Hi - This is very much off topic, but I wanted to share something I just saw...

Rarely, does something truly "groundbreaking" hit genealogy, but I just viewed a video for a software application still under development that can only be described as that.

The product, called GeneaQuilts, is a stand-alone Java-based application that provides an innovative, new way to visualize large genealogies with thousands of people. The graphical clarity and simplicity for presenting such complex data knocked me out!

It was created by a visual analytics team called "Aviz" at INRIA (Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique) in Sarclay (near Paris) headed by Anastasia Bezerianos, a PhD research scientist and assistant professor at École Centrale Paris.

(The developers made a presentation at the IEEE InfoViz Conference in Salt Lake City in October, and Dick Eastman recently posted a little blurb about it on his blog.)

A link to the GeneaQuilts website is below.

http://www.aviz.fr/geneaquilts/

I encourage you to click on the embedded YouTube video to see what got me excited.

FYI: If you are interested in reading the white paper on GeneaQuilts, you can find it here:

http://www.aviz.fr/geneaquilts/bezerianos.pdf

I have not downloaded the free beta app yet, but I plan to give it a spin soon.

Bien amicalement,

Earl

GeneaQuilts is really a new approach to the way we see genealogy, only by reading .ged files. I have installed this program (together with Graphwiz, as suggested) and the result is very impressive, to say the least.

The youtube video deserves a good look.

Thanks, Earl for bringing this to my attention.

Vasco

I've just tried this and after struggling a bit with the installation, I must say that I am very impressed with the results.

It looks good and new, easy to see and shows great potential for the future. One to keep an eye on for sure.

Ben

Vabopi

What a beautiful icon you have.

Chris

Thank you Chris & June.

In fact it is the seal of the 1st king of Portugal (btw 1143-1185), now reproduced on one face of the eurocents coined in Portugal.

It is said - and generally accepted - that after about 25 generations he is a forefather of most of the portuguese present population.