shampayne

Instructions about Exhibits on Journal Report

TMG V7.04 ; Windows XP ; Microsoft Word 2002 (10.6866 6867) SP3

A while ago my computer crashed completely (yes I had my up to date TMG saved) and after getting it repaired I set up TMG again but I must have made a mistake in the settings. I use the Journal Report quite often just for myself, but this time I set it up to show the exhibits which I have done before though not for some time. Options>Exhibits>(Images as Endnotes; Include (Export) internal images; Include external images; Copy to destination folder; Reference full path names; Center person images; With caption, Include event images; For each person include: All images)

I got the usual notice as below BUT this notice appears to be too big. At the top it is sitting under the toolbars and at the bottom it goes down below the bottom of the screen. I have tried to manually change the size on the sides by using my browser but although I get the double arrow nothing happens

Please note

The word file that was produced includes links to external exhibit files

I order to view those images in Word, you must open the file in Word and:

In Word 2003 or earlier ...

1. access the Edit menu

2. Choose Links

In Word 2007 or later ...

etc, etc, etc

I have been able to work around this problem by going Start>Explore and then finding The Master Genealogist v7>Report_output>(and the particular DOC file) and doing what the notice above says and I get the report with the images which I was able to send away to a relative but then I have to close TMG by CTR-ALT-Delete which is not the wisest thing to do!

Could someone please suggest where I should look to change the settings so this doesn't happen again (possibly in File>Preferences) so that I can include the images in the report if needed. At the present time I am using the Journal Report with No Exhibits

TIA

The v7 resizing method has a minimum size for some windows, and that may be the problem you are running into. In Preferences / Program Options / Other, try changing the resizing method to v5/6 and see if that allows you to make the notice smaller. You can also get some more room on the screen by turning off the status bar (Preferences / Program Options / General), and by using small buttons in the toobars.

Virginia

Thanks for your comments Virgina but I am still having the trouble

My resizing was set to 5/6so I unticked that and reset it (and used "Apply") but neither setting made any difference

I unticked the status bar and have left it like that

All my buttons on my toolbar areas are set to small

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

Notice.png

Try using 'Center the Current Window' on the Windows menu in TMG. It's an off-chance but might bring the Notice down.

Is the problem that you can't see the OK button on the bottom of the Notice window to click on it? If so, you should be able to press the Enter key (same as OK) to close the notice, finish generating the report - and either leave TMG open or close it normally when you wish. That will at least allow you to make reports until we can figure out how to resize the notice.

Can you see any more of the Notice if you close all the toolbars temporarily? If you can downsize it once or move it down on your screen, it should retain that smaller size and location next time.

So you will have a full copy of the Notice instructions I included a screenshot above which you can rightclick on to download and print out.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your problem -

Virginia

post-23-1292028950_thumb.png

Try using 'Center the Current Window' on the Windows menu in TMG. It's an off-chance but might bring the Notice down.

Is the problem that you can't see the OK button on the bottom of the Notice window to click on it? If so, you should be able to press the Enter key (same as OK) to close the notice, finish generating the report - and either leave TMG open or close it normally when you wish. That will at least allow you to make reports until we can figure out how to resize the notice.

Can you see any more of the Notice if you close all the toolbars temporarily? If you can downsize it once or move it down on your screen, it should retain that smaller size and location next time.

So you will have a full copy of the Notice instructions I included a screenshot above which you can rightclick on to download and print out.

Let me know if I'm not understanding your problem -

Virginia

Thanks very much Virginia

Yes I couldn't see the "OK button" - nor the top of the notice - but when I pressed the Enter Key everything worked as it had beforehand

(When I looked for Center the Current Window on the Windows Menu in TMG they were all grey which means you can't use them)

Thanks again because now I know what to do