}/{file name}.sqz could not be created"

I have run the File Integrity check without finding a fault, and I have tried backing up again after rebooting the computer (Vista). The problem is still there.

Grateful for help on this.

Ken

You are backing up using a legal user path on your hard drive?

This message occurs on some user systems when backing up to a removable drive or even to a hard drive other than the boot and data drives.

You might also try limiting your backup to the project files, accents and filters.

Thanks for your comments. I am limiting my backup to the project file, accents and filters and the backup is to the came "C:" drive on the computer which runs the TMG program. I have been backing up succesfully for the last couple of years on this computer and as far as I know have not changed anything and am backing up in the same way as I have always done. This problem has only just cropped up a day ago.

You are backing up using a legal user path on your hard drive?

This message occurs on some user systems when backing up to a removable drive or even to a hard drive other than the boot and data drives.

You might also try limiting your backup to the project files, accents and filters.

I had the same problem and found that I had other then JPG files included with my exhibits. I removed the 3 PDF files in that folder and the next backup ran OK.

It worked OK one time and then the problem occurred again?

Edited by ejspuler

I had the very same problem which now has mysteriously resolved itself. However, I still have jpg, bmp, gif, pdf, xls and doc files still included in my exhibits. The only thing I did differently before getting a fully successful FULL backup, was:

1 - Removed all exhibits for the first 33 folks in my database (to a safe location)

2 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed the missing exhibits)

3 - Reindexed

4 - Optimized

5 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful.

6 - Moved the relocated exhibits back to the correct folder

7 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed NO missing exhibits)

8- Reindexed

9 - Optimized

10 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful. WHEW!!!

Don't know if this will apply to your project, but my problems seem to have started when the FULL BACKUP got to be over 1 GB.

I wonder if the problem is related to the number (and size) of files in the backup folder. My backup folder had not been cleared to a couple of years and had a hugh number of backups in it. Once I had removed them, except for the last three or four, I had no further problems.

I had the very same problem which now has mysteriously resolved itself. However, I still have jpg, bmp, gif, pdf, xls and doc files still included in my exhibits. The only thing I did differently before getting a fully successful FULL backup, was:

1 - Removed all exhibits for the first 33 folks in my database (to a safe location)

2 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed the missing exhibits)

3 - Reindexed

4 - Optimized

5 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful.

6 - Moved the relocated exhibits back to the correct folder

7 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed NO missing exhibits)

8- Reindexed

9 - Optimized

10 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful. WHEW!!!

Don't know if this will apply to your project, but my problems seem to have started when the FULL BACKUP got to be over 1 GB.

I wonder if the problem is related to the number (and size) of files in the backup folder. My backup folder had not been cleared to a couple of years and had a hugh number of backups in it. Once I had removed them, except for the last three or four, I had no further problems.

I started getting this error only after a hard disk failure. The hard disk was replaced and the technician managed to save virtually all my data, so all I had to do was reinstall the applications. I restored TMG data from a very recent backup and apparently had no problems except backing up to the hard drive. As far as I can tell, the default path is correct, and all exhibits display properly.

In my case when I click "OK" on the first error message, the second one reads "Error occurred during backup. Output file write failure, possible disk full". But the hard drive is less than 50% full (it's a 268GB drive), I have full backups of about 300MB, and usually only keep 2 or 3 old backups on the hard drive, and others on removable media.

Backups to removable media are no problem whatsoever.

:huh:

Edited by RadioHead